PDA

View Full Version : Beach to Beach Power Swim, Virgin Islands

jadams
March 14th, 2006, 04:29 PM
On May 28, 2006 the third annual Beach to Beach Power Swim to benefit Virgin Islands National Park will take place. http://www.friendsvinp.org/swim/
It is held by the Friends of the Virgin Islands National Park. The Friends have asked me to pass along this information to USMS.

Swimmers can choose to swim from Maho Bay to Cinnamon Bay (approx. 1 mile), from Maho to Trunk (approx. 2 1/4 mi.), or from Maho to Hawksnest (approx. 3 1/2 mi.). Swimmers can choose to enter either assisted (with fins and snorkels) or unassisted; relays are also an option. It isn't a masters sanctioned event and doesn't have the same age groupings, but looks like a fun and very challenging swim in any case.

Their web site has all the info plus results from past years, a course map with water-level photos taken along the route, and lodging information.

These are some of the most beautiful waters and beaches in the world. You distance swimmers, consider entering this one (as long as you promise not to beat me!). My training blog: http://stjohnswim.blogspot.com/

watergrrl
March 27th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Julie -
I'd heard of that race before. Sounds fun. have you done it before? Which race are you going to do? and.. what's your age group so I can check out the competition? :)

I just checked out your blog -i see you're doing the 3.5 mile. good luck!

jadams
March 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks! They have fewer divisions, so I fall in the extreme upper end of the 35 - 49 grouping. Other groups are under 16, 17 - 34, and 50 +. Just kidding about don't beat me, of course! The more the merrier. The National Park there will benefit from our entry fees, and that is the main thing. It is fun training for it- I've been following the plan in Penny Dean's Open Water Swimming book.

watergrrl
March 31st, 2006, 10:20 AM
oh, phew, I was reading your blog and had some serious concerns. You're doing real training! :) I'm not in your age group though, so we can help each other along! I plan on being there!

jadams
April 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I'll ask everyone there "are you watergrrl?" Should be a nice event. The water there is beautiful.
Julie

watergrrl
April 21st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Julie - I actually live in the neighborhood so I know how great the water is! I found out there is a training swim this weekend - from Maho to Cinnamon. I'm going to try to do it if I can swing it. If I do, I'll let you know if I find out any tips or tricks.