PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Swim - Thanks!

fitaries2
February 22nd, 2006, 12:21 AM
Just a quick thanks to all of those who gave me good info on how to feed and hydrate during my long swim. Unfortunately I got so carried away "in the zone" that I know I didn't take in 10% of what I should have, but I tried.

In the end, I swam for 12 hours with a 5-minute "potty break" at the top of each hour. 1340 laps total (and yes, that's 1339 flip turns - imagine my abs the next day!). About 19 miles overall.

During that time I drank 4 12 oz. bottles of water - almost entirely in the first four hours - and one 32 oz. gatorade and a diet coke. 2 powerbar-type bars and half a piece of banana nut bread. Oh, and the true breakfast of champions, 4 tiny powdered-sugar donettes. :-)

I came out, obviously, looking like a prune and by all reports a little delirious, with bruises where my goggles were, a rash on my neck, and excruciating pain the next day in my left shoulder. Other than that, though, all was well. My pacing was spectacular. 3200 yards the first hour, 3000 yards the last hour, never less than 2500 yards in any hour.

The good news? I raised a ton of money for the YMCA. The bad news? It'll be a while before I get back in the pool. Even the thought of getting in a bathtub nauseates me. But, give me a week or two and I'll be back in the swim.

Thanks again for all your ideas, well wishes, and donations. I really appreciate it!

MichiganHusker
February 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Congratulations - that is a wonderful accomplishment!

globuggie
February 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations! I would never be able to do that.