PDA

View Full Version : Eagerly Awaiting The Gull vs. Geek Results

scyfreestyler
January 29th, 2006, 05:11 PM
???:D

dorothyrde
January 29th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Tapping my foot waiting, taptaptaptaptaptap.

scyfreestyler
January 29th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Maybe they are off sharing a beer celebrating their times that were seperated by only thousandths of a second.

gull
January 29th, 2006, 11:19 PM
The winner is....Geek by two tenths of a second. Unfortunately he was in lane 2, and I was in lane 7, so we couldn't see each other during the race. To his credit, he was very gracious and did not play air guitar standing over my lane at the finish. Anyway, I was happy with my (unshaved) time of 5:39, my fastest in 27 years.

scyfreestyler
January 29th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Well congrats to Geek for his success.

Congrats to Gull for swimming his fastest time in 27 years. BTW, I can relate to the distance between lanes issue. I was in lane 1 for one of my races last weekend and I never could tell what was going on past lane 3. I just gave it my all and hoped for the best.

Two tenths is a slim margin, especially in such a long race. You two have equally impressive conditioning.

Out of curiosity, what was the fastest time of the day in that event?

Peter Cruise
January 29th, 2006, 11:41 PM
How can the Geek swim that fast with his foot firmly embedded in his mouth?

aquageek
January 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Gull had to travel 7 hours or so to get to Charlotte. He had to stay in a hotel while I live just a few miles away and slept in my own bed. He beat me easily in the 200 free. So, I'd say, all in all, the pendulum swings more to gull's side than mine for the weekend victor.

aquageek
January 30th, 2006, 08:21 AM
As to the fastest time in the 500, I heard the bell when I had a 100 to go so I'd guess somewhere around 5 minutes, give or take.

gull
January 30th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by aquageek
Gull had to travel 7 hours or so to get to Charlotte. He had to stay in a hotel while I live just a few miles away and slept in my own bed. He beat me easily in the 200 free. So, I'd say, all in all, the pendulum swings more to gull's side than mine for the weekend victor.

Actually I slept on a "heavenly bed" at the Westin and edged Geek by only half a second in the 200. But I am old enough to be his...older brother.

BORN2BNH2O
January 30th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Nice race gentlemen.
:)

fatboy
January 30th, 2006, 06:12 PM
aquageek and gull,

congratulations to both of you on your race performances

newmastersswimmer
January 30th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Sounds like they had quite a showdown this past weekend......Nice job guys.

Newmastersswimmer

ande
January 31st, 2006, 11:07 AM
congratulations
how did you split it?

ande

Originally posted by gull80
The winner is....Geek by two tenths of a second. Unfortunately he was in lane 2, and I was in lane 7, so we couldn't see each other during the race. To his credit, he was very gracious and did not play air guitar standing over my lane at the finish. Anyway, I was happy with my (unshaved) time of 5:39, my fastest in 27 years.

gull
January 31st, 2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ande
congratulations
how did you split it?

1:06 (:32/34), 1:09 (:34/:35--jammed a turn), 1:08, 1:08, 1:08

scyfreestyler
January 31st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Those are good numbers Gull.

You mention that you jammed a turn during the race. That could have very well changed the end result I suspect. My piss poor streamline that nearly brought me to a standstill in my 50 Free probably added at least a second or two to my time of :28.77. I am starting to pay more attention to things that don't require a lot of effort such as streamlines and turns.

gull
January 31st, 2006, 01:11 PM
There are 19 turns in a 500. Anyway, I wasn't making excuses, just trying to explain why one of my splits was "off."

scyfreestyler
January 31st, 2006, 01:20 PM
Oh, I know you were not making excuses. I was making them for my 50 time though. :D

I was actually just pointing out that little things like turns and starts can make the difference between 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on any given day when people of equal training and talent are in the pool together.