PDA

View Full Version : Total Hip Replacement/Hip Resurfacing

January 9th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Anyone out there in USMS/Board world had a total hip replacment or hip resurfacing? If so, here are my questions:

1. How long until you were back in the water training?
2. How long until you were back in the water racing (pool and/or open water)?
3. How long until you could do flip turns and push hard off the wall?
4. How long until you were biking?
5. How long until you felt "normal?"
6. What is your experience re range of motion post surgery?

thanks

A.K.
January 9th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I have a friend that just had this procedure performed at http://grossortho.com/ he had hip resurfacing or replacement http://www.grossortho.com/hipre.html .

He said you have to wait at least 1 month for the incision to heal before entering the water.

He has been swimming since his operation a few months ago and is taking it easy on turns and kicking- he mentioned he will wait a few more months before reallly pushing it and kicking hard- he does not regret the procedure....BTW he says he is kicking all the 20 year old's ass in workout.

He mentioned there was a Dr in LA or UCLA to be precise that also performs the same procedure.

Hope this helps.

January 9th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I'd love to talk with your friend. I'm scheduled for the resurfacing procedure on Jan. 30.

thanks

Glenn
January 9th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Carl,

My wife had a hip replacement when she was 67 and we went skiing 17 weeks later!!!

GLENN

jean sterling
January 10th, 2006, 08:59 AM
A guy at the Y where I swim had a hip replacement and later played basketball on it with the "lunch bunch" - he was in his 60s.

A.K.
January 10th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by botterud
I'd love to talk with your friend. I'm scheduled for the resurfacing procedure on Jan. 30.

thanks

I sent his contact info through this PM and email options - let me know if you received it.

A.K.

Tom Ellison
January 10th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I have had two total right hip replacements. My first lasted 10 years until the cup became loose.

My operations were different then most. My hip, pelvis and sacrum were crushed under a 28-ton dump truck in 1977. The damage to my pelvis and hip area was horrific to say the least. Both operations required bone graph build-ups to adequately anchor the cup to my hip, which made my recovery time somewhat outside the norm. Having said that, I was back in the pool (both times) right at six weeks. I did not do flip turns for another month to ensure my hip was healed.

After my operations it took three weeks to feel human again and four weeks to become pain free. On a side note, I strongly suggest you set aside your own blood for this operation to ensure healthy, disease free blood. Our blood supply is very safe in America with the onset of modern testing, but it is not bullet proof. I required 4 to 5 pints during both operations due to the increased damage brought about by my accident. My understanding is 2 pints is generally the norm.

I caution you to be very careful during the healing process. Both Wake Forest University Medical Center in Winston-Salem NC and Jewish Hospital in Louisville, KY are excellent joint replacement hospitals. Both hospitals have done extensive research in patient follow up after joint replacements. Both found the number one cause for replacement damage was caused by early strenuous activities with infection being second. Keep your incision clean and maintain a very regimented germ free environment after your operation. Be extra careful of dental work and ALWAYS get your dentist to call in a prescription for antibiotics prior to dental cleaning. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THAT!

In short, let that joint replacement heal properly before you torque it to the max in the pool. I found breaststroke kicking to be very painful and dangerous during the healing process so be extra careful there.

Good luck and enjoy your new hip replacement after it heals. Both times, I went from serious pain to zero pain after healing.

Kindest regards,

Tom Ellison

January 10th, 2006, 05:46 PM
A.K.: Got it and sent him an email. Thanks.

Glenn: Thanks for the input. Hope to see you sometime soon . . . Though I doubt I'll be in the water for the Caltech Pentathalon this year.

Jean: Thank you.

Tom: Thanks for the feedback. I understand the blood loss issues. I'm getting the hip resurfacing which preserves a lot of my bone and results in a much reduced blood loss. Your comments are well appreciated and I am really looking forward to that "pain free" part.

Tom Ellison
January 10th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Carl:
TRUST ME.... it will be night and day different....or....the difference in Grant Hackettís mile time.....and...my mile time.....

I waited way to long and suffered needlessly both times before going in and having it replaced. My second operation was a Godsend for the pain was way over the edge...and I mean way over the edge. Hey, they donít call us Jar Heads for nothing.

