PDA

View Full Version : Post-workout Congestion

Bill Cleveland
January 23rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
A swimmer complained today about getting post workout sinus congestion. This is something I have not encountered before and wondered if anyone has a remedy for this?
Perhaps wearing a nose clip during workout?
How about decongestants?
Would this perhaps indicate an allergy or is it something about being in the horizontal position for a while?

Guidance appreciated.

Bill Cleveland
Red River Masters
Shreveport, LA

Rebecca
January 24th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I get post-workout congestion and a decongestant does the trick for me. I also have seasonal allergies, and I like Claritin-D 24-hour, because it takes care of both the allergies and congestion, and you can take it just once a day, but that's a personal preference.

craiglll@yahoo.com
January 24th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Many people think that the congestion is an allergic reaction. I've been told by most allergists that this isn't the truth. Many people who get it can really help themselves by speeding up their turns. If you do a slower turn hte pressure in your sinus cavities and the water pressure aren't equal. Therefore, water gets into the cavities. I use a nose clip. I've had pylops revmoved twice. this is also very common among swimmers who have either/or/both asthma or asprinin sensitivety. I use flonase.

MegSmath
January 24th, 2006, 11:40 AM
This happens to me too, but only on Sundays (!) when I'm able to stay for the entire workout and am in the water longer. I already take Claritin for allergies, and it does not prevent the pool-associated congestion. I can take Benadryl afterwards, but then I'm zonked. I try to remember to use a saline nasal spray afterwards, and that helps the most. I can definitely tell when I've forgotten to do that. I could use nose clips, but frankly I just don't want to!

some_girl
January 24th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I get this, and the severity definitely depends on the condition of the water. But it goes away by the next morning, so I don't worry. The worst part is it makes me sniffle on the subway & people always look at me like I'm going to give them my cold; I always want to say, "It's from swimming. You won't catch it. Stop it with the daggers."

Glenn
January 24th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I was actually glad to read about this congestion, because I frequently get it myself. I thought I was the only one! I swim from 2:30 until 4:00PM and it hits me when I get home after swimming usually in the form of sneezing and stuffed up nose. I have never done anything for it and by bed time it usually clears up. Glad to hear there are some remedies for it.:)

2go+h20
March 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I too had this problem. Began with sneezing after workout. Then a nose that ran like a tap. Congestion. Then sinus infections that were stubborn and constant.
So I simply wear a nose plug when in chlorine.
Problem solved.
And the plus is when I swim open water I feel like I have way more air as I can breath in my nose. For me it was a possible allergy to chlorine.
Lots of my swimmers wear a nose plug for the same reason, and have found the end ot the congestion, sneezing and runny nose sinus problems.
Kiwi

craiglll@yahoo.com
March 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
This topic never goes away. Another reason for congestion is (ssorry about the agreement) nasal polyops. Sopmetimes you don't notice them because they are not inflamed.

5out6aintbad
September 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I know it's a while since this topic was last discussed but I really suffer with this.

I swim late at night ('til 10) Tues, Wed and Thu and 6 to 7 Fri am. I sometimes swim Saturday as well. On the Tuesday session after a few days lay off I get really bad sneezes. These kick in when I get up the next morning and last until lunchtime usually. Occassionally my nose streams during the night disrupting my sleep.

On the subsequent days I get no effect. I take Loratidine 24hr allergy relief from Tuesday PM.

I am interested in the saline nasal wash approach - do you buy this or make it? and if anyone else has ideas why I only get it on the first swoim of the week I'd be fascinated.

5out6aint bad refers to myself, 13 year old son and three daughters 11, 9 and 7 who are all in the same club. My son gets terrible hayfever and allergies and the pool is one place he can releif.

Thanks for your help

Richard