PDA

View Full Version : 2004 FINA Masters Championships

beireland
September 17th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Does anyone know when or precisely where the Masters World Championships will be in 2004? I understand that Italy won the bid, but I'm wondering when the meet will be held compared to the Indy and Georgia National meets that year. Thanks.

MPohlmann
September 17th, 2002, 09:49 PM
2004 FINA World Masters Championships will be in Riccione, Italy, but I have heard of no specific date. I asked June Krauser at Convention and she did not know of a date.

Riccione is a seaside resort on the Adriatic Sea. It is on the East Coast of Italy, SE of Bologne.

beireland
December 14th, 2002, 03:04 PM
I found the answer to my question at the FINA website: June 3 through 13, 2004.

kpipesneilsen
April 22nd, 2003, 06:07 PM
Hi Ken,

I copied the following information off of the Sun Devil Website. They are so informed!

June 3rd - 13th - 2004 FINA World Masters Swim Championships - Riccione, Italy

The city of Riccione is on the Adriatic Sea about 200 kilometers south of Venice. For information on the area, email their Tourist Bureau - Comune di Riccione at iat.riccione@iper.net For a look at the pool, go to www.polcomriccione.com. Click on chi siamo or piscina. Of course, everything is an Italian on this site. As we get closer to the meet, addition information will be posted on the FINA website.

FINA.org has this info as well.

I have been inquiring about the depth of the competition pool since it appears to be shallow in the picture (the water color is much lighter than the dive pool). Fast pool or not???? A long way to go to find out!

Take care!

Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen

Philipp
May 6th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for the link to the site. There are some free translation websites (babblefish, etc.) but there is a english language translation on the "piscina" page - click on the english flag. I've copied the english translation (below).

The translation does not say how deep the pool is or what kind of gutters they have. But, since they claim that the pool has been used for some high level competitions, I would guess that it is on an equal footing with other world class competition facilities.

The FINA Masters meets are very big meets - almost 4,000 swimmers in Munchen, Germany. This is because there are no qualifying times - and just about everybody and their uncle goes. For example, there were about 48 heats of the men's 200 fly! They started at 8 am sharp and usually finished by 10pm. So if you go, be prepared for a long meet. In Munchen, the warm-up pool was wall-to-wall with swimmers (30-50/lane), so it is almost impossible to get a decent warmup before your race. But I do have to compliment the Germans - they did a great job regulating and running the meet. I did not go to NZ, but heard it was a pretty well run meet. On the other hand, I have heard that some of the other FINA meets were very disorganized and took even longer to run.

Philipp Djang

Here is their translation:

The "Stadio del Nuoto", Ricciane is a completely modern sports complex thanks to its up to date services and equipment including three pools: one covered and two open air. All of this can be found in idyllic surroundings of a large park, just a few minutes from the sea and easily reached from both the motorway (A14 exit Riccione) and the airport at Miramare di Rimini (just 5 mins). In summer the swimming pool is open to the public seven days a week from 10.00 to 18.00 including holidays. The complex is made up of an ten lane Olympic-size swimming pool (50m x 25m) and a diving poal which measures 24m x 1 8m and is 5m. deep at all points. The diving pool has a diving tower with fixed diving boards at heights of 5m. and 10m. and approved springboards at heights of 1 m. and 3m.

These pools are surrounded by an area of park which is equipped for the welcome and comfort of the users of the pool. Sun beds and sunshades are available in the area around the pool. In the park, which surrounds the pool area, there are grass volleyball courts, shaded areas, stands with space for up to 2000 spectators, and a sandy area for beach volleyball displays. There is also a friendly and efficient bar for refreshments.

The "Stadio del Nuoto" is a sports complex that meets all the necessary requirements far the holding of nationai and intemational meetings. In the past the complex has been host to a number of extremely important events such as The European Masters Swimming Champianship, The World Military Championships of Swimming, Water Polo and Diving, Nazionali Assoluti FIN, Italian Diving Championship FIN. Lanes may be booked in the complex, from June to September, far the purpose af courses, training or graups, with the possibility of special prices for Italian or foreign clubs and associations.

