PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a Wicking Swim Towel?

finlegs
January 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I got a wicking swim towel for Christmas, and I want to know if anyone knows where I can get more. It's called the Wick-er Warmup Towel, it's made by Discovery Trekking Outfitters. It's quite large, very thin, dries faster than anything I've used before. Also gives some sun protection according to the label. I haven't seen them in stores. It was purchased in Canada at a swim meet I think, or maybe online. Anyone heard of these? I think it might be very new on the market.

Dont confuse it with a chamois towel, it's nothing like that. Much better in my opinion.

nkfrench
January 29th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I just got an unsolicited commercial email ad from the company.
Their website says they do not do sales to individuals but they do sell to swim clubs in bulk.
www.discoverytrekking.com
They targeted their mailing to swim clubs so I wouldn't consider them a spammer, just a bulk emailer.

finlegs
January 29th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I looked at the website, and they do sell to individuals, the towels are $20 each. But, they also say to contact them if you want team pricing on bulk orders. I will be getting another one for sure. Thanks!

geochuck
January 29th, 2006, 08:07 PM
How about http://www.devantltd.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

2go+h20
January 29th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I Have one of these towels, the wicker ones. It is absoultely awesome. Extremely thirsty, yet a dry towel (as opposed to the wet chamois)soft, takes up very little room. Also can be wrapped comfortably around your waist without the bulk of a regular towel.
Well worth the money. Can be purchased at most outdoor type sporting shops and Mountain Equipment Coop (mec.ca).
If you want one, come and swim my 10km in July. Comes with your entry fee!!
Kiwi

finlegs
January 31st, 2006, 09:25 PM
Those small ones look interesting, but they aren't the same as the Wick-er Warmup one I have bought online from Discovery Trekking ( www.discoverytrekking.com )
For one thing, the DTO towel is huge...36 x 60" but is very thin so it packs up quite small. I like the fact that the DTO towel also offers sun protection.
The one you are talking about is microfibre, which is a wonderful fabric, I use it for cleaning glass, and even face cloths. But what I have been told about the Wick-er Warmup towel is that the most important feature is that is is made with Silver in the thread, which is a permanent anti-bacterial (anti microbial?) treatment so it never smells even when damp. (and it doesn't stay damp for long.) So, if I'm going to Golf, I'll take your towel. If I'm going to Swim......I'm getting the Wick-er Warmup towel. It's better suited for the sport.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 2nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
Along this same line of thought, has anyone tried the new speedo that is supposed to stay dry while inthe water? I think it is called XDSkin or somehting like htat. They were inthe Kastaway catalogue. I don't understand the copncept really.

Blue Horn
February 2nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
I think it is a triathelte thing.

geochuck
February 2nd, 2006, 11:59 AM
This is interesting http://www.fiel.com/html/catalog/details/details_beach_towels.html#mfs60

W4CHL
February 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Years ago, I got a small camp towel that was made of non-reinforced PVA (Polyvinyl Acetal). It was OK for those times when I really didn't want to deal with a wet towel, but the thing wasn't very durable and wasn't treated with anything to keep fungus from building up, so had to put it in non-chlorine bleach every other month or so.

Fast forward a couple of decades, and now for the past year I've been using only these PVA ( 100% with synthetic fiber mesh reinforced) towels to dry off after swimming or after taking showers. Saves energy, too, as there are no wet cotton towels to dry. Perhaps twice a year, I've put the less used PVA towels in non-chlorine bleach as sometimes fungus spots pop up.

Here are some I've used and found readily available at many places (at least in the US). All of these come in a reclosable plastic tube, all of them really need to be washed (I used non-chlorine bleach, hand washed) before use the first time as they have a distinct "plastic" odor, IMO. Vroom towel - so far I've only found it in bright orange, has a softer, textured finish on one side and smooth finish on the other side. It's 27"x17" so you can wrap around and dry your back without having super flexible arms and shoulders. Found at Target in US in the Automotive section for under $10
UPDATE: this Vroom towel seems to lose wicking ability within a few months unlike The Absorber, Speedo, Sammy, and other thicker PVA towels.
The Absorber - also about 27"x17", but with both sides having slightly textured surface, effectively a larger version of the Speedo swim towel. Available in many colors at Target and other big box stores in the Automotive supplies section, also under $10.
Speedo swim towel - smaller, 11"x17" so only those who are really flexible can use it to dry your own back! Guess it encourages teamwork? Go for $12-$15 at various swim stores. Anyone else have comments about these PVA towels vs "microfiber" towels, or the trek towels discussed above, and traditional cotton "beach" towel?

