PDA

View Full Version : weight training

Smiler
January 2nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Hello from from the UK. I have only just found this forum and it really is a pleasure to read up on the wealth of knowledge on show here.

I have been a lds for 8 years now, my favourite distance being 10k and over. Before that I was a powerlifter so I was heavily muscled and although I haven't lifted a weight since those days and am now a lot smaller I am still quite muscled (due to swimming).
The ow season starts over here at the end of May and I was thinking of starting a 3 day a week high rep weights program concentrating on all the major muscle groups. However my concern is that, with my past I may become muscle bound (even with high reps) as I have retained quite a lot of muscle (ie 17 inch arms, 44 inch chest etc).
Atm my weekly dryland training consists of stretching and 3x20 min on the turbo trainer. If anyone has any advice as to whether a weights regime would be beneficial for me then please post a reply.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

gemich
January 2nd, 2006, 03:08 PM
Smiler

You may want to do a search on the Internet to locate a copy of a book called "The Ultimate Guide to Weight Training for Swimming" (second edition) by Robert Price. I think it just may be the ticket for which you're looking.

Gary

Rebecca
January 2nd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Smiler,
Ever thought about trying yoga? It sounds like you don't really need a lot of strength training, but just want to do something different. The right yoga class can provide a balance/flexibility/strength program that I think really complements swimming. The breathing and mental aspects of yoga are also a plus. Yoga classes can vary a lot, so if you decide to try it, check out all that are available where you are. I've been doing it for 2 years, and think swimming/yoga are a great combination. I also lift some weights, but am over 50, not well-muscled, and trying to make up for lost time.

Smiler
January 3rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Thanx for replies guys. Much appreciated

suares
January 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Gemich,
I've been looking for information on weight training for swimmers too.
Price's "Utimate Guide to Weight Training for Swimming" gets poor reviews on Amazon.com. Are those reviews accurate?
Suares

SprintDog
January 5th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Smiler,
I have been following the weight lifting program on this web site. Look for the info about mid-page that has a Phase A, B, and C.

http://swimming.about.com/cs/drylandexercise/a/swim_weight.htm

Good luck.