PDA

View Full Version : Tapering Questions

Draconis
January 11th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I know the benefit of tapering before a meet and I've heard that you will go faster than you do in practice. However, I've never known why. Why DO you go faster?

Also, say after the meet that you've tapered with, you go back right away to a regular workout. Do you keep the speed you gained through tapering, and are faster then? Or do you go back to your original speed before you tapered? Or do you keep a portion of the speed?

Thanks.

Edward The Head
January 12th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Because you've rested. Usually when you're training for a meet or training in general you're working your butt off, then it comes time to taper and you don't do the distance you were a couple of weeks before, the speeds may increase, but so do the rest periods.

I'm feeling tired now, I've go to the pool five times this week, that's the most I've done in well over a year. I can tell I'm not as strong as I was even a couple of days ago.

waves101
January 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM
By tapering, you give the muscles time to repair themselves from the damage done by repeated teardowns/workouts. The energized muscles allow you to perform at a higher level than you did during the intense workout phase. Returning to the same intensity workout after the taper will cause you to lose a proportion of the speed but overall your repeat set intervals will/should be faster than you were able to maintain prior to the taper. The biggest key is to try and figure out how long of a taper you need. Some people perform best with just a few days rest while others can go up to 2-3 weeks of taper workouts for peak performance on race day. Good Luck!