PDA

View Full Version : need right head position for flyer

RayT
January 11th, 2006, 02:20 AM
In swimming fly, we were told by many articles or advices that the head should move subtle and gentle and looking downward during BREATH. And the head should be in line with the spine to avoid up-and-down movement.

However, if you look at a picture of a flyer・s close-up, you can see a swimmer・s WHOLE FACE all the way from forehead to the chin. And this makes me something difficult to relate it to the so-called neutral position.

I mean if we look at say Michael Phelps or Ian Croker's close-up on newspaper, everyone could see their faces!!

I am getting confused.......

Would you please unveil the secret behind? Thank you.

RayT
January 12th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Hello............. any master home????????????

jim clemmons
January 12th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Yes, you're correct.

Phil Arcuni
January 12th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I do not think it is correct. I know from experience that photographers ask for the head up so they get a good personality shot.

jim clemmons
January 12th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Yes, that's what I mean.

Jeff Commings
January 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM
But many of those shots you see are from actual races, not staged photo sessions.

I think it depends on your strength and flexibility. As I've said thousands of times, just because Michael Phelps does it doesn't mean it'll work for you. Tinker with your own stroke and see which head position is most comfortable.

Just FYI: Phelps and Crocker and others throughout history breathe looking forward because they have strong shoulders and swim more forward than up and down. If they breathed downward, they'd be gulping water.

patrick
January 13th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I suggest you seek out some good coaching on this one. When I was with Longhorn Masters, we had an assistant that swam on the National Team that helped me.

After many 25s and 50s, I now extend my chin out over the top of the water, my vision is about 2 feet in front looking forward at the pool bottom at an angle, and I lead with top of my forehead. Like Jeff said: these guys that look forward practically at the starting blocks have incredible strength--shoulder and legs.

Also find a breathing angle that allows for the correct entry of your hands directly at shoulder width. Note: Phelps enters wider--strong guy. I'm biased: check out Crocker's stroke.

Another great tip from this coach: when you get tired in fly, look back at your feet. Keeps the head down and you get better form.

RayT
January 15th, 2006, 10:18 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH, Patrick and Jeff Commings.

You really help me out here.

Thank you.