Matt S
May 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Karlyn,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the info. Have you heard from June, or anyone else, what will be the process to set qualifying times? Maybe Philipp meant to say there are no "meaningful" qualifying times, or that they are not verified, but I can assure everyone that they did in fact have QT's, and no freebies for showing-up. In my age group, I made the cut in the 400 free, and nothing else. (And I had plans to go, too, until the Navy moved me one year earlier than scheduled.) So, I am interested in knowing what the QT's will be since I am on the bubble.

Matt

Paul Smith
May 6th, 2003, 02:06 PM
For anyone interested in looking for an "excursion" meet such as Italy, you may also want to check out the Australian Masters Games November 1-3 (swim events) at: www.amg2003.com in Canbeera.

I've wanted to visit Australia for many years, this may make a good vacation/swim meet trip.

Karlyn, I've got the same concerns about the facility in Italy and am trying to reach and old friend who might have swam there.

kpipesneilsen
May 6th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for working together on this. The more information we can gather from a variety of sources the better!

I have to admit that the thought of ~4,000 swimmers at this type of meet scares the heck outta me. While a "carnival" type atmosphere may be fun, it may not be the best place to swim fast times. I know that in Munich the organizational skills of the meet directors created a very efficient event. I am not so sure this will be the case in Italy...

I also am not a big fan of one event per day. I would rather swim two events per day. This allows for less time at the pool and more time to see the area.

Does anyone know what the policy will be in 2004?

I am excited about Tempe! I think Mark Gillis is going to provide us all with a memorable meet.

Take care,

Karlyn

Jim Rowland
May 6th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Hi Tall Paul,

I used to swim masters in Australia, and any swimming competition the Aussies put on will be top notch. As you're aware, they take swimming very seriously down under - it is considered a major sport there.

I was in my twenties when I lived there, I'm now in your age group, but I didn't swim for 15 years in between. After five kids (and about 40 pounds!) over those 15 years, I started back at it a few years back. You actually provided some encouragement to me at Santa Clara in 2001, in a very brief conversation just prior to one of our events.

If you want any tips about visiting Australia, find me with the Illinois Masters group in Tempe.

Jim

Paul Smith
May 7th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Jim,
Thanks for the offer, it's looking more and more like we may try to make this trip so I may take you up on your offer (I remember our meeting, I was a little freaked out at the time having just come off shoulder surgery!).

I actually did get some additonal info on this event froma friend in Melbourne that did the triathalon (it's an Olympic type of format with multiple sports, swimming is only 3 days of the whole thing). Apparently the pool is at the Australian Insitute of Sport where quite a few of their top swimmers train, and is very fast.

So Jim how you feeling for the 500 this year?

Walt Reid
May 13th, 2003, 12:45 AM
I have prepared a set of proposed time standards for the 2004 Championships per the direction of the FINA Masters Commission. They will be reviewed and perhaps revised at the
upcoming FINA Masters Meeting May 30, 31, June1 in Riccione. My instructions were to make them slightly more strict than Munich.

Both June Krauser and I will be attending this meeting. The Masters Committee will meet with the organizating committee and they will have an on-site visit of the venue.

We should have more info after the meeting.

Walt Reid
FINA Masters Recorder

Matt S
May 13th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Walt,

First, thanks for doing the hard, committee work that few of us action oriented swimmers like to do, but is absolutely essential to having the meets and the organization we all want. I appreciate your efforts.

Second, I would appreciate an advance peek, or just a ball park estimate of how much faster than Munich, as soon as possible. Plaster disclaimers all over it about how it's preliminary, subject to change before approval, etc. etc. I would expect a few last minute adjustments. What interests me far more keenly is knowing APPROXIMATELY how much faster (2 seconds, 5, 10, 15?). I make the Munich QT's, but not by a lot, in most of my favorite events. I'd like to know which, if any, are completely out of the question, or conversely which I've already qualified for, as I plan my summer campaign to make any challenging QT's.