:)

Gdavis
May 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM
Hi all
I returned home from a hip resurfacing May 28, so very early days. I'll be pleased to compare notes with other swimmers at various stages of their recovery and rehabilitation.
Best to all.
Guy

JamieJ
July 30th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Hi-
I am agonizing over this hip resurfacing question. I can currently swim very well without pain, but have pain pretty much all of the rest of the time. I would like to be able to walk and bike without pain, but don't want to lose my ability to swim like i am now. Will I still be able to do flip turns and go off of the blocks? Will I be able to complete my workouts daily (3500-4000 yards), and how soon will I be back to the swimming form that I am in now. I need answers from swimmers who understand my dilemma. Please help if you have any insight!

Sabretooth Tiger
July 30th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I had mine done on Jan. 30. I was walking w/o crutches or any other aid in two weeks and was cleared to re-enter the water as soon as the incision healed, at about the 2.5 week mark.

I did return, but have not been regular for any number of reasons, none of which has anything to do with my hip.

As for my hip, the arthritis pain is completely gone, and has been since the surgery. My range of motion is improved. I can get on and off my bike and ride it w/o pain. Before the surgery, I could not lift my right leg over the bike to mount it.

I can walk miles w/o pain . . . could not get down the block before surgery.

Am working out real hard w/ a trainer to work my lower body, improve strength long ago lost, improve flexibility and balance. I have been cleared by my doc as of the 6 month point to do anything I want w/o restriction . . . this means skiing/snowboarding this winter.

I've done some body surfing and will start surfing again as well. Could have done it months ago, but haven't been in the water.

My main impediment is getting my practice back into gear after gearing down in advance of the surgery.

If you want to contact me off-line, I'm happy to provide more information. My doctor (Schmalzried at the Joint Replacment Institute in Los Angeles) is the best, bar none.

I'm happy as hell w/ my results and life is vastly improved.

cheers

sabretooth

Gdavis
July 31st, 2006, 03:11 AM
Hi STiger, glad to hear things are going so well - my experience has been very similar to yours. I'm now 2 months post op resurf and things continue to go well. No arthritis pain - on a good track to full recovery. I started swimming gently at about week 3 and am now back to (nearly) normal training. I have been flip turning since my week 6 check up. I have already regained my pre-op range of motion (which was compromised by arthritis) and I'm slowly improving from there. I'm not yet doing dives off the blocks but I hope eventually to be at least as good off the blocks than I was before. But I'm going to build up strength in the gym before I get back on the blocks. I'm doing gentle breaststoke vertical kicking to build up strength before going back to BR proper, which will also wait until after my 3 month check up.
I had been in increasing pain for years before but was encouraged by my ortho to wait as long as possible before going ahead with surgery. For me there were 2 key triggers to choosing to go ahead - I could no longer get into grab start position - which was symbolic of increasing disability - and I went on vacation and couldn't enjoy a walk on the beach. So I needed to regain quality of life.
I have found the biggest challenge post-op has been to regain hip strength. Eg at 3 weeks I couldn't yet do a leg lift on the operated side. I'm still relatively weak but doing plenty of leg lifts as part of PT. I'm getting my cardio fitness back slowly swimming. cycling and in the gym - did a good 4k session yesterday. My kicking is still weak but I'm confident that things are on track (for example, in the free kick set yesterday I was repeating 100s free kick at 10-15s slower than when fit pre-op, but 10s per 100 better than 2 weeks ago).
JamieJ, there seem to be plenty of success stories out there, and being fit seems to be correlated with post-op success and speed of recovery, based on all the experiences I've read on various hip discussion groups. Good luck with your decision. I shared your concerns pre-op. I think most people would recommend "Get yourself a good surgeon and don't wait". It seems to me that there's no reason you can't be as good as before within 6 months. The resurf option seems to be very successful for the sporty types.

JamieJ
August 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I just went and saw a guy who does hip resurfacing. He wasn't very enthusiastic about my case. Apparently the rheumatoid arthritis is a bit of a problem, as is the possible metal ion release for a young woman. He didn't recommend a total hip replacement at this point either, because I am 31 years old, and he wanted me to wait as long as possible. I don't know what as long as possible means, but I guess as long as I can swim happily, I will wait. He also said that there was no guarantee that the biking would be better after the surgery. It seems like everything I read online is so positive about the surgery, that I was surprised at his reluctance. Anyway--thanks again for sharing your experiences! I guess I will be waiting for a bit longer.

hornHead
August 2nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
I am now 3 weeks post op with a total hip replacement. Up until the middle of May I was training 4 times per week for a total of 16K metres supplemented with weights and additional cardio.
At 54 I'm pretty young to be having a THR but the discomfort was overwhelming me as I couldn't sleep without potent medication.

