PDA

View Full Version : for start, when should we swing our hands front?

RayT
December 27th, 2005, 12:23 AM
It seems you can see two types of track start, one is like Ian Thorpe swing his hands EARLIER to his FRONT right after he hear the start signal, and the other is like Michael Phelps that he seems to swing his hands LATER to his front.

I was wondering if there is any advantage or disadvantage to the starts mentioned above?

Thank you.

craiglll@yahoo.com
December 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I don't like the track start because it feels to me that my legs take a very long time to get lined up together, and I use energy too much energy to get off of the block.

Jeff Commings
December 27th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Ian doesn't use the track start. He uses the conventional one, with both feet at the front of the blocks. At least he did at the Olympics. It's unknown if he's changed after his break.

Your technique on starts is a matter of personal preference. There are countless ways to do a track start, and countless more ways to do a conventional start. You need to practice them to see what your hands do naturally, then adjust from there. Once you find your natural starting movements, then you can look at similar starts by others to fine tune yours.

Videotaping will aid you in working on starts.