PDA

View Full Version : Odd ball injury

Mswimming
January 17th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I've been swimming pretty regularly now since July of last year and just recently I started getting a strange pinching/stabbing pain right between my pectoral muscle and my lat and below my armpit on my right side. It feels tight during my pull while swimming freestyle and then I get some shooting pains during my flip turn as I bring my arms up to a streamline as I come off the wall. :confused:

Has anyone else had an injury like this?

I plan to just take a week or two off and see how it feels, but I don't know if this is something more serious.

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin

aztimm
January 17th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Are you using paddles by chance? They can do a number to you if you are not used to them or using them correctly.

Also--have you done anything to change your stroke recently? That could be it.

How much of a warm up and cool down do you do? Many people don't take these seriously (especially the cool down), and you can get some serious muscle pulls.

I'd do some easy swimming, stretching out, and using a heating pad on the area when you can. Of course aspirin will help too. If it is that serious, definitely take time off and see a doctor.

Mswimming
January 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by aztimm
Are you using paddles by chance? They can do a number to you if you are not used to them or using them correctly.

Also--have you done anything to change your stroke recently? That could be it.

How much of a warm up and cool down do you do? Many people don't take these seriously (especially the cool down), and you can get some serious muscle pulls.

I'd do some easy swimming, stretching out, and using a heating pad on the area when you can. Of course aspirin will help too. If it is that serious, definitely take time off and see a doctor.

I think it had to do with not warming up properly. there was a day last week when our pool was exceptionally cold. Usually I start out really slow and build when I warm up, but this day was so cold I couldn't (or didn't) do that. And I'm sure I aggravated it further by swimming the rest of the week.

At this point it is pretty uncomfortable to swim and during the wrong movements its darn right painful. I think my best course of action is to take some time off and let it heal.

Kevin