The draw back to having a THR or resurfacing at an early age is that a revision will have to be done in 12 - 15 years. My challenge is to make it last as long as possible given my activity level. This will require me to modify my weight bearing activities from here on. No running, skipping, ice skating or anything that may put undue forces on the new joint. It will also require me to be diligent on rehabing and maintaining the hip flexors, quads, glutes, back & abs.

The affected side has been bearing weight since the surgery and over the last few days I have taken steps without the cane. I can go up and down a flight of stairs step over step with ease only using the bannister for support. Physio starts in earnest next week and pool work the following week.

I can't understate that the greatest risk in ANY surgery is the possibility of infection. If you get a bug in there and an infection sets in then ALL the components MAY have to come out and you start from scratch.

From a swimming standpoint it is going to interesting to see how long it will take to get back in form. Prior to the surgery I was swimming the 50 & 100 LC free in 27.5 and 1:02.03.

Gdavis
August 2nd, 2006, 05:21 PM
Good luck with rehab HH. Let us know how you get on. I found the hydrotherapy a great way to start the rehab. May there be a LC 27.4 ahead.

hornHead
August 2nd, 2006, 06:21 PM
Gd....your right on about seeking out a good O/S. I think I've got the best. We both swam for the same age group club. I was on my way out and he was on his way in. He was a Canadian National Team member in the late 80's - early 90's, 1991 World University Games 100 back champion and at the age of 39 he recently went a 1:00.88 LC 100 back, just missing the Canadian Pan Pac Trials QT.

Up until May we trained with the same age group club. He has a great interest in how I'm progressing. His attitude and attention to detail are second to none. That alone may be worth a few tenths.

Gdavis
August 3rd, 2006, 05:14 AM
Very clever move hH! A competitive swimmer O/S sounds ideal. I expect you'll be the "poster child" for diligent and successful rehab. As a matter of interest I was wondering why you went THR rather than resurf?

hornHead
August 16th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Gd - Excuse me for being tardy in response to your question but I wanted to touch base with my O/S on the resurfacing issue. We did discuss it intially but I couldn't recall the reasons for not doing it.

His view of resurfacing from a surgical standpoint is that a larger incision is used and more soft tissue is disturbed to facilitate reaming of the femoral head and the acetablum. The femoral head component is cemented in place and cemented components have a greater incidence of becoming loose.

In large boned patients, such as myself, the size of the femoral implant can, but not always, be larger than the orginal femoral head and that a corresponding acetabular implant would necessitate more bone to be removed for the pelvis to accomodate it.

Resurfacing has been performed for a relatively short time compared to THR. There dosen't seem to be sufficient clinical evaluation data on resurfacing such as revision rates, longevity and the release of metal ions from metal on metal wear. There is also some speculation that with a resurfacing the weakest point of the joint is at the femoral neck and may be prone to fracture.

The most important consideration for anyone thinking of THR, resurfacing or any medical procedure for that matter, is the skill of the practitioner.

I am 5 weeks post op today. I have returned to work on light duties for 4 hours per day and am back to driving a standard shift. I have been in the pool every day starting last Friday.

Last nights W/O consisted of:

15 X 50 metres pull on 60 seconds ( average 42 sec. with very careful open turns )

5 X 50 flutter kick 10 sec rest ( no board )

200 scull with pull bouy

4 X 25 fly on 40 sec.

4 X 25 back on 40 sec.

4 X 25 free on 30 sec.

I also tried about 15 seconds of water polo "egg beater" without discomfort. Post W/O therapy consisted of a beer, ice pack and quad stretch with heat.

Gdavis
August 17th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the feedback HH. Interesting. Sounds as though your rehab is going very well - especially the post workout beers. Good luck with it. Best. GD

Plumber
October 5th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I had mine done on Jan. 30.

As for my hip, the arthritis pain is completely gone, and has been since the surgery. My range of motion is improved.

I've done some body surfing and will start surfing again as well. Could have done it months ago, but haven't been in the water.

