PDA

View Full Version : Meet Planning and Coordination Sub-Committee

coachbrad
September 18th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Here is the Great Lakes Zone thread for the sub-committee formed during convention to help coordinate and communicate meets within the zone. The committee members are:

Brad Houston, Chair [abhouston@alltel.net]
CJ Rushman
Carl Saxton
Nadine Day

All other comments are welcome, but we will get our agenda rolling slowly first using this thread as our virtual, e-meeting room!

Agenda:

1. Check-in of committee members
2. Agreement of pace and frequency to postings / Anticipated timeline discussion
3. Clarification of role and responsibilities of sub-committee
4. Exchange of current meet schedules that are known at this time
5. General Discussion on mission and coordination within the Zone
6. Close this thread as First Virtual E-meeting.

carlsaxton
September 20th, 2002, 01:06 PM
I'm checking in. :D

NASTISWMR
September 20th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Brad:

It is great to see that you are rapidily moving forward on your committee's assignment. Hopefully other Great Lakes zone members will visit your thread and attendance at meets will improve all over the midwest.

Thanks for your and your committee's dedication to Master's Swimming!!

coachbrad
September 21st, 2002, 10:01 PM
Great! Glad to see you here Carl. Nadine emailed me, so I am waiting to see the others check in. I will check back every day or few to see who we have. As you can see, this will be quite an asynchronous process. It definitely will test the patience of those who are not blessed with such patience! The trick is to keep the thread moving and not stagnant, but at the same time not expect rapid-fire responses that are not well thought out or read by all. I would expect the others to check in within a couple days.....Until then, sit back and enjoy the cocktails and hors d'oeurves :D

Brad

NKMD
September 22nd, 2002, 11:41 AM
Sorry guys, I am a little slow. I figured this thing out.
I am checking in.

NKMD
September 22nd, 2002, 11:44 AM
CMSA Semi-Annual Meeting will be taking place
Wednesday, October 16
7:00pm

Oak Brook Park District Administration and Family Recreation Center
1450 Forest Gate Rd - Oak Brook, IL

We will discussing our up-coming meet schedule and the convention.

cjr
September 25th, 2002, 11:10 PM
Greetings to all-

Just checking in.

Thanks,
C.J.

NKMD
October 1st, 2002, 11:15 PM
I have encouraged other LMSC within our zone to post there meets on this discussion forum. Jennifer Parks did a great job getting the Michigan meet on. There is a swim meet in Appleton, WI coming up soon also, but I don't know when.

We will also use the USMS competition link as much as possible.

Nadine

MegSmath
October 3rd, 2002, 09:26 AM
The next meet in the Kentucky LMSC will be the Kentucky Classic Invitational on November 9 in Owensboro. This is a SCM meet in a beautiful facility. The entry form can be downloaded at

http://www.kylmsc.org/pdfs/kyclassic02.pdf

MPohlmann
October 3rd, 2002, 03:43 PM
It's been mentioned elsewhere, but not in this thread.

Don't forget the GRIN FALL CLASSIC at the IUPUI pool in Indianapolis, October 26-27th.

http://www.grinswim.org/2002GFC.pdf

cjr
October 3rd, 2002, 05:24 PM
For those that have inquired about meet schedules in and around the GLZ, I have obtained a short list of upcoming meets. Some dates are tenative. Please check the website for updated info. The team reps in Ohio are really good about getting meet info out to the OHIO LMSC website. The address is www.ohiolmsc.org. We try to include all meets that are in the Great Lake Zone. If you know of any meets that are not on the list, please go to our website and contact our webmaster, Martin Brann with the information. He will post it for all to see and share.

Hope to see you at one of these meets!

October 26 & 27
SCM in Indianapolis @ IUPUI (Info on OHIO LMSC website)

November 9
The KY Classic in Owensboro, KY

December 7
Gamble Nippert Y Meet in Cincinnati OH

December 8
Lakeside Mile in Louisville KY

January 25
Miami Redfin Masters in Oxford OH

January 25
The Barbara Stevens Invit in BG, KY

February 22
Anderson Barracuda Masters Meet in Cincinnati OH

March 8 or 15 (Pending on Pool availabilty)
Northern KY Masters Meet in Erlanger KY

March 29 & 30
Wildcat Masters Invit (KY State Champs) in Lexington, KY

April 6 or 13 (Pending on Pool availabilty)
SWOM Meet in Cincinnati.

