PDA

View Full Version : Please help me write this letter....

ALM
December 13th, 2005, 10:45 PM
I lift weights at a gym and occasionally swim there when I can't get to my Masters workouts. Their pool is adequate (4 lanes, 25 yards) but it doesn't have backstroke flags. I'm going to write to the manager of the gym to request that they install flags, but I'm having trouble describing them. (I'm making the assumption that the manager is clueless about competitive swimming.) Below is what I've written so far; can anyone help me with the wording?

------------------------------------------------
Dear _______,

I am a member of the ____ club. One of the reasons I chose your club was because of the pool. I am a competitive Masters swimmer and need access to a pool when I can’t swim with my team. You keep your pool at a much better temperature for competitive swimming (80-82 degrees) than most of the other fitness centers do.

I am writing to request that you add one safety feature to the pool: backstroke flags. All competitive pools have backstroke flags. These flags are hung above the pool. Their purpose is to give the swimmer a visual warning that he is approaching the end of the lane.

Without backstroke flags, it is very easy, even for an experienced swimmer, to swim head-first into the wall. As you can imagine, a serious head or neck injury could result.

The flags themselves can just be a simple string of plastic “pennant” flags, like what you see a realtor use outside of an open house. Two strings would be needed; one for each end of the pool. Each string of flags needs to be stretched across the pool (across all four lanes), at a distance of 15 feet from the end of the pool.

This is hard to explain in writing but I would be happy to discuss it with you in person. The easiest way to hang the flags would probably be to screw eye-bolts into the walls, then tie the string of flags to the eye-bolts.
------------------------------------------------------

dorothyrde
December 14th, 2005, 06:49 AM
You could also reference them with a picture, like from the Kiefer catalog. I don't think they are an extreme cost, our Y just bought new ones.

patrick
December 14th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Jayhawk:

Your letter seems fine, yet I wouldn't "hold your breath" on them moving on the purchase. Gyms usually cater to weight lifters, aerobic classes, and number one--increasing their memberships.

I too belong to a gym with a pool in addition to the other facility I belong to which is a "swimming facility". The gym pool is only 4 ft. deep, they don't allow fins or paddles, and the water temperture is near 85 degrees--not exactly ideal for a workout.

My suggestion, use the gym pool for kicking, drills, underwater 25's, and no breather 25's. Just use it as a compliment to your Master's workout. Work on technique, increasing your hypoxic capacity, and your leg power.

fatboy
December 14th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Here's a link to backstroke flags at Adolph Kiefer. They are fairly inexpensive - about $100 . Do they have uprights to mount the flags? If not that would be an additional expense.

http://www.kiefer.com/Kiefer/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=600120&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=7E677CCB28BD42A986D244C7FDA05A86