PDA

View Full Version : Body composition and Channel Swimmers?

PoulsboH20
December 22nd, 2005, 12:34 AM
I'm trying to get general information on percent body fat found on Channel Swimmers. Numbers for either gender are fine. if anyone has any resources please let me know.

Thanks.

jim clemmons
December 22nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
Which "Channel"?

Glenn
December 22nd, 2005, 08:09 PM
I think it's channel 7 Jim!:D

jim clemmons
December 22nd, 2005, 08:16 PM
I didn't think about that Glenn. You're right. Maybe it's channel surfers, not swimmers. I think most channel surfers are about 25-40% body fat probably. :rolleyes:

gemich
December 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
You might want to contact Suzie Dods of San Francisco who belongs to the English Channel Discussion Group similar to this. Suzie is an active member of the Channel Discussion Group and can probably steer you to the right contact or know herself.

Her email is suziedods@hotmail.com

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 23rd, 2005, 06:13 PM
All my life I've wanted to cross the channel. I'm thin and I get cold ingeneral easily. But I really want to do it in 2007. I have soem fat on my stomach. IN 1997 through 2001, I had some operations on my gut. I think that if I coudl regain some of the weight I lost, I'd do myuch better.

PoulsboH20
December 23rd, 2005, 09:43 PM
The reason for my question is that I'd seen a group picture of some English Channel swimmers in the USMS magazine within the last year or so. When I showed it to anyone they all commented on their "insulation". In constrast, the only English Channel swimmer who I have actually ever swum with was Rose Rice who was anything but heavy.
I was just trying to get a general idea of body composition for that event.

Rob Copeland
December 23rd, 2005, 11:52 PM
JB,

There is no one body composition for channel swimmers. You will find that quite a few carry a few pounds (10 – 40) for insulation. That’s my excuse. While others (typically the fast crosses can get by with less.

I think it has as much to do with your pace and level of effort; vigorous swimming generates heat. So a thin swimmer working hard can generate enough heat for a crossing, provided they are taking in enough calories.

For my crossing I put on about 30 pounds, which was about 20 more than I needed.

PoulsboH20
December 24th, 2005, 12:26 AM
Thank you Rob.

geochuck
December 26th, 2005, 02:36 PM
The channel is quite warm so I don't think they would need lots of insulation Abou Heif carried extra fat, my brother Tom was not very fat but very muscular. When they tested Tom before he swam the English Channel the doctors told him he had the metabolism rate of a fourteen year old and he was in his thirties.

I ahve seen skinny guys who could take the cold and most could not.