PDA

View Full Version : Getting through the end of the season...

hmlee
December 30th, 2005, 01:07 PM
So I return to school from my christmas break on Monday, and I have around 4-5 weeks of the season left.

I'm depressed.

As a lot of you know, I had a bad injury this year...and while I've been slowly and steadily healing, I'm still not 100%. I'm able to manage a few flip turns now, but can't do them on a constant basis. My speed and technique are still way off what they should be...due to my being out of the water for a while.

And I don't know how I'm going to get through the end of the season.

I mean all the rest of the girls on the team will be back from training trip, stronger and faster....they'll swim lots and then taper for our conference meet.

I don't even know if I'll swim in a meet.

Part of me wants to, of course, but another part of me doesn't ...because at this point I'm so far off what I should be that I...well I don't want to embarass myself.

Basically, this season has been a loss and I'm training for next year. How do I drag myself through the end of the season? Sigh....

scyfreestyler
December 30th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I think you have the right idea about training for next year. I know that if I were not prepared for a meet I would not want to waste my time entering. What does your coach say?

hmlee
December 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM
I haven't talked to her lately, and I'm not sure if I should bring it up when I get back.

So I don't really know what my coach is thinking....

Basically the last thing she said to me was that over break I was to work on my technique, which I have been...to the best of my abilitiy. Swimming during the holidays can be kind of hectic :/.

scyfreestyler
December 30th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Perhaps your best bet is to go to practice and give it your all. 100%, leave nothing on the table. Show her what you are capable of and after a week or so ask her what she suggests you do about upcoming meets. If you give your best then you have nothing to feel bad about. Your injury is obviously negatively affecting your ability to perform and there is nothing you can do to change that. Give your best and have no regrets.

dorothyrde
December 30th, 2005, 02:45 PM
I think I mentioned on your other thread, that this years training is probably going to be for next year. I do not have the same back injury, but having worked through a back injury, I knew how very long it takes to recover, and also how patient you have to be to allow yourself to recover.

Somehow you need to accept that the time you are putting in now IS valuable.......for next year. Work on that technique, make it as perfect as you can. In fact, that is what you should be talking to your coach about. Tell her you realize that there is not enough time to gear up for the team this year, but you want all the help you can get for improving for next year. Find out from your coach what you can do to train after the college season is over. Start thinking long term and get determined to be better, faster and stronger come next year.

Really time flies, and what you do in the pool between now and next fall really can make a difference in how next year's season goes.

For me, it has been 18months since I hurt my back. Last week I forgot to go to my chiropractice appointment. Usually my back tells me....time to go in, but my back has been behaving so well, I think going every 3 weeks, instead of every 2 will work now. It has been a long row, with some relapses.

You can work through this, and be stronger and better for it!

sdswimmer
January 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
How about thinking of the rest of the season as base building for next year? For base you need a good steady painfree distance and good technique. You lost your base through the injury and you ahve to get that back, to have something to stand on in order to build speed next year. Who knows you might be able to build your base higher and stronger than it was before so you'll start stronger next year than you did this year!

laineybug
January 3rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
I like the idea of thinking of this as training for meets in Fall 2006. Saying 'next year' makes it sound so far off. Put the upcoming spring meets out of your mind as if they don't exist and focus on the meets you will be able to swim in. You can really turn this to your advantage if you focus on improving technique now and seeing this as an opportunity no one else will have. Make it a good experience, by discovering the positive aspects. Geeze, how many swimmers get the opportunity to train as much as you will be able to train for future meets? How many swimmers can train, more or less at their lesiure, without pressure of an upcoming meet?

Don't focus on the negative. Now, folks, I can't remember the citation so don't ask and don't jump on me, but I remember reading some research (a long time ago) that demonstrated that a person is physically stronger when he or she is thinking positive thoughts than when thinking negative thoughts. It is possible you could slow your training down by thinking about, or dwelling on all that you have missed, or will miss because those thoughts might drain some of your strength. Think about the beautiful technique you will be able to bring to your regular training and how that will help you turn on the speed in the future. Think about how strong you are getting. Think about how damn good it feels to be in the pool. Think positive.

Lainey

Hawaiiwoman
January 3rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Along the lines of thinking positive....today you swam 3100 yards. Only a very, very small percentage of people are capable of swimming that far! Be positively proud! :)

ande
January 4th, 2006, 11:12 AM
what are your events?

ande

Kevin in MD
January 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Your posts seem to mention everything BUT how hard and how often you are doing your rehab.

When you start taking rehab seriously, you will feel better quickly. Mostly mentally, but of course physically as well.

CuriousSwimmer
January 5th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hey girl,

I've been keeping up on your progress over these past few months and I wish you luck at the end of the season.

That said, repeat after me:
I am not a victim.

As soon as you stop thinking in the victim mentality and start thinking about what you have learned, what you can accomplish, etc, I bet those end-of-season blues will be a bit easier.