PDA

View Full Version : Josh Davis, Beijing

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Did anyone see Josh Davis on CNN Headline News last night? He was talking about sex before a big meet, and also, about making the team for the Beijing . How likely is it that he could make the team considering how old he will be? He ws born in 1972.

One point I thought was really interesting was how he spoke about sex as a gift from God. On his website, there is a button to hire him for faith-based lecture.

knelson
February 22nd, 2006, 10:49 AM
From his website:
"In 1996 Josh Davis made history by becoming the only man in any sport from any nation at the Atlanta Olympic Games to win 3 gold medals. With a passion for representing our country, Josh returned to the Olympics in Sidney in 2000 where he was elected Captain of the USA Men's swim Team. He went on to break the American record three times in his event the 200 meter free-style and won two silver medals at the 2000 Sidney Games. After 2 Olympics and 5 medals, Josh has established himself as ambassador for the sport of swimming and is pioneering the road for the next generation of professional swimmers."

Whoever is responsible for his website really should learn how to spell Sydney :)

I wouldn't count him out for Beijing, but it certainly won't be easy. He does have the advantage of competing in events where more swimmers make the team due to relays, so that will help him.

Sam Perry
February 22nd, 2006, 11:12 AM
IMHO, I think Josh is one of the greatest people in our sport. He is not shy about his beliefs and where he stands. If it offends some, that is unfortunate for them, but he is truly an inspirational person. I for one would love to see him make the team in 2008. Odds are against him, but look at how many swimmers can do so much even as they age. It will be interesting to watch. I was at 2004 trials and saw him miss finals in the 200. I know that will inspire him to train that much more to make it in 2008.

knelson
February 22nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
While religion isn't my cup of tea, it is pretty obvious faith is very motivating for Josh. It's difficult to be offended by something like that!

thewookiee
February 22nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Josh Davis is truly one of the most inspirational swimmers to watch. He is a great role model for anyone.

Let's hope he makes the team.

Frank Thompson
February 22nd, 2006, 01:37 PM
I have to agree with what everyone is saying here about Josh. I remember reading something that Eddie Resse said about Josh about 8 to 10 years ago. He said Josh is such a nice guy that he would be a swimmer you would coach for free. You deserve to get paid good money for other great swimmers, but you coach Josh for free because of the examples he sets as a human being.

One of things I find interesting in his comeback besides what everyone else has said here, is how he and is wife are juggling Josh's training, endorsement oppuntunties, and speaking engagements with a family of five young kids. I believe his oldest is about 8. As a professional swimmer or for anybody in todays world that is a lot of responsibility.

So not only does he have odds against him against younger world class swimmers, but he has to find a balance for family time and that can create a lot of pressure on him in the next 2 years. I admire him for trying this while raising a young family.

By the way, Josh is one of the TV color commentators for swimming at the FOX Sports network. He did the World University Games this past summer in Turkey and was excellent. Perhaps he will be working the SEC meet that will be on TV soon.

Matt S
February 22nd, 2006, 02:51 PM
Good luck and God speed to him. I think the odds are stacked against him, with Michael Phelps in the mix and a lot of other really good American freestylers. However, even if he does not make the team, it would still be a magnificent "failure."
Matt

mikeh
February 24th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Josh Davis is a great gentleman, and in my opinion he is a man anyone could admire. A strong Christian too, unafraid to speak of forgiveness found in Christ. I've heard him speak before and he does a great job.

His 2000 Olympic final in the 200 meters was nothing short of remarkable. He went from a 1:48 PB to a 1:47 at Trials to a 1:46 at the Olympics. I think that time would have won in 1996. In 2000 it was good enough for fourth. I hope he is proud of himself, because comparatively speaking it might have been the best swim in the field.

I'm glad to hear that he's making a comeback for Beijing. Why not? In 2004 he trained by himself a lot, which is often not optimal for a top level sprint/distance swimmer who is required to swim many miles per day. Maybe he'll get back to training with Eddie Reese at UT. Seeing him train was an awesome sight. He would lay waste to the entire UT team, as if they all weren't incredible swimmers in their own right.

craiglll@yahoo.com
February 25th, 2006, 01:13 PM
When I satarted this thread, I tried to find the old thread about having sex before an important meet. In the interview, Josh memntioned htat the reason he didn't make the 04 Olympics was because his wife was with him and they had had sex before the night before. I'm sorry I didn't mention that in my first post.

After his interview, the commentator spoke with two doctors who said that it realyshouldn't have made a difference.

knelson
February 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
When I satarted this thread, I tried to find the old thread about having sex before an important meet. In the interview, Josh memntioned htat the reason he didn't make the 04 Olympics was because his wife was with him and they had had sex before the night before.

Yeah, this seems pretty absurd to me. It reminds me of the general in Dr. Strangelove who was worried the Commies were trying to taint our "precious bodily fluids"

geochuck
February 25th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Can't wait to get there and swim in the pool. Which style swimming suit shall I wear some nice ones here http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/10662.html

eatsleepswim
February 26th, 2006, 03:19 AM
About 9 years ago, I worked at a swim camp with Josh Davis. His wife was there and pregnant with their first child. I can't believe that someone said they have 5 children now! Wow! Both Josh and his wife are amazing people. I was so impressed by what a grounded, kind, and positive person he was (and I'm sure he still is). I have a lot of fun memories of hanging out with him at that camp (and some funny photos...I'll have to see if I can dig them up). I got to work out with Josh in the mornings before the kids got in the pool and it was amazing to see him gliding along in the lane next to me...he made it look so effortless!

I'd love to see him in a 4th olympic games!

Jwizzle
February 26th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Josh davis is a great guy

Im always swimming at the pool that was built and named after him in san antinio for meets

Hes usally around hangin out and i would love to see him in 08 for another games.

I wish him the best of luck

Frank Thompson
February 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/DesktopModules/BioView.aspx?TabId=388&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=597&BioID=59

More about the Josh Davis.

Suit Chaser
February 27th, 2006, 01:37 PM
An old friend saw him throwing a tantrum in the first class cabin of an airplane jet a few years back. Apparently, he seemed unaware that anyone in the cabin knew who he was. It sure made my friend wonder...

He could probably make it to Beijing in the 800 free relay.

Sam Perry
February 27th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Suit Chaser
An old friend saw him throwing a tantrum in the first class cabin of an airplane jet a few years back. Apparently, he seemed unaware that anyone in the cabin knew who he was. It sure made my friend wonder...

What is this supposed to mean? Do you have any idea how and why the event occured? To throw something out like that is a bit strong to say the least. Unless you have met the person, spent some time with him, etc. then please don't throw out "My friend said this about him...makes you wonder" story. He is a great guy, and I have never heard one person say anything to the contrary.

ande
February 27th, 2006, 05:55 PM
the tantrum seems very out of character for him

he has a shot at 2008 but he must train consistently hard and get fast again. i think it's gonna take
1:47.?? to make the relay and a
1:45.?? to make top 2.

Ande

Originally posted by Suit Chaser

TheGoodSmith
February 27th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Josh has 5 kids ? !

Does he know what causes them to appear?

John Smith

SwiminONandON
February 28th, 2006, 12:43 AM
That's going to be a tough relay to make. Not saying he can't do it, but still .... Lochte, Phelps, Vanderkaay, Keller ... that leaves two more spots and I wouldn't be surprised if Crocker goes for that again (I hope he will at least that dude can bust out a darn fast 200) and one more spot ...