If you want to contact me off-line, I'm happy to provide more information. My doctor (Schmalzried at the Joint Replacment Institute in Los Angeles) is the best, bar none.

I'm happy as hell w/ my results and life is vastly improved.

cheers

sabretooth

Have you surfed yet?
I am recovering from a broken hip, and may have to get a THR. My fear is I may not be able to surf again. If I'm stuck playing golf the rest of my life, what's the use?

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM
During the spring, my doctor talked about using stem cells to help my hip. Then during the summer he talked about a partial operation to fix part of the problem. Now no go. I have taken prednisone for 24 years for my asthma. My body stopped producing cortisone naturally . I swan Wednesday and only felt good while in the pool. It hurts to walk and my leg tingles. I am told to take the pain pills prescribed. The pills do nothing to ease the pain. They do cause me to hallucinate. Once at work, I thought a little lady in a red dress was talking to me. She was asking me t follow her down this hallway. I wondered why she thought I could possibly fit down this short hallway. Then I realized there was no hallway there. Does anyone think it is time to get a second opinion?

Right now it feels as if a hot iron bar is stabbing my hip.

slhellman
November 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
After my total hip replacement, I was back in the water after 5 weeks (pretty much as soon as the wound healed), and I was back doing flip turns after 7 weeks (after my hip precautions were lifted). I would not be afraid of the replacement. Your life will be vastly improved!

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
When the pain first started the doctor was very gung ho about doing something. Then when cyst was found on my L1 vertabra, he cooled down a lot. My hip is a constant pain. Right now not so bad. Suday, I could barely walk. The on-call doctor told me to either go to the ER or take aspirin or Tylenol. I couldn't get to my car to go to the ER.

I'm waiting for the PA to return my call. Wheni swim is the only time my hip doesn't hurt but afterwards it does.

orca1946
November 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM
You will be able to do all stuff but hard runnig as it cuts down on the long term of the implant. I had the same side replaced after i WORN THE SOCKET INTO AN OVAL? & 7 years on the original. WAS THIS A FAULTY SoCKET OR JUST A FLUKE? I still swim 3 times a week on the team with no side affects other than a really tight IT band that I am working on.
Good luck & get back to swimming soon!

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I swam 2 days in a row. Now my right hip is so sore I can barely stand on it. The PA from my doctor's office never called the other day. i am thinking of trying tofind another doctor. I am really confused. I
ve always had realy great and understanding doctors. I think this guy is too busy.

ViveBene
November 27th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Craig -
I'm sorry to hear the providers are unresponsive when you are in so much pain; that is a red flag about them.
If you know a good doc in the area, perhaps you could ask whom he/she would go to with such a problem? Pathologists in particular know quite a lot about surgeons and their outcomes.
Good luck exiting this problem and returning to better health soon!

VB

jenintenn
March 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
I had a THR in Sept 2008, 2 days after I turned 50! I had so much pain that I had to swim with a pull buoy, couldn't kick at all. Four weeks after surgery I was back in the pool, swimming easily and resistance walking. I asked 5 physical therapists when I could start doing flip turns. These guys had over 100 combined years of experience and they couldn't answer this question. I got so sick of open turns, I started doing flips 2 weeks after swimming, or 6 weeks after surgery. It was a non-event. Breaststroke kick, however, still is a mess. It doesn't feel good at all. I need to strengthen my hip rotators. I do a leg workout once/week, but must not be pushing those rotators enough. I also still feel some discomfort in the leg which is coming from the non-cemented implant - still bonding going on (it's been 6 months today). All my other strokes are doing well and my energy is back. I am very happy with my THR and wish I had done it earlier.

Gdavis
March 22nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I had a THR in Sept 2008, 2 days after I turned 50! I had so much pain that I had to swim with a pull buoy, couldn't kick at all. Four weeks after surgery I was back in the pool, swimming easily and resistance walking. I asked 5 physical therapists when I could start doing flip turns. These guys had over 100 combined years of experience and they couldn't answer this question. I got so sick of open turns, I started doing flips 2 weeks after swimming, or 6 weeks after surgery. It was a non-event. Breaststroke kick, however, still is a mess. It doesn't feel good at all. I need to strengthen my hip rotators. I do a leg workout once/week, but must not be pushing those rotators enough. I also still feel some discomfort in the leg which is coming from the non-cemented implant - still bonding going on (it's been 6 months today). All my other strokes are doing well and my energy is back. I am very happy with my THR and wish I had done it earlier.

