PDA

View Full Version : long-distance pool swim

fitaries
February 8th, 2006, 10:45 AM
hi folks,

i'm doing a 12-hour charity swim next week in a 25 yard pool, 81 degree water, and probably around 80 degree mid-day air temp. i'm hoping to cover probably round 30,000 yards during that time.

does anyone have any experience in something like this? if so, i am eager to hear your suggestions on hydration, feeding, and what kind of "workout" you did to get through it. what kind of unexpected problems await me?

oh - and of course if you want to donate, :) - the donations are going to the Northwest Tucson YMCA's "Changing Lives Campaign" which provides scholarships for less advantaged families in our area to take swim lessons, go to camp, etc. My hope is to raise enough to send 20 little ones through swim lessons this summer so they won't have to wait til the age of 30 (like I did) in order to learn how to swim. Please help if you can! Thanks!

Kevin in MD
February 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Nutrition will be similar to most long distance swims.

some gatorade or accelerade every 15 - 20 minutes will hold you in good stead. On the hour something a little more substantial.

Body glide or vaseline on all joints, armpits, groin, where the edges of your suit ouch.

Two unexpected things last year I did a ridiculously long pool swim and had pretty tough irritation where the suit flapped when I pushed off the wall. After 8 hours it irrtated the skin underneath very badly. I also mixed strokes and the breastroke irrtated my face form all the reentries and it burned a fair bit.

I took several of the long distance main sets from the book championship swim training and did them back to back. You'll be well advised to have some firends take turns swimming with you for a while. Schedule it out.

MichiganHusker
February 8th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Wow! Good luck! I workout at a YMCA w/ the same conditions you describe.

It is kind of like going for a jog or bike ride on a hot day - take it easier than you normally would and don't push yourself as hard.

jinxextreme
February 10th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I have been swimming for 13 years and know exactly what you would be going through. Eating is almost impossible if you plan to stay in the water that long. The product Ensure, ya know, the drink for sensitive stomachs is probably one of the best. Solid food can strip energy away from you, so this would be your best bet. It has the carbs, protien and sugar you need to keep goin'. Best of luck! Swim steady!

lapswimmr
February 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Go to this page

http://www.thechannelswimmers.com

Click on observer reports -solo swims or others on the left of the home page and read the reports. These are written by official English Channel swim observers for record swims. You may be surprised by the number of feeds and the amounts of advil and other pain inflammation pills taken . Thats about a 21 mile swim, you will be doing about a 17 mile swim close..The channel is of course colder like 60's so that may have something to do with the feeds and liquids but in a 81 F pool you may need some more to drink and what about a restroom stop? You woun't be in the channel after all!.. This site is very interesting some of the logs detail the stroke count per minute then take that to 12 hours of swimming.. incredible feats!

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 11th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I hope hte swim goes well. I love nothing better than to get into a pool andjust swim. there are times I will swim without stopping for 3-4 hours. It is so amazing. Good Luck