PDA

View Full Version : Meets in Summer

MichiganHusker
February 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Are there any meets (non-open water type) in Michigan during the summer months?

waves101
February 20th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Susan - I'm sure someone will respond with a better answer but, yes, there are a couple of master's meets in the Summer. I know of one in Lansing usually in June. Not sure of the others. Sometimes people will register and swim in some of the USS meets with the kids, too.

Frank Thompson
February 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Hi Susan:

We will have two Long Course meets this summer. The one that Jeff Bailey was talking about is at MSU in East Lansing. That meet is usually the last Sunday in June. I have been running a meet for over 20 years at Dunworth Pool in Leavgood Park in Dearborn, Michigan. That meet is usually the third weekend in July. That meet was rained out last year for the first time, since 1978. I try if I can to schedule around other meets in the Great Lakes Zone.

Our Michigan LMSC as well as all other LMSC's in the Great Lakes Zone do not have as many Long Course meets as Short Course meets because of mainly 4 things. 1. Attendence is usually significantly lower than Short Course season meets. 2. Pool Availability. 3. Long Course Meets are in competition for other events like Open Water swims and Triathlons that don't happen in the Fall/Winter months. 4. Shorter summer season with the weather makes meet scheduling harder with Park, Club, and School Pool facilities.

This year because of the World Championships at Stanford in August, there will probably be more swimmers swimming in the Long Course season than in prior years. I can make some recommendations of out of State Meets I have attended that you can drive to over a weekend.

The Firecracker meet over the 4th of July weekend in Indianapolis would be a meet I would recommend. Also there is one at the University of Akron in mid July. In August, in Louisville Ky, the Lakeside Club hosts an excellent 2 day meet also.

Check the LMSC websites in the May and I am sure you will see these and other meet schedules for you to choose a meet.