My kids don't like the PVA towels with the smooth surfaces only, as they say that it feels clammy to the skin. Unless really hot, these PVA towels always feel cold unless you've put the towel & tube out in the sun or rinsed the towel in warm water before using!

Cheers de Mark W4CHL

leslie hanes
February 17th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I just had to check out this forum! I am an owner of the company that makes the Wick-er Warmup towels, and I have had many of my customers say that they read about them, and tried them, because of reading what other swimmers have said...so I wanted to know what information was lurking around this site! (nice site by the way!!)
Here are the facts about the Wick-er Warmup Towel. It is made from a very technical stretch fabric that contains Silver ion. As you may know, bacteria doesn't grow on silver (hospitals use it in bandaging burn victims, babies get it put in their eyes when born...) SO>> our towel doesn't grow bacteria and therefore doesn't smell when damp like other towels. It is fairly thin, and quite frankly many of our best customers were skeptical when they saw it....UNTIL they tried it. It really does wick the water off your skin so fast you'll be amazed. But the neat thing is, the towel dries very quickly, so you don't need as many at a meet.
But that's not even the best thing. It protects you from the sun, depending on the color, the darker the color the higher the SPF protection...up to 40 for black and Navy. It embroiders beautifully, and it also silkscreens (with a stretch additive)
It comes in 3 sizes, the largest can double as a beach coverup, the smallest is normally used for sports like badminton, and for running (goes around the neck nicely)....If you want any more information please just contact me directly. There are a lot of towels on the market, some are very good, but there isn't anything that even compares to this amazing fabric.
Leslie Hanes
Discovery Trekking Outfitters Ltd. Yes, we're Canadian...but the fabric is made in the good old USA!! (how's that for good neighbors?) www.discoverytrekking.com

:)

W4CHL
May 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Got one (actually several) of the Discovery Trekking towels and found the smallest is a great compact accessory with a PVA "towel" in a swim bag. Now my kids like the middle sized towel since they like to wrap it around their shoulders.

The largest version seems to be very similar to the airline "blankets" that Delta gives passengers to use, at least seemed so when I compared on my last long airline trip. But the weave is a good bit different and the passenger blanket didn't do so well mopping up water that I spilled compared to the Discovery Trekking towel.

Danny Defeat-0
May 23rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
I'm another "convert"...I heard through the grapevine about the Discovery Trekking Outfitters wicking swim towel and although skeptical, I gave it a try. I must say I am quite impressed...They sell for around $25. which for an ordinary towel is pricey, but they are worth every cent. I should have got together with some team mates, because it says on the website that they give teams discounts, but didn't say how much. I've had mine for about 6 months and I use it every day at the pool (also travelling, easy to pack, takes hardly any room) and it still looks like the day I bought it. My wife keeps taking mine, I am going to get a couple more. The website was interesting, they appear to be a custom outerwear company but the towels are on their own webpage "wicking towels". I noticed they also sell a swim diaper....I don't need one yet, but I do appreciate the need for many people to have that. (especially if I'm in the same pool..)

ALM
June 27th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I called Discovery Trekking today and ordered one. I'm hoping to use it when traveling to swim meets. Regular towels take up too much room in a swim bag.

I'll post my "review" after I receive it and try it out.

proberts
June 28th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Got one about a month ago...They are GREAT..good people to deal with too.

joy
June 28th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I got a big one the 1st of the yr and love it. They are very obliging people to work with. Thank you Discovery Trekking.

ALM
December 9th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I have now used this towel at several swim meets. It really does soak up a lot of water, and it dries very quickly.

It was perfect last summer for a week-long meet in Chicago. I used public transporation to get back and forth to the pool, so I wanted to carry as little as possible. The towel probably took up less room in my bag than two t-shirts. It even dried quickly in the hotel room (where things never seem to get dry).