Matt

Susan
July 1st, 2003, 11:22 AM
Any news from the FINA Masters Meeting May 30, 31, June1 in Riccione?

kerees
August 7th, 2003, 11:36 AM
I found some information regarding the "tentative" schedule on http://www.aussimasters.com.au/ and the same link at http://www.mastersswimming.com in the "news" section. Apparently all events will have NQT's, faster than Munich. The same schedule as Christchruch is to be used. Of course nothings final til everything is up at the FINA website.

Karla

Sabretooth Tiger
August 7th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Does anyone have a link to find the QTs for Munich and/or where the 2004 QTs will be once adopted? Thanks in advance.

Sabretooth Tiger
August 7th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Never mind . . . found the QT info for Munich and Christchurch posted with the results. Now we just have to wait for the 2004 standards?

Walt Reid
August 12th, 2003, 03:49 PM
The approved Time Standards for the FINA Masters World Championships in Riccione are posted at the FINA web site.
www.fina.org/mastersnews_riccione_04QTimes.html

Walt Reid
August 12th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Lets try that again.

FINA Masters World Champs in Riccione are posted.
Fina web site.

www.fina.org/mastersnews_riccione04_QTimes.html

kerees
August 19th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know if converted times are allowed from SCM or Yards? I thought I would be okay in a few events, but it turns out I am not....I probably would have swam them at Nationals if I thought I'd get bumped out.

Karla

cinc3100
August 21st, 2003, 11:53 PM
I like those standards. I qualify for 4 events. In our nationals I only qualified for 2 events.

Walt Reid
August 28th, 2003, 10:43 AM
The Meet Schedule for the FINA Masters World Championships in Riccione is now posted at the FINA Web site.

You can find it by clicking on MASTERS listed on the left side of the screen
Then RICCIONE 2004
Then "For more information go to" in the middle of the screen
Then select Schedule and GO

This is also where you can find the Qualifying Time Standards

Same location as the Qualifying Times. (see my message above)

WaterRat
August 28th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by kerees
Does anyone know if converted times are allowed from SCM or Yards? I thought I would be okay in a few events, but it turns out I am not....I probably would have swam them at Nationals if I thought I'd get bumped out.

Karla

Karla,

If I recall correctly, in 2000 when I was looking into the meet at Christchurch, converted times were accepted and no proof of times were required. The only issue was that if you did not swim a qualifying time at the meet your time was not posted and you would get a NT next to your name.

Can anyone else confirm?

Walt Reid
August 28th, 2003, 11:32 PM
You do not have to "Prove" that you have done times that qualify you for entering an event. Just like USMS Nationals.

You can use converted times.

If, when swimming the event in Riccione you are slower than the time standard, then you will receive a NT (no time) and will not place.

It is just like a DQ.

NKMD
August 28th, 2003, 11:39 PM
What is the maximum number of events that each swimmer is allowed to swim?

drip'nwet
August 29th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Does anybody know if there is an official travel agent for the World Games?

MPohlmann
August 30th, 2003, 11:44 PM
While I don't think that there is an "Official" travel agent for the FINA Masters World Championships, Ann Lamberson* <ann@pvtapi.com> of
PONTE VEDRA TRAVEL
110 Solana Road, Suite 106
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL**32082
800-833-7946
has handled the travel plans for USMS swimmers to most of the FINA Masters World Championships and is working on plans for Riccione, Italy.

I am not affilitated with Ponte Vedra Travel, but my husband and I used Ann Lamberson's services for our trip to the last FINA Masters World Championships in Christchurch, New Zealand. We were very pleased and will probably go with Ponte Vedra again for Riccione, Italy.

BTW, World Games is a different championships altogether. It includes many other sports besides swimming. FINA Masters World Championships includes only aquatic sports (swimming, synchronized swimming, diving, water polo and open water swimming).

Edward The Head
September 17th, 2003, 11:02 AM
So how do I fill out my heat sheet then if I am close to the times? Do I just fill out the sheet with wrong times and hope I make them? I am close on a number of times. Also are these times in LC or SCM?

