PDA

View Full Version : Parsing HY3 Files

someotherguy582
December 30th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Does anyone know the file format for HY3? I'm trying to make a web-based system that will generate a HY3 file for meet entries and that can be imported into Team Manager. I think the only thing that is stopping me from successfully generating the files is the checksum at the end of each file. Does anyone know how this is generated?

Please help! Thanks! :D

osterber
January 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM
As you figured out, the format of the file itself is no mystery. The checksum is, though. It's a Hy-Tek secret. They won't tell you.

My recomendation -- add to the crowd and send them an email telling them that they really should just publish the formats of their 'proprietary' formats. It would help adoption of them.

I believe that team manager will also accept a CL2 entries file, won't it? You could use that format, which is well-documented.

I love Hy-Tek Meet Manager. I'm a 'certified meet manager' for them or whatever. But I think they are bone-headed sometimes with their attempts to keep things like these file formats and checksums 'proprietary'.

Hopefully, the new USA Swimming XML data format will start to take hold, and everything can migrate to that.

-Rick

W4CHL
June 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
There is more on this topic check under parsing .CL2 files (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2512&highlight=parsing+hytek)

Reference there to the conversion tools posted in the Top Ten Tools link (http://www.usms.org/admin/top15.zip)

nkfrench
June 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I have some programs that read .hy3 files but none that generate them due to the checksum. This is something I'm quite interested in. The .cl2 file checksum algorithm is not the same. :)

The online meet entries software I did was geared towards our state's USA Swimming teams that all use Team Manager. Each team just did a file upload of the entries that they did in TM. The web stuff would unzip and extract the entries file, parse it out to do registrations checks, validate the events and entries times, and do a preview proof-of-times comparing entry times against our state database. Then the visiting team could also type in some meet-specific stuff (they can ask for their Sunday relays to swim in the morning instead of with the fastest relays at night for travel reasons). I generated a PDF meet entries report and calculated their fees so they did not have to also upload a entries report and entry fees report. The meet host just downloads a big zip file with all the teams' entries and reports at the entries duedate.

Benefit was that teams couldn't submit bad entries until they fixed them, rather than submitting bad entries and then the meet host would have to deal with them in a very short timeframe. Typically the entries duedate is 6 pm on a Wednesday, then most of the coaches would be at another championships meet the next day through Sunday, then our meet would start 3 days later.

It will all probably be obsoleted in the next few years as USA Swimming's Online meet entries capabilities mature and are available for the local championships meets.

What I did wasn't ever designed to replace Team Manager, just to smooth out the entries process. Email entries have been problemmatic - email not going through (bad address, inboxes getting full, anti-spam blocks, people using school/work email accts that block swim email); email delays; entry files that were empty or corrupt or for the wrong meet; multiple entry files submitted by a single team (which one is most current ?) from multiple people; reports that don't match the import files; and the hassle of trying to track down registrations issues when swimmers aren't entered with correct (name, ID, birthdate, team, LSC.). Also the relay-only swimmers (people not entered in any individual OR relay events, but in a pool of potential relay swimmers) don't show up on the usual entries reports but we were able to show them on ours.

jonno
September 21st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hi All

Has anyone made any progress on this??? I really need to be able to be able to generate Athlete Rosters from our web based database for import into Team Manager.

Thanks

david.margrave
September 21st, 2008, 11:17 PM
How complicated is this software? Just curious. Companies can usually only get away with tricks like proprietary formats when they are the only game in town.

ALM
September 21st, 2008, 11:30 PM
A point of information... Hy-Tek (the maker of Meet Manager and Team Manager) was recently purchased by Active.com.

osterber
September 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Has anyone made any progress on this??? I really need to be able to be able to generate Athlete Rosters from our web based database for import into Team Manager.

Your only real option is to use CL2 files. As far as I know, Team Manager will import a CL2 roster file. There are some limitations to CL2 roster files, but it works pretty well.

It's also disappointing that Hy-Tek has not done anything to adopt the USA Swimming XML data interchange format. More customers need to speak up about stuff like this.

-Rick