PDA

View Full Version : Gatorman Qualifier

ChrisM
January 30th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I see for the 3 mile Gatorman you have to have a 90 minute USMS 3 miler within the last year to qualify. Are there any other local 3 milers in the area? Haven't seen any....

Sort of like you need experience to get experience?

sdswimmer
February 25th, 2006, 07:35 PM
There's the 5 mile tour of buoys but it may not be USMS this year. There is the race around the rock and its qualifiers in San Francisco and I think there are a few 3 milers in Santa Barbara. Maybe you could get your local group to do a 3 mile qualifier swim?

Matt S
February 26th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Chris,

I've inquired about qualifying swims for two ultralong races. The vibe I got from the race directors is that they are not so hung up on the EXACT requirements of the qualifying swim. They are simply looking for some assurance you are experienced and not the Jacques Clouseau of open water swimming. (Imagine Steve Martin showing up for a 5K with a nose pinch and arm floaties, but I digress...)

For last year's Wingshadow 10K, I simply recited my history swimming in the Big Shoulders 5K, and provided the links to the race results (so he knew I wasn't jivin' him), and it was easy-peasey.

I noticed recently a very long race that wanted some record of a 4 hour qualifying swim. I asked the race director if a 10K in a little over 3 hours would be acceptable (again with a link to the race results), and he replied within hours it would be acceptable.

Matt

ChrisM
February 27th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I also posted a note to the RD, response was along the lines of what you said (jacques clouseau in a speedo, good stuff). Seems they just want to make sure you can swim 3 miles, it's a serious distance, although I guess they take your word for it...

Response =
"The statement is accurate, however, are you between
19 & 60 years old? Have you completed a 3 mile swim (in the ocean) under 90 min within the past 18 months?
If the answer to BOTH questions are yes, send in your entry form.
Thanks for your interest in our event,
LJRWS"

beireland
March 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
There should be some other 3 mile swims in SoCal--Seal Beach usually has a 3 mile swim. Santa Barbara usually has a 3 mile swim. Santa Barbara also has a 6 mile swim which would probably qualify you.

The suggestion of getting some people to do a 3 mile swim around the LJ Cove one mile course and timing it is probably the easist solution however.

irreklg
May 16th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Hi Chris,

I know it was a while ago when you first posted, but I thought I would reply anyway.

I entered the Gatorman last year without having ever swam a three mile race. I had done several two mile races and was pretty sure that I could make the cut time so I took a chance. There wasn't any problem with them accepting my entry.

I ended up loving the distance and had a great time. I plan to swim it again this year. Oh yeah, I won my age group, too. Who knew????

Good luck!