PDA

View Full Version : Training for Long Open Water Competition

bwest
February 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I am a strong swimmer and competitive triathlete, but I am starting to compete in longer races, Half ironmen and ironmen. I am currently signed up for a 4.4 mile open water swim and would like some tips or advice on what to do to train for this race. I am planning an ironman a few months later so I can't spend all of my workouts in the water. Any suggestions on good training programs or workouts that won't break the bank??

Betsy
February 4th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I have forwarded your message to Marcia Cleveland, Long Distance Chair. Since Marcia has completed swims of the English Channel and from Catalina Island to Long Beach, she is very knowledgeable about training.
Betsy Durrant

Betsy
February 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
bwest:
Betsy Durrant forwarded your message to me. The swim you've signed up for is probably Chesapeake Bay.
There are several workouts on my website at www.Doversolo.com, as well as at www.usms.org/longdist.

If you have other questions, feel free to contact me directly.
Swimcerely,
Marcia Cleveland
Chair, USMS Long Distance

bwest
February 8th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I am signed up for the Chesapeake Bay swim and was looking for something new to use in my training for the race. I appreciate your help.

DianaC
April 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM
bwest,

Good luck with the GCBS! I am signed up for it too. I did it last year, and plan to finish again this year.

Do you swim with a team or alone? If you swim alone, I suggest finding a team! If you swim with a team, speak with your coach and see what s/he recommends. Many of the coaches in our area are familiar with the Bay Swim and are willing to help you set up a Plan to achieve that goal.

You can also go to our Masters team's website
terrapinmasters.org under articles there are several good ones about the Bay Swim.

Good luck! See you at Hemingway's!
Diana