PDA

View Full Version : broken ribs

IndyGal
December 15th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Okay, long story, but I managed to break a rib this week. It's not a bad break, but it's still uncomfortable enough to keep me out of the pool for a while. Anyone else come back after a similar injury? I'm wondering how long I should expect to be out before I get back into the pool. The doctor didn't have a specific guideline, just said that it varies. In the meantime, I'm worried that all the skills I've worked on so hard for the past year are going to disappear while I'm lounging around resting. :(

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 15th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Once I was walking my dog. I coughed as he pulled on the leash. I felt a sharp pain in my right chest. I had had a pneumothorax at a nother tiem. I went to the ER and I had craked a rib. All of the doctors & nurses thought that it was really funny. they knew me from treating me for asthma attacks. Good thing was they didn't bill me because they were so glad that it was rahter minor. Lesson of the story is that if you crack a rib go to the ER at George Washington Univ.

Alex
December 16th, 2005, 01:49 PM
I also broke one of my ribs four years ago, as a fell from my mountain bike, I was forntuned to had my hamlet on as it did also break.

It took me about two weeks to get back in the pool, but I was not able to swimm very well until another week, and I did not make any fly style until more than two months after.

I understand that the time it takes each one to start doing excercise depends on the type of rupture.

My doctor was neither specific on what to do or what not to, only told me do as you feel.

Be patient. :rolleyes:

Frank Thompson
December 16th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Indy Gal:

I had broken ribs last year and it happened on January 2, 2005. I was basically out of the water for 6 to 8 weeks and when I returned I could not do the training that I normally do until June 1, 2005. It was slow to heal but I fell pretty hard on ice and came down between some wooden stairs. I could feel pain and didn't feel completely painless until August when I did workouts.

I think the healing depends on the seriousness of the injury and the type of reabilitation that you do. Its different for everyone.

matysekj
December 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I broke a rib a few years back. Looking it up in my yardage log, I tried to get back in after 2 weeks but could only make it for 700 yards. Tried again at around 4 weeks and made 1100 and 1500 in two tries and then stayed out a few more weeks. Finally at 6 weeks I was able to start working back up towards normal practices. These things need some time to heal. If I remember correctly, those earlier attempts involved kicking only and were very painful. If it happened again, I'd wait until I could cough or sneeze without pain before getting back in the water.