Buy it here: www.discoverytrekking.com

Anna Lea

finlegs
February 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I just discovered that DTO (Discovery Trekking Outfitters) also has very small towels in the same wonderful wicking fabric...for running. they have a loop that attaches to a fuel belt. I think it would be very refreshing to see marathons offer these as prizes or in the runner's goodie bags, instead of a t-shirt....how many t-shirts do we need?
The fabric contains Silver so it kills bacteria naturally. I really think that is cool technology. I have recently seen the towels in a couple of retail outlets...up until now I have only been able to find them on the website www.discoverytrekking.com

blainesapprentice
February 19th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I asked and received one of these towels for christmas this year...and while I still carry that towel and a regular towel to the meets...I think I would be better off just getting one more wicking towel and completly ditching regular towels. At my 4 day meet this past weekend...the other regular towel never came out of the bag....I used my wicking towel for 6 straight sessions...and it was always plenty dry!

AWESOME

dorianblade
February 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Just ordered a large black one. What an awesome product. Thanks guys.

minnow
February 19th, 2007, 10:16 PM
It's not often I feel compelled to do a "testimonial"....actually it's never.
But I have to do it here. This is probably the nicest towel I've ever had. I bought one about a year ago. I gave a bunch as gifts in December, some went to friends overseas. Everyone was just as impressed as me. I also used it when I was on a plane, it's very lightweight and the silver in the fabric reflects back body heat...I was really nice and toasty and the plane was very cool. I originally bought one because the silver ion technology that kills bacteria really interests me. This company has a winner...I just wish there were more retail outlets...but having said that, they are very helpful and great to deal with. I think everyone who is swimming should get at least 1...but I guarantee you'll get a couple more once you are "converted".

ps....If the folks at www.discoverytrekking.com (http://www.discoverytrekking.com) see this....I'll be a sales rep!!!

minnow (aka Laurie)

swimshark
February 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I got one for this past Christmas too and love it. My sister saw it and wants one as well. That means I don't have to come up with an idea for her birthday. Yeah!

Alison

dorianblade
February 20th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I got one for this past Christmas too and love it. My sister saw it and wants one as well. That means I don't have to come up with an idea for her birthday. Yeah!

Alison

Alison, did you get the large size? how is it? I keep hearing it's "huge". Is it pool friendly? I can't wait to try mine out.

swimshark
February 20th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I did get the largest size. My parents actually ordered it. I probably would have gotten something if I had ordered it myself but I like it. It is huge but it folds up so small and compact in my bag.

Alison

finlegs
April 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Just saw a press release on swimmingworldmagazine.com about how popular these new towels are. I sure like mine. Thanks Discovery Trekking for an amazing product.

ALM
April 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Alison, did you get the large size? how is it? I keep hearing it's "huge". Is it pool friendly? I can't wait to try mine out.

For swimming I'd definitely recommend the largest size. I just measured mine; it's 32" x 62". But it literally folds up into the size of a folded t-shirt.

For you new users, be prepared for it to feel very weird the first time you use it. The fabric feels somewhat like swimsuit fabric. It's very deceiving - at first it doesn't feel like it's absorbing anything at all. But all of a sudden you realize that it's working, and that it really soaks up a lot of water.

-Anna Lea

Claudius Maximum
April 8th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Why aren't these towels in more stores? They are great. I just ordered 50 more for our team. We got some last year to try them out, and even the family members of the team wanted them. We had ours embroidered with the team logo...really looked nice. I just wish some of the swim shops were carrying them around here. But, the folks at Discovery Trekking were awesome, and we got a team discount.
They don't offer discounts off of the website, I had to call them to get it, which is a drag, but worth it...

ALM
April 9th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I just found a source in the United States (they're still made by Discovery Trekking):

http://www.eclecticsilver.net/

Wicker Warm-Up Towel Now Available at Eclectic Silver

Eclectic Silver has recently added the Wick-er Warm-up Towel to its inventory and is very pleased to announce that it is the ONLY distributor currently in the United States. These towels are unlike any towel you have ever used; they are virtually transparent yet dry you off and then dry out very quickly. Being made with silver ion, they will also immensely inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi and can be used as a travel blanket, a shawl, swim suit wrap, or even in hotel rooms on your bed for added protection from bacteria and other unpleasantries. The towel comes in several sizes ranging from 36″ x 60″ down to the athletic towel that velcro attaches to a belt/loop. Recently the Chicago Tribune posted a review of this wonderful towel. Please read what they had to say about it:

