PDA

View Full Version : Training for a meet with no water

Seagurl51
February 12th, 2006, 11:14 AM
There's a meet on March 11 that I REALLY want to go to on Bainbridge Island, WA. The problem is, that's about 4 weeks away and I cant' swim for about 2 or 3 because I just got a tattoo (:D). Is it possible to train on land for those 3 weeks I can't swim, swim the week before the meet and still do ok at the meet and not feel like I"ve been out of the water for a month? Or is it a better idea to just wait for the next one? Thanx!!

knelson
February 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM
You really can't swim for that long due to a tattoo? I got one in college during swimmming season, so I know I didn't stay out of the water for even a day. Maybe I got lucky.

I guess my answer to your question would be no. Being out of the water will seriously affect you. You can try to replace it with some other type of training, but it won't be the same. Sorry, but that's my opinion!

thewookiee
February 13th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I agree with Kirk for the most part. You can't truly replace the water time.
However, there are somethings you can do to help keep you fit, so that when you do get back in the water, you won't have done nothing for several weeks.
1) Do a good amount of running or spinning classes. Do some runs at a strong aerobic pace, then do some at all out sprints. This does keep your lungs and your legs strong. When I was out of the water for shoulder surgery, I did a lot of running. This helped keep me fit, improved my leg conditioning and even helped me once I got back into swimming.
My master's coach does a lot of spinning, esp. when he is out of the water. He stays really fit.
2) If you have surgical tubing, use them. They can help you work on catch for free and fly pretty easliy. Start off with a little tenison to get used to using them, then increase it as you getter better.
Again, nothing can really replace being in the water but these are suggestions.
Plus, when I got my tattoo, I stayed out for one week before I got back in the water. I just put extra lotion they gave me on the tattoo after each swim and had no problems.

geochuck
February 13th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Forget the hard impact exercises eg jogging get to the gym and get the pro there to help, cycling, rowing, pushups, sit ups, and all the other equipment, he she will be able to plan a circuit of excercises that will keep you in shape. The person at our local gym will wotk out a plan for $35 dollars. I send out my packge for $100.

James
February 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Seagurl51
There's a meet on March 11 that I REALLY want to go to on Bainbridge Island, WA. The problem is, that's about 4 weeks away and I cant' swim for about 2 or 3 because I just got a tattoo (:D). Is it possible to train on land for those 3 weeks I can't swim, swim the week before the meet and still do ok at the meet and not feel like I"ve been out of the water for a month? Or is it a better idea to just wait for the next one? Thanx!!

What kind of tattoo is it? I'm getting an armband that matches one I got 4 years ago. When I got my first one, I was told that I could not swim in chlorine water for 10 WEEKS!!! personally, I think its a little long.

Seagurl51
February 13th, 2006, 10:39 AM
My tattoo is of the symbol for Namaste.

So it should be ok after one week then? The guy who did it told me 1 and a half weeks, but the paper he gave me said 3 to 4, so I was gonna stay out like 2. But I guess if it doesn't really effect it that much, then I'll get back in the water next week. He said the reason was that it would fade the color. Did you guys notice any fading in yours after a week? The chlorine shouldn't infect it right, it kills everything else?

3 weeks of training is definately more doable than 1. I'll do some good dry land this week and then start in next week with the water.

PoulsboH20
February 13th, 2006, 10:48 AM
It's pretty much a sprint meet. Those guys don't really train anyway ;)

newmastersswimmer
February 13th, 2006, 11:10 AM

originally posted by Kyra

I didn't realize you were so spiritual Kyra!.....One with the Cosmos eh? Why don't you post a picture of your new tattoo over in the photo section of the NSR site?.....That is of course if it is in an "appropriate location" and all.

James
February 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Seagurl51

Did you guys notice any fading in yours after a week? The chlorine shouldn't infect it right, it kills everything else?

Tattoos will fade ovrertime. They will fade some when the skin heals but follow the instructions that the tattoo artist gave you. They are the pros and know what they are talking about. BTW, what is Namaste? Not very cultured here in the sticks.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 13th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I find this fad of tattooing odd. When I see people with tattos, I realize that it is their decision to make, but I really question their decision making. Have you ever seen some one intheir 60s who had a tattoo applied when they were young? It can be very gross.

Seagurl51
February 13th, 2006, 11:37 AM
The yoga position Namaste (both hands palm together in front of your heart) is meant to channel the Divine spirit (not necessarily God or Buddha etc.) into your heart chakra and offer you enlightenment. The symbol represents the Divine spirit within each person. I've also seen it as the symbol for Om, but I'm not as sure what Om is all about. But it's close, Om (the sound) is generally used just to relax your mind and ease meditation. But don't quote on this...you can always google too. I found a lot of good stuff on google.

Jim, I don't have any pictures now, but when I get one I'll post it.

knelson
February 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM
The whole "don't swim for two weeks" thing seemed kind of bogus to me so I did a web search. Sure enough that kind of advice is all over the internet, however I thouhg this one made the most sense:

Subject: GENERAL ADVICE FROM A MEDICAL DOCTOR

The contributor for this question is Dr. Kai Kristensen
<tattoodoc@jps.net>, a pathologist recently retired lab director (after
almost 30 years) of an internationally reknown medical center in La
Jolla, California. While his professional expertise is not specifically
in bodyart, Kai is a bodyart enthusiast:

After the session, the best treatment is simply that which one would
give a bad sunburn. For the first few hours (or overnight) leave on the
protective dressing supplied. After removing that dressing, clean gently
with soap and water and apply a thin film of antibiotic ointment
(Bacitracin or any of the triple antibiotic ointments available over the
counter). That can be repeated during the day for comfort and sticky
clothing. The process is repeated the second and third days. After that,
keeing the area clean on a daily basis and (if you wish) lightly
lubricated with some vaseline to minimize crusting also helps minimize
the itch. Plastic surgeons keep wounds clean and moist for least scar
formation. Do not go swimming for the first day or two after tattooing.

COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS WITH NO BASIS IN REALITY:

1. "Vaseline makes a tattoo faded". The ink is underneath the epidermis
and the outer layer of dermis. There's NO WAY that vaseline can get
down through the epidermis to draw out any of the ink.

2. "Swimming makes a tattoo faded". For the same reason as the above,
pool chlorine does not get to the ink to fade it. Common sense
precautions include not swimming in a public pool with a raw sore,
such as a new tattoo while oozing or completely raw. After the first
2 days, the surface over the tattoo is impervious and (from personal
experience as well as science background) it is OK to swim.

From http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/bodyart/tattoo-faq/part6.html

Seagurl51
February 13th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
I find this fad of tattooing odd. When I see people with tattos, I realize that it is their decision to make, but I really question their decision making. Have you ever seen some one intheir 60s who had a tattoo applied when they were young? It can be very gross.

I thought long and hard about what I wanted and where. I've wanted this tattoo for almost 3 years so I figured it was safe to go ahead and finally get it. And it's easily covered up, so I won't have to scar people when I get old.

Seagurl51
February 13th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Alright now I'm confused. I was told to keep my tattoo dry and clean and not put anything on it, like vaseline or lotion. He didn't even cover it when I first got it, just told me to keep it dry and clean. It's healing fine though, it's starting to scab over and everything.

But, basically, according to that article I should be able to swim, if not now, definately within a week right?:confused:

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 13th, 2006, 11:55 AM
The idea of treating it like a bad sunburn is wild. When my sister Randi went on Spring Break her freshman year, she got a really bad sunbrun in Florida. It was so bad that it required my Dad to go get her at the hospital in florida. (This wasn't as big a deal to my father who had rescued other of my sblings inthe past) It freaked me out. Her skin boiled up and she was very red for a long time. Lots of skin damage. also, it meant that the next year I wasn't allowed ot go on spring Break.

aquageek
February 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I have wanted a tat for years but have put it off for two reasons. First, I'm a big chicken. Second, I have always heard to stay out of the pool for this two weeks. Well, that's one excuse out the window.

knelson
February 13th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
I have wanted a tat for years but have put it off for two reasons. First, I'm a big chicken. Second, I have always heard to stay out of the pool for this two weeks. Well, that's one excuse out the window.

Do it!

I'm assuming it's going to be of a pigeon, right? :)

JimCanSwim
February 13th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a tattoo. It's just when you swim, you have to plan it a little more.

I plan on getting one in the fall after the open water season is over and I can take a week of rest off.

How much skin recovery time is needed for a tattoo can vary alot. Kyra, did you have any tattoos before? Or is this the first? If you had previous ones, you could gage recovery time on how long they took. (If you had any).

aquageek
February 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by knelson
Do it!

I'm assuming it's going to be of a pigeon, right? :)

There's a bad idea, get a tattoo of gull's pigeon so he has extra motivation to squash me like a bug at meets.

geochuck
February 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I get my tatoos in Mexico they stick em on (transfers) and gone very slowly. No Pain you just have to wait an hour or two and you can swim to your hearts content and drink cerveisa even while they are doing them.

I would rather have a knee replcement than a tatoo.

JimCanSwim
February 13th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by newmastersswimmer
Why don't you post a picture of your new tattoo over in the photo section of the NSR site?.....That is of course if it is in an "appropriate location" and all.
What is the NSR site? And where is the photo section?

Seagurl51
February 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM
This is my first tattoo so I have nothing to go off of. Sounds like I should be good to get back into the water after a week though...and I don't think I'd be really upset if it faded..it's really dark, so I'm to worried about it fading away.

The NSR site is "Not Swimming Related." But it's been dead lately.

newmastersswimmer
February 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
The NSR site is "Not Swimming Related." But it's been dead lately.

Yeah and I killed it when I left pictures of my Christmas Mexico trip to the town of Tequila there.....Everyone got so jealous they stopped coming....right Kyra?!!.....It use to be a lot of fun at that site b/c ....well lets just say that we have a little more freedom of expression over there.....It started with Keather, Kyra and Co. ...and they use to pose interesing topics/scenerios over there to discuss (often with a slight riskay twist perhaps)....nothing to crude though.....I have been the only recent loyal visitor at the site and could use a little company over there from time to tome since all the other regulars seem to have taken an extended vacation from the site lately.....the web address is below....you have to register with the site as a member when you first visit the site:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/USMSNSR/messages

newmastersswimmer

Seagurl51
February 13th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I check it everyday Jim!! But since nobody posts anything and I'm fresh out of ideas...I don't post. And weren't you gonna send me some tequila?:D

scyfreestyler
February 13th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Somehow I missed that NSR site. I have submitted my application.

James
February 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM
My wife just got a new tattoo 3 weeks ago. Its a Celtic tree of life with our 2 sons baby footprints on each side with there names in Gaelic over the top. Its about 12 inches squaired on her lower back. She will finish it with a fairy overlooking it. Its amaising what tattoo artists can do today. Can't wait to see your tattoo Seagurl.

newmastersswimmer
February 13th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I check it everyday Jim!! But since nobody posts anything and I'm fresh out of ideas...I don't post. And weren't you gonna send me some tequila?

Sure I'll send you some tequila....or better yet I'll bring some to Worlds to share with you in person.....How does that song go again....Somethin like: Tequila makes something or another come off??...Can't remember the exact words there.

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. Nice to have you onbard at the NSR site 330 man.....I guess I better get back to swimming related topics before I get reprimanded......Yaeh....Tattoos and swimming......why not?!

Seagurl51
February 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Jim are you still going to Worlds? I'm sooo excited!! Sucks that it's not til August.

newmastersswimmer
February 13th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Jim are you still going to Worlds? I'm sooo excited!! Sucks that it's not til August.

originally posted by Seagurl

Truthfully, There's a good chance I may not make it to worlds unfortunately....so I guess that last post was just wishful thinking on my part (must have been the tequila talking!)...It would be really nice to go though like we had all planned ......sorry!.....There's still a chance I might make it though....but right now I'm having some financial troubles that could potentially become serious....its kinda scarey in fact....we'll see how it goes.

Newmastersswimmer