PDA

View Full Version : Removing salt from goggles

watergrrl
May 7th, 2006, 09:36 PM
I haven't been very good about rinsing the salt water off my goggles after my swims and now my goggles seem to have a build-up of salt on them. Any suggestions on helping to de-salt them now or is it time to give up? So far I've only tried soaking them in warm water for a few hours. They are prescription goggles so I'm not sure if something strong may ruin the RX. I'm about to order new ones anyways but would like these as a backup.

Dobbie
May 7th, 2006, 11:46 PM
It doesn't sound like just a build up of salt.

Any salt from the sea would dissolve in fresh water in a few seconds.
If you're talking about the surface going misty then it's from the salt and sun drying out the actual lens/plastic...assuming they're a plastic version.
I don't use prescription lenses but I have noticed they do seem to wear simliar to any plastic goggle.Go cloudy.
My advice is wash after every use....chlorine as well and then spray an anti-fog on the lenses before placing in a cover.
Never rub the lens.Wash in warm mild soapy water once a week to remove grease and then spray before putting them away again.Arena anti-fog is better than Speedo(this never seems to work well for me).The anti-fog works better this way than applying just before use.
Check with the makers though....remember never rub them unless its with soapy water. Always rince excess sand/salt off before using the soapy water....stops the scratching which can happen when you clean them.
Wash the case to remove sand every so often.

A.K.
May 8th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I know when there is encrusting salt on Marine Tank glass that has become steadfast a dip in an acidic solution will dissolve the dried salt.

A household product should do the trick- distilled white vinegar.
If these goggles are an extra pair, try it. Let me know how it works.