March 11, 2007 Chicago Tribune

“Travel accessories Wick-er Warmup Wicking Travel Towel
(Discovery Trekking Outfitters; $25)

For want of a better description, they’re calling this the Travel Towel, but it seems there’s nothing this towel can’t do. It’s lightweight, soft, smooth, thermal, stretchy, quick-wicking, permanently anti-microbial, and it comes with an SPF sunblock rating between 15 and 40, depending on the color. It is made of the same stuff as the most advanced athletic wear (and, as a bonus, scientifically designed to permanently repel odor-causing bacteria). I used this wondrous, 36-by-60-inch piece of hemmed cloth to dry myself off after a shower the other evening– a job that usually takes one normal towel for my body and another for my hair. The Wicking Travel Towel dried my skin pat-down style–I didn’t have to rub–without leaving any damp spots. It removed so much water from my hair, which is long enough to reach the middle of my back, that my hair was completely air dry in less than half an hour. By morning, the towel was completely dry as well. Because of its wicking properties, the patent-pending cloth dries three times faster than cotton, so say Diane Stobart and Leslie Hanes, the two Canadian women who invented it. And because they are using silver ion technology–the silver is embedded in the cloth–the towel’s anti-microbial properties will never wash out. The feel of the fabric is nice enough to wear as a scarf or a beach cover.

And I’ve even tried it on a recent airplane trip to block airborne germs–more attractive and practical than a surgical mask–and as a barrier to whatever diseases might have been lurking in the hotel-room pillows. It’s available in smaller sizes and in the following colors: navy, black, red dark green, purple, royal blue and gold. (www.discoverytrekking.com )”

--Anna Lea

finlegs
January 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I contacted Discovery Trekking to get my new supply of the fast dry swim towels last fall. I ordered a couple, and told them to call me if they ever get them in Orange. I can't believe it...they actually called me today and told me they had Orange. I think that makes about 16 colors they offer now. The orange towel isn't the amazing thing, it's that a company actually remembered that I asked them to call me. This is amazing customer service.
Also, last fall when I ordered a towel I talked to the owner of the company...She actually suggested that our team get "hoodies" made from the towel fabric. We did, and they are really cool. They don't have this on their website, but this is a small company that goes the extra mile and are able to do a lot of custom requests, and I really hope they do well. We were able to get 30 hoodies made from the towel fabric, in our team color. They are really nice to throw on over our suits. I think they will really come in handy in the summer outdoor swim meets.

tjrpatt
January 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
do you have a link or some kind of image for the hoodies. I don't see it on the website.

finlegs
January 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I don't think they show on the website...the idea just came up in a conversation with the lady I spoke to. This company actually has a brick-and-mortar store that specializes in custom outerwear. She just mentioned in passing that they made all types of custom jackets and outerwear, and could do our team really simple hoodies from the towel fabric, because they are able to sew them in their shop. Initially, I just got one made to see what it was like because I thought it would be good even if the rest of the group wasn't interested. I showed it to the exec. of our club, and we decided to get one for everybody. They are very simple...just a roomy pullover with a simple hood. The sleeves are hemmed, and so is the bottom. It has no pockets, but we could have asked for them I think.
I think they were around $55. each which wasn't bad, because this is the wicking fabric with the Silver, just like the towels. I can't guarantee that they will do this again, you could just email them and ask. I don't see why not. I was very impressed with the offer to do something out of the ordinary, and they were super nice to deal with. I know the towels embroider well so I don't see why team logo couldn't be put on the hoodies, but we didn't bother.

swimshark
January 7th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Lee, that is great to hear that they have gone above and beyond for you. Thanks for letting us know. I have one of their towels and love it.

ensignada
January 7th, 2009, 11:31 PM
This Christmas I bought one for myself, one for my daughter for meets (so I don't have to lug around 20 lbs of wet towels) and 3 small ones for family who love camping/hiking. They are great - light even when wet and surprisingly absorbent. The purple is a knockout too, lol.

leslie hanes
January 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I would like to thank everyone who have made our fast-dry swim towels such a success, and particularly for all the kind words you say about us! We are a small company with a big product...so when you call you often get senior staff whose job it is to "do whatever needs doing"...if that taking orders, then that's what we do.

