PDA

View Full Version : newbie update

midaged
June 22nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
A lil update, I've been swimming better and better. Vacation, etc I got a lil sidelined. Also, I had gotten frustrated with trying to learn to bilateral breathe. I stopped that...at least for now. I'm not competing with anyone and it's not fun for me.:p
I can pretty easily swim a length now, r side breathing only. I'm not as concentrated and am a lil more relaxed which makes the whole thing better.
Today, I went into the Y and ran a mile, did some core exercises, then showered and hit the pool. Swam 3 or 4 lengths, then the swimteam came in. I love watching those kids. They're like piranahas when they come in. awesome kids. I got into a converstion with their coach and he gave me some pointers. One thing I can't seem to get at this point is how to make my butt more buoyant. I HATE that pool buoy trick. He said as I focus more on my stroke, that my butt will come up to level anyway. To just keep kicking, but not too big and as I practice it's a natural progression of form. It'll work itself out. Said to learn the backstroke and maybe to do some paddles on my hands. Wants me to learn to "feel the water" more than just be in the water. Well, I've somewhat accomplished what I've started out to do. I am happy but still going at it.
Just wanted to update my new swimbuds.
Mark

thewookiee
June 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Mark,

What part of Tennessee? Sounds like you have made a good bit of progress.
If you want your butt to come up, play with your head position. Try getting a more neutral head position, one that is focused on the part of the pool directly beneath you, not the part of the pool a few feet in front of you.
This may help your butt to float better. Keep up the good work.

John

midaged
June 22nd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I need to clarify the total 3 or 4 lengths are broken, catching my breath. I usually can swim one full 25, then back, then 1/2 way again another couple of times. I know that must sound wimpy, but I'm better. A year ago, I couldn't swim ONE, even the old fashioned way. ( the lake method I call it, headup)
It is SUCH a different challenge than running a couple of miles. But I like it. ;)
Wookie, if you could, explain about focusing on the bottom of the pool instead of ahead of me to keep my head neautral.
Thanks,
Mark

geochuck
June 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM
I have told this story before... I was teaching an 82 year old how to swim at the YMHA in North Toronto. After she completed 25 meters she said Mister Park you have taught me how to swim a length of the pool, would you teach me how to swim 2 lengths. I said turn around and go back.

midaged
June 24th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Thanks thewookie, that made a HUGE difference in what I was doing. Today was good for me, a "few" times, I actually felt right. I concentrated on looking below me and it automatically threw my body into, I think, a better alignment. I felt my feet break the water a little bit and my butt came up, there wasn't as much resistance and my head tilt was better. It felt easier to make kicks right from the hips/butt and more organized/structured. I was tired, cause I ran a mile and a half on the treadmill before I swam, but my form was good. I broke my swim into 1/2 or 3/4 the pool, rest, then finish the length, several times, probably 5 or 6 total laps. I know that sounds wussy, but I'm gradually building endurance and trying to keep good form, not just splash. I'm in no big hurry, I've already accomplished part of what I wanted. I've only started about a month or so ago, so I'm pleased. Best of all it feels good, especially with my head down more looking at the bottom below me, I guess I was looking in front of me.
I tell you this swimming is great for you. Combining it with what I already do and watching my fat/calorie intake, I've trimmed, I dunno, bout 5 or 6 lbs in a month or two. My clothes fit better, I've even had to take one belt up a notch.
Oh well, newbie adrenaline typing, sorry. Just wanted to thank thewookie and maybe that in itself will inspire someone else starting to swim.
G'day,
Mark