PDA

View Full Version : Eggbeaters, breaststroke & small muscles

Draconis
December 22nd, 2005, 01:02 AM
I do all-out backwards eggbeaters as part of my breaststroke workout. A lot of people (Wayne included) recommended it, so I did it.

The question is, what EXACTLY does it do? Okay, I know it is good for your legs, but I never know in what way. Is it to improve the endurance and the strength of the legs? I seem to remember Wayne saying something about the "smaller muscles around the knee" being developed as a result.

Which brings me to my second question: what smaller muscles? Currently I'm having a sore when doing toe lifts or when straightening my right leg to the maximum in the area right below my knee, from right under where my tibia (or is it fibula? Anyways it's the bone in front of my lower leg) starts to about 1 or 2 centimeters below, in the front and somewhat to the side. Is that the "smaller knee muscles" being developed? Or am I putting too much pressure on my knees? It doesn't look like the knee though.

What are the smaller muscles FOR? Are they for safer kicking or do they play a very important role in the breaststroke kick?

One last question :D, what is the difference between a forward eggbeater kick and the backward eggbeater kick, in terms of the muscles they develop? Is one better than the other if you want to train one part of your kick?

Thanks a lot!