I have received quite a few calls in the past few days since one of our customers posted about getting swim hoodies from us, made from the special towel fabric that contains Silver. I thought I would clarify what these are, to answer those questions. We don't have these on our website, because they aren't a stock item. We will in fact make them by request, in any color that the towels are made in,as long as we have the fabric in stock. We manufacture on-site, so are able to make whatever volume or sizes you need. We try to keep the design very simple because the fabric is very high tech, and we are producing in North America. The simpler the design, the lower we can keep our costs.

Since I last posted, our towels have been featured in over 30 major magazine "gear reviews", and been on tv 3 times! We have never paid for any advertising...our towels and other products rely upon word of mouth from the experts...(that would be you!)

Thanks again... If you have any suggestions how we can improve our products or if you have a need you think we may fill, please call!
250 286 6577
Our email is discoverytrekking@telus.net Thanks everyone!:cheerleader::canada:

leslie hanes
February 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hi, this is Leslie...I own the company that makes the amazing fast-dry wicking swim towels.
I appreciate the great feedback everyone has given us on our unique towels. We have had the towels featured in over 50 magazine gear reviews now. This month, they are in the Backpacker magazine "essential gear guide" which is wonderful. We've also had them tested and reviewed by independent testers at BackPackGearTest.org. They were comparing the existing towels to an even lighter version we recently developed (hard to believe if you've ever seen how light our original towels are.) Both got extremely high ratings. I keep getting emails asking where they can be purchased (retail stores).
The towels are now available at REI stores in the West, and hopefully will be in all of them by the end of 2010. We still do not have a major US swim supplier, and are currently looking for the right swim supply partner to make it easier for you to purchase.
We have been approached by Amazon to sell them there as well, we are hoping to have them online through Amazon by April 2010. In the meantime, we still have them for sale on our site. In Canada, Team Aquatic Supplies carries them in their stores.
Thanks for your support and suggestions.
Leslie
www.discoverytrekking.com

swimshark
February 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Thank you for your great products Leslie. I now not only own the largest in dark blue but the small one in purple. I use them both and they are great!

KIKat
February 3rd, 2011, 01:34 AM
Googled "swim towels" and was once again directed to the USMS forums. Just ordered one of the large, thanks for the advice and reviews.

andythecowboy
March 13th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I just received my shipment from discoverytrekking - really great towels. They had some with minor defects on sale, so I bought those and I can't see any problems. My only complaint was that they were out of some of the colors I selected, so they sent substitutes and they shipped to my billing address, but it's a really great product. I let the company know about my concerns so I don't imagine that it would be an ongoing problem.

ATC

andythecowboy
March 13th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I posted a little earlier about my discoverytrekking order. They quickly responded to my feedback about the shipping address and corrected my mistake - there is a disclaimer for sale item color choices on the website that I had missed:
"Color choice on sale towels is preference only, as we have a limited supply. We will try to fill it with the color of your choice but it is not guaranteed and another color may be substituted. You can request a second and third color choice in the notes section of your order."

ATC

Dan W
April 6th, 2016, 01:38 PM
https://youtu.be/EvAHWZffpL0?t=16s

Review of Snappy Towels Swim & Travel Towel, another fine option.

Sachad
June 30th, 2018, 10:37 AM
There seems to be an undercurrent of animosity flowing through this thread http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

I doubt that DF Towel is going to beat his own drum, let alone on a Meguiar's forum http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/images/smilies/wink2.gif

His towels are superb (as are many others). DF towels will not scratch paint. Not soft single-stage and not clearcoat.

The DF towel is utterly different from 100% cotton "bath towels" in the same sense that a high-quality "MF" towel (such as one of those I bought from Meguiar's) is different from a scratchy polyester cloth.

The "microfiber" designation is a matter of the strands of material in the towel (micro= tiny, fine, so much so as to be functionally nonabrasive). We're just most accustomed to the synthetic ones that get the most attention so the term has become, strictly speaking, inaccurately applied in general parlance.

The DF towel like Wise Owl is made of natural fibers instead of synthetic ones. I'm no expert on the material, but if you want more info go to his website (easy enough to find with any internet search engine). Get the info straight from the horse's mouth, he has a reputation for honesty and candor that is, IMO, well-deserved.

Lots of good detailing textiles out there, and the ones from DF Towels are among them.

arrieros
June 30th, 2018, 02:01 PM
:confused: