PDA

View Full Version : Springfield

newtotri
January 18th, 2006, 03:37 PM
is there anywhere besides the YMCA and FitClub that has decent indoor pool to swim in? I don't need another health club membership but I do need a pool. Any suggestions or a directory that could point me in the right direction of finding a pool?

thanks

MPohlmann
January 18th, 2006, 03:58 PM
When I lived in Springfield ages ago, the Masters group swam at the Eisenhower Pool next to Southeast High School. You might check with Nick Merrill to see if they still have access to that pool. nmerrilljr AT msn DOT com

Mary

Matt S
January 18th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I know the downtown YMCA has an excellent age group swim team, for a YMCA. I don't know what that means for masters swimming or pool availability.

newtotri
January 19th, 2006, 03:12 PM
quicker than expected responses, thanks...

I did look into the YMCA, but w/ a sign up fee and then a year committment of 32 bucks a month, its a little more than I can afford. I am only looking to swim 2 or 3 times a week to train for this triathlon, that is a lot of money I think for each swim. Plus the open swim times don't match up with my schedule too well w/ all of the classes they have there.

I will have to check out about the eisenhower pool though.

Any other suggestions?

dorothyrde
January 23rd, 2006, 08:40 PM
I though Eisenhower closed, but I could be wrong. I have not been around for awhile. There are two age group teams in town, the Y one and a USA one. The USA one is called SUSA. There webpage is here, if you want to see where they practice, maybe there is adult times available as well.
http://susa.usswim.net/

Just looked at their page, and I think the pictures on it are of Eisenhower being deepened, so it may still be functioning. I have not been there for about 8 years.

MPohlmann
January 23rd, 2006, 09:52 PM
I checked out the website. Thanks, Dorothy. Looks like Eisenhower pool went through some major renovation, but it's open again.

I believe it is run by the Parks and/or Recreation Department in Springfield, so I imagine there are some open swimming hours even if there is no longer Masters swimming time.

Mary

stussy96
March 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Back when I swam with SUSA, I remember the masters prax would sometimes run before our Sr. Nats group. And sometimes the really fast people would practice with us. I would be surprised if they no longer have a master's team. If you are still looking for info on a master's team, I know of some people at Eisenhower I could track down. Let me know.