PDA

View Full Version : open water distance swimming

Darth Vader
April 3rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Hi
I recieved this question on The Race Club's website...
BUT I am not a good person for this question so i was wondering if someone here could help me out with this question

"I'm training for several open water swims, 2.4mile santa cruz, maui channel solo and possible someting colder like lake tahoe solo. My questions are related to training 1) I started training about 3 months ago and am swimming about 12 hrs per week. The bult so far has been distance and aerobic, perhaps 70 percent effort. I have been doing some spped work, but mostly towards the end of swim (10x100 on 1:40) that sort of thing. Just not really sure how I get to the ability to swim say for 2 or 4 hours or more at race pace and how to judge what that pace should be? many other questions but I'll start with this...many thanks in advance"

http://www.theraceclub.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=304

thank you for your time

geochuck
April 4th, 2006, 03:39 PM
When I trained for a distance race of any distance I used strokes per minute to set my pace, very long races 56 strokes a minute with ocassional bursts of speed up to 75 strokes a minute then back to 56. For shorter races 64 strokes a minute with speed bursts, would give me a speed of 2hr for 5 miles miles. It is very hard to say how fast to do 100s in open water it is better to do half mile or 1/4 mile laps to time your distance paces as current changes daily re. currents. I used to pace myself also by the speed of the swimmers I was racing I would sometimes swim in the leader pack or even the second pack if I thought the lead pack would be out of contention for the prize money. It really comes down to experience.

Darth Vader
April 6th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Thank You...