PDA

View Full Version : breathing with one goggle in the water

IndyGal
January 12th, 2006, 10:45 AM
One of my goals for this year is to learn to breathe (freestyle) with one goggle in the water. As it is, my form/balance is ok (I don't lift my head for air) but I rotate more than I need to.

Are there drills for this? Or is it simply a matter of trial and error? For those of you who do this well, what do you see when you rotate to breathe? Is there a specific focal point that helps? Or do you not look at all? I asked one of the elite swimmers at my pool, and she said, "I don't know, I keep my eyes closed!"

scyfreestyler
January 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I just rotate as little as possible to get the air that I need. As a matter of fact, I generally take in a bit of water as I breathe in. I also attempt to breathe out the side of my mouth. It's a little hard to explain but imagine trying to move your mouth to where your cheek is. I don't really think about it anymore unless I am sharing a lane with a large swimmer who makes a significant wake. In that case I tend to rotate more than normal to avoid drowning as we pass.

MichiganHusker
January 12th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Do I have this straight?

Rotate shoulders = Good.

Rotate shoulders without over rotating head = Good

Just like in Happy Gilmore - "it's all in the hips." ?

BlackDove
January 12th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I have no drills, but here's what I try to keep in mind:
1. I keep the head crown level with the waterline.
2. Turn head to side. I don't look to the sky like others.
3. You should be seeing the side clearly from one goggle only. The rest (from the other goggle is just water).
4. I take reassurance that a "bow" wave is created at the top of my head and that creates an air pocket behind it (at your face area) where you can cleanly breath air.
5. That even if some water enters the mouth, you can still prevent it from entering your throat. Any water in the mouth can be "exhaled" to the water when the head is submerged.
6. Keep it relaxed. There may be a feeling of "struggle" at first, but that will go away.

ande
January 19th, 2006, 12:48 PM
just relax and turn your head enough to get a breath.
your mouth just barely needs to be out of the water.
concentrate on your lips and mouth.
figure out the least amount you need to turn your head to get air and not water.

Breathing water is a very bad idea.
You'll get all choked up.

Ande