PDA

View Full Version : Post Abdominal Surgery Workouts

Fitswimmer04
February 2nd, 2006, 08:24 PM
I had major abdominal surgery on January 9th to remove a large ovarian cyst. My favorite exercise is swimming, so when I get clearance from my MD, the first place I want to go is the pool!!
Before my surgery, I could swim a mile and a quarter in about 40 minutes. (I know, manatee speed) I'm hoping that the long term result of the surgery will be that I can increase my speed and endurance. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had similar abdominal surgery and has any advice for getting back in shape.

swimr4life
February 3rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
A few years back I had 3 abdominal surgeries within 5 years! Each time I was able to bounce back. Ease into flip turns and butterfly. That was the only time I had any difficulties. The main thing I would tell you is be patient with yourself. Don't try to do too much too soon! Your body will definitely let you know if you do too much! Listen to it and don't overdo.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 3rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
In 1997-1998, I had several surgeries on my gut to remove my colon & rebuild my bottom. I started to swim one week after the operation. At the time I had an illeostmy bag & a hickman. I got soem very weird looks from my fellow swimmers.

Before I got really sick, I weighed 207 pounds. Right before the surgery, I weighed 172 pounds. Now I weigh 183 pounds. the surgeon & my nurse caseworker both said that I should be okay after about three months after the reattachment. I had many complications. I have never regained the weight, nor have I really regained the speed. Oddly, while I ws wearing the bag & taking follow-up chemo, I had some of the fastest times ever pot-college swimming. Now though I'm very slow.

I hope all goes well with you. Please though remember recovery doesn't always lead to the place you were before. Frequently, it will lead you to a very different place. It was a tremendous growing experience. My attitude towards life and other peole is so different now.

Good luck,
Craig

Fitswimmer04
February 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Wow. Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I went for my post op check yesterday and my MD said I still had to wait 3 more weeks to get back in the pool. :mad: I'd rather wait the extra week though and really be ready to work.
You're right about what it does to your mind. I dodged a HUGE bullet with this incident and it's done a real number on my head. I'm hoping returning to exercise will help me get things in perspective.