PDA

View Full Version : World Swim for Malaria

dreamer
February 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM
i found this on Speedo's website. Just thoght I'd post it if anyone wanted to partake for a great cause. Swim on!

www.worldswimformalaria.org

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 9th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I did this swim on DEc 3rd. It was a lot of fun. I got terrible cramps duringthe second mile but then recovered and endd up doing the last 1/3 rather fast for me.

Malaria is oe of the most common ailments inthe third world. However, itis so easy to irradicate. One huge problem isthat when people go to a doctor and get a prescription for Quinine, they don't finish it. They will frequently ta ke only enough to get over the symptoms that keep them from working. then they get sich again and finish what is left. If they would take the entire course of the drug, thye woudl do much better.

I really think that what needs to be done is a world-wide public health campaign simular to the one one polio. If I remember correctly, the man who designed the program to get rid of polo was a swimmer inthe UK whenhe was young.

jadams
February 18th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I did this swim on Dec. 3 when over 250,000 swimmers worldwide swam together to raise money for malaria. They have extended the campaign until June 06, I think. I managed to raise $165 just from friends and family and myself alone. Organized teams can raise much more. Every $5 raised buys a net to protect children against malaria. The response from the US has been underwhelming. Bono and the Gates won Time's People of the Year for such causes. This is a good chance for swimmers to show that we are interested in global causes. Grant Hackett (my hero) promoted it, and people in all countries swam.
See the video:http://www.worldswimformalaria.com/en/downloads_videos.aspx
They want a million swimmers- do your part.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 20th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I am really surprised by the extremely low turn out here in the states. This is such a good cause. So many people get malaria while they are sleeping! If they use the bednetting correctly, the chances of individuals getting malaria really drop.

Please look at the site. If you don't want to do the swim, then just pump a donation into someone's account. Iat at [url]www.worldswimformalaria.com

dreamer
February 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I was suprised as well at the low numbers for the US, which is why i posted it on the boards. I figured that maybe members would pass it on to their masters team, related age group teams, or just suggest it at their pool if anyone was interested to participate. it seems that Canada, Britain, and Australia are the forerunners. And like it says, you don't have to swim an enormous amount to participate, just whatever you can muster.

Swim On!