:cool:

coachbrad
October 17th, 2002, 08:02 AM
There is also a meet at Oberlin College (Oberlin, OH) on October 27. This is the same day as the Indiana Meet, though.

Brad

born2fly
October 17th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Just curious Brad, how has the turnout been in the past for the meet in Oberlin? I signed up for the Oberlin meet and am hoping they will have a good turnout.

greg

NKMD
October 19th, 2002, 02:49 AM
We now have a tentative meet schedule pending sanctions and also certification of pool lengths.

Jan 5th-Latoff
Jan 26th-St. Charles
Feb 9th-Evanston
Feb 16th-York
Feb 23rd-Rockford
March 2nd-Central in Bloomington
March 16-York
March 29th-Barrington
April 11-13th-State Meet

These are TENTATIVE Dates.

I just wanted to inform you all of the possible dates so mark your calenders.

See you on deck.

mattson
October 21st, 2002, 10:19 AM
Hi Nadine,
I noticed that the list of Illinois meets did not include the Richport Pentathlon (in early December). Do you know if they cancelled it this year? Thanks.

NKMD
October 21st, 2002, 12:38 PM
There is no Richport meet.

Also, I am sorry for posting the listing of the meets. These meets are pending sanctioning and pool certification. All the pools need to be re-certified because of the new pool certification effective January 2003. All lanes need to be measured and bulk-end meets have to be re-measured after the meet.

There will be a clause on the meet entry form stating if the meet meets the new pool certification and that our times will count for TOP TEN and records.

I will update you as soon as I sanction the meets and let you all know of the certification status.

laser90
September 16th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by born2fly
Just curious Brad, how has the turnout been in the past for the meet in Oberlin? I signed up for the Oberlin meet and am hoping they will have a good turnout.

greg

Greg,

We had just over 50 swimmers last year.

See you at the meet
Dan

born2fly
September 17th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Just trying to figure out how a post I submitted last year came back up on here. I swam at the Oberlin meet last year, well run meet and a nice pool. However, this year I am venturing a little westward to the GRIN meet.

Just a thought, has there been any condsideration with the meet schedule in also adding USS meets that have the "open" age group for those who also like to do masters and USS meets?

See ya on deck,
greg

NKMD
September 17th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to compile a listing of meets in the Great Lakes Zone region. I will have a listing as soon as I can compile them together. I will give you links to where you can compete in USS OPEN divisions, also big meets across the US. I was given the task to do such a thing, but I am the sanction chair for Central, I have only one meet that I have a sanction for so far ( St. Charles, IL Feb 1st, Superbowl) and last year we had a meet every weekend. Our deadline is Oct 15th in which I will compile an updated listing at that time.
Nadine KM Day, CMSA Vice Chairperson, Sanction Chair.

dpflyer
September 20th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Sorry, Brad, I'm slower than Nadine...but then most everyone is!

We do indeed have a meet in Appleton on Oct 25 at Lawrence University. Details (info & entry form) can be downloaded from our website: www.swim-wimasters.org

The only other meet definitely scheduled is the Madison East Y meet on February 15 (Sunday) in the morning. But, there are plans for another meet in Stevens Point in March.

We will be having our Annual Meeting next Saturday, the 27th, tentatively at the Madison East YMCA.

I'm really disappointed that I didn't make the LMSC Chairs meeting in San Diego! A couple things I would like to know from other chairs: (1) how many meetings do you have in a year? (2) when do you start setting your schedule for the next year? (3) does e-mailing your newsletter help or hurt your retention? does it do the job of maintaining better communication with members?

Thanks a lot!

dick pitman, chair, wisconsin
608-242-8125

NKMD
September 20th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Dick,
Thank you for the compliment.
Also, thanks for the meet info.

As acting chair for the next two weeks (Mary is vacationing in Europe-it must be nice to be retired), I will answer your questions. We have 2 meetings for our LMSC. I took over the sanction chair, in addition to the vice chair; in the past, meet directors usually come to the semi annual meeting in Oct with their meet request. This year I sent out packets to all previous meet directors to try to get them to schedule their meets earlier, however that has not worked so far. I have only go two meet directors to respond. In addition, we are in the process of setting up a link for all meet directors to obtain all necessary info off our website. This will enable them to get the sanction forms and procedure info for hosting a meet. We are also talking about giving them their own e-mail address on our web for just the meet info. As for our communication to our members. We have a CMSA Newletter 6 times per year. Right now we mail and e-mail them. Currently we trying to go to e-mail only due to the cost of mailing them. That is up for discussion.

Nadine