Hi Jenny
I'm glad that your THR is going well. I have a few thoughts for you based on my rehab experience from a 2006 hip resurfacing.
Like you I was back in the pool as soon as could be and most things went well. Like you my breaststroke kick was horrible (though I should say that it was always fairly horrible.) However, over time things have continued to improve and a few weeks ago I was surprised to swim my fastest 50br since I was a teenager (I'm 50 too). My take aways:
1. Be patient - you may find hip strength and flexibility can continue to improve for years - mine has.
2. Do as much hip strengthening as possible, both in and out of the water. For example, after workout I stand in the hot tub and do adductor/abductor strengthening against water resistance. This is also something you can do between swim sets.
3. Keep the hip specific PT going indefinitely. If you are interested I might be able to find my hip PT program and send it - but you probably have plenty of exercises already. In my case, I had lost years of conditioning from "protecting" my painful hip, so it's not too surprising that I had a lot of work to do to regain strength.
Your breaststroke may always feel slightly strange, but my guess is that with patience you'll get back to a breaststroke kick you're very happy with.
Good luck
PS Off the block starts are another item to be patient with!

jenintenn
March 31st, 2009, 10:21 AM
Guy,
Thank you for your feedback! I was very interested in your comments about continuing hip PT. I have been traveling lately and sometimes spend a whole day in a seminar. On those days, I do not get to do any exercise and my hip seems to be not as happy on those days. Besides swimming, I ride a stationary bike and play golf so I've been giving it a lot of work. I will keep up the hip rotator exercises and hope to get my breaststroke kick back. I have not been competing and haven't been off a block in decades!
thanks again, Jenny

Gdavis
March 31st, 2009, 06:17 PM
Jenny, I have also found traveling and long spells sitting quite hard for an old hippie but my comfort with both have improved steadily post HR. To add to your exercise you might want to consider some work on a trampette and balance board. My PT had me jogging on the trampette, pausing to balance for a few seconds every 3rd or 5th step. Similarly the balance board mobilized lots of the muscles around the hip joint. I suggest you check with your PT if this might be helpful. There are of course lots of other exercises you could do which might be good for when you are on the road. Good luck!
PS I improved my breaststroke time again last week, but maybe it was my new tech suit!

orca1946
April 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
My 2nd hip replalcement & I was back in the wter in 3 weeks . Watch flip turns & pushoffs. Good luck.

swimbody
April 11th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Well I will need a THR on my right side. Wonder if anyone here can vouch for how their THR has affected them in their quest for speed. I will be bummed if I can't kick long sets like I used to but will live with the verdict regardless. Any comment or input is greatly appreciated.

slhellman
April 11th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Don't worry about it. After the THR you will be like new! I don't notice any difference in how it functions (with regard to speed). I can do very long kick sets with no problem!

swimbody
April 12th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks dude! That makes me feel a ton better about the process.

ande
April 13th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Well I will need a THR on my right side. Wonder if anyone here can vouch for how their THR has affected them in their quest for speed. I will be bummed if I can't kick long sets like I used to but will live with the verdict regardless. Any comment or input is greatly appreciated.

Hey Graham,

Man, what a bummer. I wish I had some great info about others who've been through it, especially ones who were as young you are.

I don't give training advice on medical issues, just, work with your docs, physical therapist & coach about what you can and can't do post surgery. Most of all, pay attention to what your body's telling you & err on the side of caution. It would suck to do something dumb and have to go back under the knife.

We'd love it if you'd share your story about how your injury & situation happened then share your experiences & journey after surgery.

February 2012 I had a minor sugery. (1 inch scar on my ride outer forearm) My doc told me to stay out of the water for 4 days. When I got back in the water, I'd apply liquid bandaid to my wound which kept it covered the whole practice. I imagine he'll tell you to stay out of the water longer.

Good luck my friend, hope you have smooth surgery and a speedy recovery.

Ande

swimbody
April 13th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I got great news from the doc today. No need for total arthroplasty! I will need a core decompression since I'm very early AVN. There was some communication errors on behalf of his scheduler who gave me insomnia for four weeks while I waited to meet him.

