PDA

View Full Version : fitness glove

drdivot
December 25th, 2005, 12:31 PM
my wife got me fitness gloves for swimming for christmas and i am not familiar with them. do i swim my whole workout (25 minutes so far) with these? my fingers are a little apart is that how i am supposed to do free when i dont have them on? is there anything to be carefull of when using? thanks alot and merry christmas to everyone

Kevin in MD
December 25th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Note the name fitness gloves.

Those things are made for water aerobics ladies to feel the burn. And that is perfectly fine.

In the case of swimming, you would want to use paddles, paddles not only increase the resistance you feel, but also give you feedback on the position of your hands as they enter the water. If your hand is misaligned on entry or you are pushing down on your extended arm you will know it. The fitness gloves won't do that for you.

So return them to the store and get a pair of paddles, I like the Han's blue groover paddles myself.

aztimm
December 26th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't be nearly as harsh as Kevin. I got the Speedo gloves for Christmas several years ago (the blue gloves that you can put up to 3 weights in above your hands). I have worn them off an on over the years, and they are helpful for parts of some sets. Certainly not the whole set or everyday, but if you want to wear them for a 500 or so 2x a week, I don't see anything wrong. They may help you build up your triceps some also.

I carry a mesh bag with my 'toys' in to nearly every practice...paddles, zoomers, and a pull buoy. Maybe 2x a week I actually use something, and even then it is for just a small part of the set. But it is nice having them handy if we suddenly get a pull set.