As for the NT if you do not swim them, I had a friend who swam in this year's Masters in France. He made all his times but I did see other times that were slower then the qualifing times and they were listed with out a DQ next to them.

This meet might fit the bill for me pretty good as the time frame is good when I wanted to come to Europe for a vacation anyway.

Edward The Head
September 17th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Opps seems I made a bit of a mistake. My friend swam at the European Masters this past summer and I assumed that because it was in Italy next year it was again the European Masters.

However the questions still stand I just wanted to make sure I don't look like too much of an idiot. ;)

WaterRat
September 17th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Times are for LCM. If you are close to the qualifying times you could fudge the numbers to make the time. However, I would suggest instead using it as a motivator during your training to make the qualifying times and thus prepare you for the meet. I would assume that the European championships were run under different rules than the World championships and that is why you donít see the NTs.

MPohlmann
October 7th, 2003, 06:22 PM
If you are interested in booking your FINA Masters Championship arrangements with Ponte Vedra travel, they are again offering a 10% Early Booking Discount before their brochure is printed. The deposit is $250 and is fully refundable until February 15, 2004. Go to their website

Ponte Vedra Travel (http://www.pvtapi.com/)

I am not affiliated with Ponte Vedra, but I have used their services for New Zealand and Montreal. I gave them a deposit for Munich and it was cheerfully refunded when I decided to make my own arrangements. They really know how to take care of Masters swimmers.

dorothyrd
October 8th, 2003, 07:25 AM
I like these standards also. I don't have ANY for our Nationals, but have one and close to another on this. Of course I have only swum once in LC and I cannot go to Italy!! Guess I will have to keep working on Indy!

MPohlmann
October 26th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Several folks have said they either can't find or have difficulty with downloading the FINA Masters Championship Qualifying Times.

Therefore, I will attempt to attach the PDF file.

But the most direct link to the Qualifying times is Qualifying Times for Riccione (http://www.fina.org/mastersnews_riccione04_QTimes.html)

strong440
October 29th, 2003, 09:34 PM
thanx ,Mary

Once I happened to look under the heading >Nationals> in the Discussion Forums I found the qualifying times with no trouble at all. I did notice that some of them are faster than the Munich times, but I can still make all of the freestyle and IM times. See you in Riccione if not before.

michellemck99
January 21st, 2004, 04:12 PM
Is anyone successfully working on travel plans to go to Riccione this June?

It would seem from earlier posts on this thread and elsewhere that there are two main avenues to coordinate travel:

1) US-based travel agent Ann Lamberson at www.pvtapi.com

There was a page on that web site as recently as last week which described the package they are working on for the trip, but today when I looked there was no mention of the FINA Masters meet there.

2) Booking directly with the local organizing committee at http://www.masters2004.it/accomodation.asp

This seems to be a way to book your rooms once in Riccione.

Was wondering if anyone out there was successfully humming along on making travel arrangements, and if so, any advice? Thanks.

Edward The Head
March 8th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Does anyone know why they dropped the times so much? I was looking at the times from 02 and saw the 400 IM was 6:35, the 200 breast was 3:20, the 400 free was 5:50, the 200 IM 3:05. I would have qualified for all of them at my current times, but they droped them all 20 seconds plus.

On the plus side, I have now qualified for three events, the 400 IM, 200 and 400 free, all within 0:0.06 this past weekend. I will be sending in my forms soon. I just think it's strange to drop that much time for all these events. There didn't seem to be that many people there.

I do not know where I will be staying, but I will be ariving by motorcycle as I am flying into London 10 days before then. We should get together.

Oh has anyone seen a way to pay by credit carrd? I would think that would be the easiest way.

Betsy
March 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM
About arrangements.
I plan to be in Riccione for 5 nights and then travel with my family for a total of 14 days in Italy. I started out making my own arrangements, but went to AAA to check air fares. They were able to get a much lower fare than I could find on the internet. I ended up booking everything through AAA except the hotel in Riccione. I booked Riccione throught the Italian travel agency. They confirmed everything by email and I was able to go to the hotel's website to get an idea of what it is like. Actually, before booking any of my hotels, I was able to see each hotel on the internet. I've had a great time reading and planning this trip.
Betsy Durrant

michellemck99
March 8th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Regarding accomodations, I ended up finding an apartment rental service in Riccione, who was able to secure me a two bedroom, two bath apartment within one km of the pool for ~610 Euro for the 10 days. We're going to be there for the full time, using Riccione as a home base and then taking day trips on days we aren't swimming. I don't have prior experience with the rental agency, but I have been pleased with their assistance and communication thus far. If anyone is interested in going the apartment-rental route, I used the Perazzini travel agency at http://www.perazzini.it/default_en.asp.

Incidentally, I found them and other helpful information about the area at the local tourism board's web site, which is at http://www.turismo.provincia.rimini.it/eng/.

One other thing to chime in on is on wiring the money, vs. using a credit card. It looks like the organizers want the entry fee wired to them, and let me tell you, it is a bit of a pain (I had to look into wiring money overseas in order to pay the deposit on the apartment rental). Basically, you need to have a large bank do it for you -- my regular 'bank' is a credit union and they weren't up to the task. And, the fee is somewhere in the $25-$30 neighborhood to send an overseas wire. I ended up setting up a new bank account just to get this done.

P.S. The "we" that will be travelling to Italy is me, a non-swimmer, and my 85 year old grandfather, who is the swimmer. I'm his personal valet for the journey, if you will. He totally kicks butt, and is looking forward to his first international swimming competition.

MPohlmann
March 8th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Looks like it is finally possible to enter the 2004 FINA Masters Championships online and use a credit card. You need to have a jpg photo to attach. Go to:

http://www.masters2004.it/entries.asp

Too bad I already went to the trouble of obtaining a bank draft in Euros.

Mary

drip'nwet
March 9th, 2004, 09:09 AM
I have been trying to enter on-line, but after I enter my events, I get an error message in written in French!! So, I did e-mail the entries chairperson only to be told they do not have an error page written in French. Oh well, I then went to wire my entry fee over and my bank - told me I owed $93,745.00!! I told them that perhaps the decimal point is off and that $93.74 made more sense. The bank wanted me to call over to Italy to confirm the difference. I went to a bigger bank and also had to open an account in order for the money to be wired. I guess I will have to mail my entry because I can not get passed the French error message!! This has been an adventure!!

Matt S
March 9th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Edward,

I think I can shed a little light on the QT's. It is not so much that the 04 QT's are fast; it is more a case of the 02 QT's were slow. Recall that the 02 Championships were in New Zealand. Because traveling to the meet was going to be much more of a limiting factor then than it is now to travel to Italy, there was less need to use QT's to keep the size of the meet down. I swapped emails with the New Zealand meet director at the time, and they were not terribly enthusiastic about having any QT's at all. Increasing the number of the participants was a bigger concern for them. So apperantly they got FINA to buy-off on QT's that were not much of a factor (and they still got hit with the post-Sept 11th drop off in travel).

If you want to compare apples to apples, take a look at the 00 Munich QT's. I think you will find the 04 QT's are only a bit faster. If you can't find them on the web, I wrote down the QT's for my age group and events, so you can at least compare the free and fly events for Mens 35-39.

BTW, congratulations on making the cut! Excellent work, and always gratifying when you are close. If you want to impress your friends and neighbors, just tell them you qualified for Masters World Championships, and watch their eyes get big. Even though we know what that really means, it sure sounds like the Olympics to them.

Matt

Edward The Head
March 9th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Matt S
Edward,

I think I can shed a little light on the QT's. It is not so much that the 04 QT's are fast; it is more a case of the 02 QT's were slow.
If you want to compare apples to apples, take a look at the 00 Munich QT's. ..

BTW, congratulations on making the cut! Excellent work, and always gratifying when you are close. If you want to impress your friends and neighbors, just tell them you qualified for Masters World Championships, and watch their eyes get big. Even though we know what that really means, it sure sounds like the Olympics to them.