Four weeks no weight bearing, seeing Dr. Leupnitz Tuesday before surgery to fortify nutrition while I heal and then, I'm hitting the water to get back into shape. It's funny how I try to stay away from the water and life keeps putting me back in it. I give up, I will accept that I am eternally a fish and must now swim upstream for a little while I heal.

Thanks for the kind words Ande, GDavis and slhellman. I think that if the core decompression doesn't work that a resurfacing is a possibility. I have a 60% shot at total recovery. The nice thing is that the screws are coming out and the bad news is that I have a bit of osteoarthritis outside the joint caused by the fracture scar. oh well, I was never a good frog kicker anyways. :bliss:

orca1946
April 13th, 2012, 05:32 PM
HI ORCA again, last summer they went in again cuz of particles of wear from the 1st hip parts. I'm 1 of 3 that the Doc. has that has had prob. with.
Much better now,but it took 5 months at the gym & pool to get back this time.

swimbody
May 7th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Well the core decompression operation and hardware removal was a success. Now time will tell. Doc says in 6 months we will know if this worked. He said it should heal up if I abandon running so that's great news. I've learned a lot throughout this process and that both my hips are early arthritic...fantastic. About circulation, arthritis and AVN:

Hips can develop osteoarthritis through a lot of different mechanisms; athletes typically have this condition earlier in life as we work those joints so hard. I have arthritis in both hips as a result of poor lifetime circulation and genes. If anyone has heard of MTHFR and knows about how it works in our body, I would like to hear it as I probably have a genetic defect in the MTHFR gene. Genetic variation in this gene influences susceptibility to occlusive vascular disease, neural tube defects, colon cancer and acute leukemia, and mutations in this gene are associated with methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency (this gene mutation. I'm on a cocktail of supplements to help with oxygen uptake to increase circulation in the hip area. (I saw a nutritionist who was a former oncologist to get these supplements before surgery) PM me if you want to know about them.

I also am getting a DNA test done as I mailed off my saliva to a place that will look for that gene defect. Anyways, I'm feeling so much better after taking these supplements. I have a clearer train of thought, drinking a few beers doesn't feel so painful, and my energy level is very strong, almost like I'm 28 or so. I swam twice in the last four days. 2.5 weeks since surgery and I swam 1200 yds on Thursday, and a mile Sunday at Barton Springs. I haven't swam in two years...I felt very strong unbelievably. The hip is really stretching out around the incision and the doc was right to put me back into the water so quickly. I love my doc for that reason alone.

My avascular necrosis was probably also caused by the gene mutation as well due to blood restriction. Sure, the fracture set things in motion but the lack of correct blood flow was a contributor. Regardless of your genetic predisposition I also learned about wound healing...and I particularly remember what it was like at 10 years of age to cut my hand or leg and literally watch it heal before my eyes in a few days. As we age that process slows down and we wonder why. I asked the nutritionist about this and once again, the supplements "will bring that healing back to what it was like in your younger days". I have been dumbfounded at how fast I have healed since surgery. I cannot express enough how a team of physicians have been the key to my recovery. I think we are conditioned to put trust in one doc and go with it but in reality...nutrition is such a major part of healing and we generally don't associate a doctor with nutrition recommendations. So an oncologist turned nutritionist was a godsend for me.

The road to a total hip replacement can be accelerated by being stubborn as well. I broke my hip being stubborn five years ago. I read a few forums where people were asking about what hip replacement would be best for running. That's just nuts imho. You have about three shots at THR revision. Why would you want to accelerate the process if you didn't need to? Why risk forming microfractures where the stem enters the heart of the bone? Swim for the rest of your life, hang up the late in life tri aspirations and accept defeat. It's okay to do so; I'll drink a beer with you and remind you to be glad with your condition. :chug: Every doc says the same thing...swim until you're 130, you can't do anything better for your health. :applaud:

Well, I could be back here in 6 months facing a total hip replacement and that would be okay. It could happen in 5-15 years or it could never happen. Time will tell. Attitude is everything. I'm happy with whatever happens and I'm no longer scared of the outcome. I'm heading home in :30 minutes to hit the pool in my neighborhood. 1.5 more weeks of crutches, 1 week on a cane and then I wait for life to run its course for 6 months.

If anyone wants more information on any of this stuff please pm me or email me directly as I will be more than happy to share. All the best to a fun filled summer of swimming melanoma free!!! :bliss: