PDA

View Full Version : Ear Infection

Rangamal
September 9th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Hello All,

What is the cause for ear-infection for swimmers? What we can do for it?. some times I use an ear-drops called "BETNOSOL N".Is there anyway to recover completely?

Rangamal.

jean sterling
September 9th, 2002, 02:06 PM
It's a fungla infection. Many years ago a doctor told me to use a mixture of alcohol and vinegar as a preventative. The alcohol is supposed to dry out the ear canal, and the vinegar is for proper ph.

MPohlmann
September 9th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Outer ear infection, sometimes called "swimmer's ear", may be prevented by using agents to dry the ears; however, once an outer ear infection is present, usually prescription antifungal/antibiotic/corticosteroid ear drops are needed to cure it. If it hurts to move your outer ear, ear lobe, etc., it's time to see a doctor.

Mary Pohlmann, M.D., Ph.D.

Fisch
September 9th, 2002, 10:36 PM
How good is this website when you can get advice
from a MD/PhD?

Fisch
September 9th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Thanks Mary.

DrHelpU
February 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hi, I found this site with some info about ear infection

http://bestmorph.com/cgi-bin/show/tags/136-ear_infection, it has many links to the reliable sources merk fda ...

Warren
February 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Last summer I had an ear infection in both ears and swimmers ear in both ears. It was horrible.

scyfreestyler
February 16th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I think alcohol drops post swim are cheap insurance against these problems.

dorianblade
February 16th, 2007, 02:54 PM
444 views and only 7 replies... whoa.

I had that couple months ago. Just horrible. Got prescription ear drops and few (painful) days later i was back at the pool swimming my limbs off!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/swimmers-ear/DS00473

aztimm
February 16th, 2007, 04:37 PM
For a while it seemed I got an ear infection every year in the spring, not exactly sure why.

I've tried all the preventative things doctors suggest, drops, etc....but the very best thing is simply blowing the hair dryer into both ears. Some people who see me doing it may think I'm strange, but oh well. Its been a few years since I've had one now.

USMSarah
February 16th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I think alcohol drops post swim are cheap insurance against these problems.

This has never failed me - and I'm prone to ear infections!!!!

Warren
February 16th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I get swimmers ear at least once a year. I use the drops but sometimes thats not enough i guess.

quicksilver
February 16th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Pour some tequila in your ear.

If that doesn't work...try the mouth.

fanstone
February 16th, 2007, 07:42 PM
It gets worse. It gets tricky. Sometimes it ain't exactly an "ear" thing, goes further. I am guilty of self-treatment. I got a bilateral ear ache after swimming a meet. This was on a Saturday. Didn't want to bother the real doctor so I went and did my own treatment. Poured all sorts of stuff into ears, including alcohol, peroxide, OVC wax removers and other stuff. Almost went into prescription strengh pain medication. What a mess my pillows and bed were! On Monday I did the right thing and went to the ear doctor. She stuck the thingie into my ear and told me there was nothing wrong with the outer ear. My problem was an infection and inflammation of the inner ear. She prescribed some antibiotics, cortisone, and some nose drops. She also told me to stop doing what I was doing, which was trying to get my inner ear pressures fixed (like when diving deep). Took me about a week to get back to normal. The 600 mgs of Ibuprofen helped. In high school we always used the alcohol into ear method. Worked okay, to clean up and get rid of the water. I sometimes use ear plugs. I am getting some custom made ones from a phono guy next week. The sound of the swimp3 gets a lot better with tight ear plugs. Doctor, heal thyself. billy fanstone (also an M.D. but far removed from general practice, just a very specific anesthetist)

nkfrench
February 17th, 2007, 12:52 AM
I get more ear infections when I swim in the morning. In the evenings it is only a short while until I go to bed and get some postural drainage of any residual trapped water. During a good workout my ears, nose, etc swell up a bit so there's often water trapped until the congestion eases up.

Last year I had minor athlete's foot that got a bad secondary infection. One of the bacteria they found in the cultures was one that causes swimmer's ear (pseudomonas aeruginosa). Hope you enjoy the irony as much as I did. The doc did not treat the "swimmer's ear" between my toes and just went after the drug-resistant staph that was making me sick.

Loophole
February 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
For the outer ear I use a 50/50 mixture of alcohol/vinegar. Works GREAT!

One thing to NOT do is use Q-tips to dry your ears. I did this for years, use a Q-tip, then the drops. Didn't get swimmer's ear but kept getting ear infections. After the zillionth ear infection my Dr. asked a bunch of questions about what I did with my ears, etc. When I got to the part about using Q-tips - "Ahhh Ha that's your problem. You're stripping all the protective ear wax off the ear drum and pool water is seeping behind the membrane and becoming infected....just use the drops."

That was two years ago and I haven't had an ear infection since.

islandsox
February 17th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Alcohol in the ears right after swimming and if you are lady drying your hair, shoot that dryer so it blows warm air in the ears while you are at it. Keep alcohol in your swim bag; it is a magnificent ear-infection preventative.

Donna

runner girl
February 17th, 2007, 07:19 PM
"One thing to NOT do is use Q-tips to dry your ears. "

Not using the Q-tips is probably the most important thing I learned. I don't usually both with ear drops, I just pour a little 99% rubbing alcohol into the bottle lid and dump it in my ear. It's cheap and very effective. When I started back to swimming I had to slap my hand a few times when I reached for the Q-tips.