PDA

View Full Version : Hosting a Masters Swim Meet

bbpolhill
May 31st, 2006, 03:56 PM
I am looking for guidance on hosting a Masters Swim Meet. I'm confident that our facility is capable of hosting a Masters meet since the resident USA Swimming age group team has run a number of meets at the facility.

What I am hoping is that there is some type of standardized information that will help us set up our first Masters meet at our home pool.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

NKMD
May 31st, 2006, 06:54 PM
Congratulations in taking the first step.

Best thing is to contact your LMSC's sanction's person.
Secure a date, decide on the order of events, determine how many volunteers you will need, timing system, your pool will need to be measured (this is required for the times to be official)

This is the link for a sanction form and information: your LMSC has a person who issues the sanctions for the meets. This person might have your LMSC form to use.
http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/lmsc_hb_sanctions.pdf

Here are links to help you out:
This link is for meet director's:
http://www.usms.org/rules/appb.pdf

We have a meet director's checklist and you may use it:
http://ilmsa.com/files/sanction_forms/common/MeetDirectorsCheckList.pdf
Here is the link for other forms that you may need for your meet-pool measurement, records
http://ilmsa.com/competition/sanctions

Good Luck, and thank you for hosting a meet.
Nadine

bbpolhill
May 31st, 2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks, Nadine.

I will work with our USA Swimming Team Head Administrator, our LMSC coordinator and coach to get the ball rolling!

helen
September 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Hello,

Thank you for all the useful links for hosting a meet. My one other question is do you know if the pool can have "other activities" going on that are unrelated to the meet at the same time? (swim lessons at one end of the pool, lap swimming for non USMS folks).

thank you for any information you can provide. i can't seem to find this info in the rule book.

peace
me

David E. Morrill
September 26th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Hello to all... why not a "little" meet...?

A one day all around meet for up to 100 swimmers from your area? I participated -a few months ago- at a "little" meet at the ISHOF on occasion of Gold Masters -uh I don't know, some special yearly date- and it had maybe 70 participants and it was super, relaxed, easy going... GREAT testing ground for you.

The nicest was the ending ceremony, which re-named the yearly meet to honor June Krauser... oh, and on a personal level, and anecdotal, that I had an empty lane next to me and was surprised to see a fellow -good looking blonde guy- step up to that block, I thought "... oh some last minute straggler, probably doesn't know the stroke very well..." anyway, up-o on the blocks and he turns around and introduces himself to me, and I retorted -jokingly of course- "... with a name like that I'm sure you'll do well !..."

Anyway, off the blocks and this fellow took off like a flying-fish..!!

At the other end he was waiting for us all... and I took my goggles off and said, "... gee it IS nice to meet you, Gary Hall..!!"

These are a few of the very nice moments that you can share in a "little" meet, besides realizing that a "bigger" meet is just a 'bit more' laborious but fun too!!

Swimming is so much fun!

Rob Copeland
September 26th, 2006, 02:40 PM
if the pool can have "other activities" going on that are unrelated to the meet at the same time? (swim lessons at one end of the pool, lap swimming for non USMS folks).Yes, however you will need to work with your local sanction chair to make sure that the other activities donít encroach on the meet and the meet doesnít encroach on the other activities. For example the meet warm down lanes canít also be lap swim lanes and if they are tossing beach balls around in the lessons these need to stay out of the competition pool. A sanctioned meet does not require exclusivity of an entire aquatic facility.

helen
September 27th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Hi Rob,

Thanks so much for your reply. i'm working with our facility administrator to see if we can move the other activities to later in the day, and that way we won't have to worry about interference (for either the meet or the lessons/lap swimmers), but if not, i will work with our sanction chair on how best to procede.

thanks again
peace
me

W4CHL
June 1st, 2007, 07:01 AM
The ILMSA checklist is a nice compilation of things to do as a meet director in Illinois. Is there a USMS group that has documented experiences and perhaps even has a prototype of an online event registration process and suggested tools for others to follow? I understand that there is a cottage industry here, but seems that for small events the fees charged (I've been told as much as 25%) are high.

FINA's 2006 Worlds was built on a Content Managment System (CMS), Mambo. Are the templates used from that site available for FINA member organizations, including USMS? FINA 2008 also has an online registration capability setup now. And the 2007 Long Course registration on the USMS site is an example.

All of the USMS local events I've participated in have no online registration and still require that one copy their USMS membership cards and send it with a hard copy registration form to the event registrar.

I'm betting that we, as USMS members, have the skill to develop a template on a CMS such as Mambo that be shared with local event organizers. Shared may be as in developed for a small fee or Open Source sharing.

Some on our team have complained that ALL the USAT events and many running only events that they participate in locally have online registration, none of the USMS events do. In NC the active.com and activezach.com sites often are used as online registration portals for running, triathlon, biking, but swimming only when USAT certified.

I know, another "spare time" activity that will get attention if and only if there is a core of other interested folk.

michaelmoore
June 3rd, 2007, 02:23 AM
FINA's 2006 Worlds was built on a Content Managment System (CMS), Mambo. Are the templates used from that site available for FINA member organizations, including USMS? FINA 2008 also has an online registration capability setup now. And the 2007 Long Course registration on the USMS site is an example.

All of the USMS local events I've participated in have no online registration and still require that one copy their USMS membership cards and send it with a hard copy registration form to the event registrar.

The 2006 FINA Masters web site was created by a volunteer using Mambo. The on-line meet registration was created by Jim Matysek, with assistance from a software house in Louisville.

An on-line meet registration is not a trivial matter, I know from personal experience that thousands of hours that are put in to get the program to work and to test it. Personally, I do not think that you will get the sustained volunteer effort to get it to work, which is why it is done professionally - and professionals have to be paid.

In Pacific there are a few meets were you can enter on-line. The vendors have copies of the LMSC roster, so your USMS ID number can be checked against the roster.

michael

Nan
July 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Don't be discouraged with the reply(s). USMS is working to move forward with internet registration and communication. I think it will be a hot topic at this year's convention. I've also gotten blasted with negativity a couple of times when suggesting these improvements. Don't give up. Keep suggesting! Nan