Matt

Actually, that's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. My mother did think I was going to the Olympics this summer when I told her I wanted to swim in Italy. :D Actually now that I think about it it is my Olympics! I have worked hard, and now that I have paid will have to work harder to make sure I keep my times.

For anyone else, I have just gotten through, was able to do all the registration and pay by credit card with no problems. I will still have to send in my paperwork I guess, my proof of age and copy of USMS card.

Maryyyyyy
April 12th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Greetings from a Masters Swimmer in Florence Italy (Mary Lokken, originally from Berkeley, California)!

It's great to see you all chatting about the upcoming World Championships... I wish I'd seen this post before! I would have dived in with some info for you, whatever I have...

First of all, may I say that all of the Italian Masters are really excited about the meet - and waiting for you with open arms! We're a great bunch of old swimmers (more than 10,000 now on the peninsula). Our forum is at Quelli che il Nuoto (http://mail.nuoto.it/~forumnew/index.php?showforum=7) which means "Those Who Swim"... I'll put a post there right after this to tell them all to hop over to this forum and take a look!

Some of your questions:

QTs - we're as perplexed as you all are. We're all trying hard as we can for times, and at meets results are posted with TL for "tempo limite" which means we're qualified. However, it's true that no official proof is necessary. If you don't make the time at the meet, you'll just get a "NT" result.

Italian Meet Organization - For those of you who have little faith in Italian organization, I've been to a lot of meets here, and have to say so far, GREAT! So, keep your fingers crossed.

Registration - We're having the same problems as you! Anyway, each team is just sending off all the docs + $ to the FIN office in Rome.

Accomodations - If you haven't gotten that arranged yet, I'd hurry! There's a link on the official FINA site which I think is quite good.

The Pool - The President of my team Nuoto Club Firenze (http://www.nuotoclubfirenze.org/master.php) is on the LEN (European Swimming League) Committee, and went to Riccione to inspect the complex specifically for this event. My understanding was that the olympic pool we'll be using is NEW, and therefore has not been tried for a meet.... ie: we don't know if it's a fast pool or not. But what the heck! We're there for the fun!

I'll check this post more often from now on to see if there are any new questions I can help with. I'll be in Riccione almost the whole time (50 + 100 free, 50 + 100 back, 50 fly and 3KM in the sea!) so I hope to meet some of you!

Cheers!
Mary Lokken
Florence Italy

bokko
April 13th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Greating from a Master swimmmer and coach in Milan, friend of Maryyy

The Pool is going to test in May with Italian Police Championship or same!!!!

The open pool is old but the close one is new

See you soon

(like Maryyyyy I try to visit often this topic!)

Maryyyyyy
April 15th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Latest News From Italy:

I spoke with the Prez of my team yesterday evening over pizza and asked him what I can tell you all about the Stadio del Nuoto, the facilities where the Championships will be held (he's there today for another inspection)...

- The NEW 50 meter 10 lane INDOOR pool (which is still empty, that is, no water in it) will be opened with an inauguration ceremony on May 9th.
It WILL be open for us in June - this is sure. It will be a beautiful structure, built according to all the modern technology, so it should be fast. But as we all know with these things, you don't really know until you try it, sort of like an opera house and its accoustics...

- The rest of the facilities, 50m and 25m outdoor pool and 25m indoor pool, and surrounding park (as described in on the FINA site) are tried and true. He assures me that it is an really nice facility, and we'll all fit in very comfortably. There will be one 25m pool constantly available for warm-up...

- The races will take place in both the indoor and outdoor 50m pools, with men's and women's races alternating pools daily. Therefore, for the moment it's not possible to know which race you'll be doing indoor or outdoor.

In the end he said "Hey, tell them - we're going to have FUN!"

So, come on down - the water's fine!!

Mary
Florence, Italy

bokko
April 17th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Like Maryyyy said, the open pool is fast.

My team test it last year for Italian UISP Championship!!!!