PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Snap & Glute Squeeze

Draconis
February 12th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Hokay, so, today I was surfing the internet and I came across an article describing Kitajima's secret weapon: the ankle snap.

I think this is what it is, and please correct me if I'm wrong: It is the process of turning ones feet from when the soles face outwards, to when the soles face each other inwards in one quick swift movement. Is that right?

So, hwo does one do that? Do you have to be born with extreme ankle flexion to it, or can you force-flex your ankles for a long time (say, everyday for 5 minutes for a year) and then your ankles will be flexible enough? If so, what can I do to achieve this ankle snap, because it really sounds cool and powerful and is a key component to a powerful breaststroke kick.

And I have another silly question: I remember something about squeezing the glutes during some part of the breaststroke, but I forgot which part. Can someone tell me when to squeeze your glutes during breaststroke?

Thank you very much!

ande
February 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Some people are naturally more flexible than others
Stretching can improve a persons ability

Some people have better "foot" feel for the water than others

Breastroke training helps a whole lot
So does strength training

The biggest key to breastroke is
Technique
moving the right parts in the right way at the right time

I think you want to squeeze your glutes as you're completing a kick.

I was talking with David Guthrie who holds many masters breastroke records, he told me to keep my knees close together as I draw them up and press them back.
Ankles should come close to your butt.
He said the press back is just like you are standing up

Common sense tells you you'll get more from each kick if your body is as streamlined as it can be as and after you fire your feet back. Some swimmers sabotage their breastroke by starting their arm pull too soon verses getting a little more glide

Ande

Originally posted by Draconis
Hokay, so, today I was surfing the internet and I came across an article describing Kitajima's secret weapon: the ankle snap.

I think this is what it is, and please correct me if I'm wrong: It is the process of turning ones feet from when the soles face outwards, to when the soles face each other inwards in one quick swift movement. Is that right?

So, hwo does one do that? Do you have to be born with extreme ankle flexion to it, or can you force-flex your ankles for a long time (say, everyday for 5 minutes for a year) and then your ankles will be flexible enough? If so, what can I do to achieve this ankle snap, because it really sounds cool and powerful and is a key component to a powerful breaststroke kick.

And I have another silly question: I remember something about squeezing the glutes during some part of the breaststroke, but I forgot which part. Can someone tell me when to squeeze your glutes during breaststroke?

Thank you very much!