PDA

View Full Version : Alright, I'm ready!

69gscal
January 6th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I've been putting this off ever since I moved to Phoenix (January of 05), and there is now way I'm putting it off another year.

Today at 11:30AM I am going to go to Brophy Swim Club Masters and sign up.

This is something I have meant to do ever since moving here but with a career change, shift changes, vacations and such, I've shunned it an entire year.

Considering that I haven't even done a full workout in months and I'm at the end of a graveyard shift, I don't expect much this afternoon. But! It certainly won't get any worse from this point forward.

Wish me luck.

Paul Smith
January 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM
You'll have a great time......good people with the exception of Sam Perry who you should avoid at ALL costs (he tends to swim backstroke down the middle of the lane).

Introduce yourself to Marika, Louise, Laura, Phil and the rest of the crew and tell them Laura & Paul said hi!

aquageek
January 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Pablo?

Paul Smith
January 6th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Geek.......trying to help you separate me from Evil Smith.

PS: Nickname from college days that stuck.........

geochuck
January 6th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Put it off another year. Since 1998 I have put off actual hard training since then. It always makes me look forward to next year so I can say, tommorrow I start.

I am just back from Mexico two weeks at an all inclusive and swam 2000m a day for14 days and all the margarettas and beer I could drink. I have bought a monthly pass to our local swimming pool $27.00 and can go from 6.30 am til 10.00 pm. always a couple of lanes open. The girl at the pool said "a yearly pass" and I said I do not want to look that far into the future. I was able to swim 11 strokes in 17 sec for 25m in Mexico so am encouraged. Only one problem that will put a hold on swimming on Feb 8th I get a new right knee which will put me out of the pool til the scare heels. This is the new knee I already have one on the left knee. http://kneereplacementinfo.com/partial-knee-replacement.html

69gscal good luck.

Alex
January 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Put it off another year. Since 1998 I have put off actual hard training since then. It always makes me look forward to next year so I can say, tommorrow I start.

I am just back from Mexico two weeks at an all inclusive and swam 2000m a day for14 days and all the margarettas and beer I could drink. I have bought a monthly pass to our local swimming pool $27.00 and can go from 6.30 am til 10.00 pm. always a couple of lanes open. The girl at the pool said "a yearly pass" and I said I do not want to look that far into the future. I was able to swim 11 strokes in 17 sec for 25m in Mexico so am encouraged. Only one problem that will put a hold on swimming on Feb 8th I get a new right knee which will put me out of the pool til the scare heels. This is the new knee I already have one on the left knee. http://kneereplacementinfo.com/partial-knee-replacement.html

69gscal good luck.

Good to have swimming visitors in Mexico, too bad it was an all inclusive facility because there is little money spent on the country that way.

As I can bet that you visited a beach resort, remember that at sea level your swimming performance is much better that at higher altitudes, specially when you are under the influence of "margaritas". By the way there is another drink that you can try next time you are in Mexico or in Southern States of the US, and that is called "Paloma" (Dove), it is grapefruit and Tequila with a little salt, I have also tried Ginger Ale and Tequila and it is preatty much a similar taste, or pineapple, grapefruit, salt and Tequila, they all are taken in a full size glass, of course you have to drink a "caballito" first (that is a Tequila shot). :cool: ..... My fly style goes fine after two or three palomas.:D

geochuck
January 6th, 2006, 02:51 PM
We usually go for 5 months in the motor home and spend our time in the Boca de Igauna, La Manzanilla, Melaque, Barra Navidad area. Love the Camarroni Diablos, Tacos , Pollo Assados from the street Vendors. But had to change our plans re knee operation.

Alex
January 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Go Canucks.. !!!!:D

swimlong
January 7th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I just returned from Sayulita...not an all inclusive, but 3 weeks at a great beach with LOTS of waves. It was not conducive to distance swimming but I got a lot of body surfing and playing in the waves in. The undertow presented a workout in itself - I found it quite a quad workout just to climb back on shore.

Good luck with your knee replacement. I had an ACL/MCL repair 12 years ago and it was harder than anything I've been through. However, I dedicated myself to rehab and have had 10 subsequent years of running, soccer, swimming, and assorted court sports. So there is life after surgery!

Sam Perry
January 7th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Paul Smith
You'll have a great time......good people with the exception of Sam Perry who you should avoid at ALL costs (he tends to swim backstroke down the middle of the lane).

But I have one hell of a nice tan on my face and I get the lane to myself! You know I don't swim down the middle, too hard to pull on the lane ropes that way.

Sam Perry
January 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by 69gscal
I've been putting this off ever since I moved to Phoenix (January of 05), and there is now way I'm putting it off another year.

Today at 11:30AM I am going to go to Brophy Swim Club Masters and sign up.

This is something I have meant to do ever since moving here but with a career change, shift changes, vacations and such, I've shunned it an entire year.

Considering that I haven't even done a full workout in months and I'm at the end of a graveyard shift, I don't expect much this afternoon. But! It certainly won't get any worse from this point forward.

Wish me luck.

Aubrey,

Look forward to meeting you. You probably noticed alread that the pool is closed for repairs, no that is not a sign! We are swimming at El Dorado pool temporarily which is off of Thomas and McDowell. If you want any information, you can email me at azperrys@cox.net

aztimm
January 8th, 2006, 04:45 PM
You can also try Sun Devil Masters at ASU (where I swim):
www.sundevilmasters.org

69gscal
January 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by aztimm
You can also try Sun Devil Masters at ASU (where I swim):
www.sundevilmasters.org

I looked into Sun Devils, but it's just too far away for me. I live in Glendale and work at Luke Air Force Base. I'm already driving out to Mesa and Tempe 3 days a week for my men's soccer team. No need to increase that 7 days a week.

Thank You anyhow.

Aubrey

aztimm
January 9th, 2006, 02:41 PM
There used to be a team or group that swam at Glendale Community College, Glendale Gouchos I think they were called. You may want to look into that.

Also, some students from the grad school I went to swim at the Y, practically on campus. Near Greenway/Thunderbird, the Garvin School of International Management (commonly called Thunderbird), go in the main gate from 59th Ave (about 1/4 mile south of Greenway), and the Y is on the right. If you ask someone at the desk, they may have info. If not, shoot me a PM and I'll post a message on the school's discussion board.

Tim