PDA

View Full Version : Monofins look fun! Are they a good training tool

SCAQ Member
December 28th, 2005, 07:34 PM
There is this pentathlon meet at Cal Tech in Pasadena March 2006 andI want to use this meet as a primer for my season leading up to FINA at Stanford.

I saw someone using a monofin and it looked so fun. It looked like you could butterfly and concentrate on technique for a longer period of time. Are they worth the $100 in regards to training. I don't use fins of any kind but these look fun for kick sets.

Personal reviews?

Rowdy
January 3rd, 2006, 12:35 PM
I have played with monofins before. I can't help myself when a see a "toy" at a pool.

It was okay to swim/kick with. Turns were very difficult for me (open turns were practically impossible).

If you want to work with fins I would get a regular pair (I love my TYR Flexfins). They are cheaper and more manageable. I could go faster with the monofin, but it didn't make me work as hard as regular fins do.

PoulsboH20
January 3rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
In my opinion, they're toys.

sdswimmer
January 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
It helped me a lot with butterfly kick but I used it in open water. It is a good core strength builder too. Yes its a toy, it goes fast you go fast, its fun. Need to really work your dolphin kick or your streamline, then you ahve a reason. They are a bit pricey and the all plastic ones don't seem to work.

SCAQ Member
January 4th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by sdswimmer
They are a bit pricey and the all plastic ones don't seem to work.

Could you clarify the statement about plastic ones don't work? I thought monofins were all rubber.