PDA

View Full Version : New To Me

Concho Pearl
June 22nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
This Masters program is new to me. I've looked at the records for my age group, and looked at the record times.

How do I know if I even stand a chance? I understand I have a long way to go to get in shape, but I would at least like to know if it's a possiblity to compete.

I of course, thought I did rather well for my first day back. I'm 44 years old and been on a 27 year vacation from swimming.

Today I swam approx. 400 yds off and on... without the lifeguard coming in to save me.

I'm a sprinter and after about 200 yds,of getting my feet wet, I used the pace clock to time me at 50 yards. Without diving in, my time was 40 secs. I know I wasn't swimming my hardest and figure with a dive that too would shave a few seconds off.

I would like to join our local masters program once I can get in shape, but do I stand a chance or should I swim for the joy of swimming???

Any advise??

waves101
June 23rd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Depends on how you define "stand a chance", your background and the time available to devote. Yes, you can be competitive. All it takes is you and a time clock. Compete to do better against the clock and enter a few meets to see how you like the competition against others. As far as setting records, this is where your background comes in. If you were an elite swimmer, you have a chance at national records. If you were a collegiate swimmer, you have a chance at state/possibly national records. If you were a great state high school swimmer but never went to college, you may still have a chance at state records. If you simply just swam when you were young (while possible) you probably will not break any records. But, you can still compete!

Rob Copeland
June 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Concho Pearl
I would like to join our local masters program once I can get in shape, but do I stand a chance or should I swim for the joy of swimming???Any advise??
I would like to join our local masters program once I can get in shape – This is a often heard misconception. The purpose of most Masters programs are to get you into shape and keep you there. You don’t need to be in great shape to join and in fact you will find that you will get in better shape fasted once you are part of the team.

but do I stand a chance – a chance for what? Setting national records very few people have the talent and commitment to set national records. However everyone has the ability to set and achieve realistic goals.

or should I swim for the joy of swimming??? - Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!

Any advise?? – Talk to the coach and if the masters program offers you what you are looking for, then join now.

Concho Pearl
June 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
I guess you could say I could have been a gone to State in high school and possible done swimming if I went to college. Life got in the way and I stopped short in swimming.

I just would like to know if I stand a chance if I did compete, I don't think I'm good enough for a national record. But may be a state level.

I now understand that I don' t have to be "in shape" to join our local master program, but I do want to know - just for my self - that I can make a few laps in the pool with out coming out with jelly legs.

Is there some were I can see State record times?

Maybe just knowing the record times that people in the masters program in Texas are doing will help me when I race the clock.

geochuck
June 23rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
Why do you concern yourself with times when you are not ready to swim fast at this time? I have met guys who hardly swam or never had a lesson and one in particular who started swimming 2 years ago just set a new record time for his age group for 50 fly lc 35 to 39 age group.

Concho Pearl
June 23rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'm love to compete, against the clock and people. It helps me set goals and challange myself. I figure after I meet my goal of swimming for 30 mins without drowning. I can set my goal of my time against the clock. Plus I would just like to know what people are doing.

hofffam
June 23rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
You should look at this site at the "current top times" or "top ten times" under the competition tab at the top. These are USA times. I doubt if there are many states that track master's times. I think many LMSCs (local masters swim committees) track their best times.

I suggest looking at the current top times so you can specify top 50 or top 100 (for example). I think in most cases you'll see that the top 5 or so are VERY fast but it spreads out after the elite.

A.K.
June 24th, 2006, 10:06 PM
27 years off- and be sub 40-35 for a fifty???

Welcome Back !!!!

It's never too late.

I met a newly masters swimmer at Nationals( Olympic Hopeful) who was once a very good swimmer 15 years back and they caught the bug. They are also having a blast.

I am working my way back after a 20+ year break. Enter a Masters Meet and you will see how different it is than when you were swimming competitively. It has been a blast since started swimming about 9 months ago after that 20+ year break.

Concho Pearl - you wouldn’t have been from the Keys would you?

Originally posted by Concho Pearl

I just would like to know if I stand a chance if I did compete, I don't think I'm good enough for a national record. But may be a state level.

I now understand that I don' t have to be "in shape" to join our local master program, but I do want to know - just for my self - that I can make a few laps in the pool with out coming out with jelly legs.

Is there some were I can see State record times?

Maybe just knowing the record times that people in the masters program in Texas are doing will help me when I race the clock.

Concho Pearl
June 24th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Nope, I'm from West Texas.

I've have been thinking, wondering, maybe I would be better 27 years later. I thought, yea, I don't have the problems I had back then. I also realized that back then maybe I needed to quit, maybe not in they way that I did, but my gut tells me I needed to quit.

Now I can consentrate on my swimming with only (hopfully) normal life day to day worries.

After reseaching record times, once I get back into shape, I think I do have a chance. With my first swim in 27yrs at 50yds @40secs not really going all out. Yep, I think I can shave off those unwanted seconds.

I just need to understand all the new rules, strokes and starts.

rtodd
June 30th, 2006, 11:27 AM
For 2005, below are the top times for your age group. You need to shave about 14 seconds of your 50 time.

I've been swimming about a year and I had a humbling experience when I first got timed in the 50Y and swam a 29. I thought it would be a 25. Of course I need to get down to a low 22. Ha Ha.

But I'm not giving up. As a master I have the rest of my life!!!!!

Give yourself a chance by not giving up!!!

50 Freestyle SCY Women 40-44 (2005) # Name Age Club LMSC Time
1 Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen 43 SDSM San Diego - Imperial 24.54
2 Collette H Sappey 40 CMS Colorado 24.65
3 Anna T Pettis Scott 42 CMS Colorado 24.71
4 Susan Walsh 43 NCMS North Carolina 24.98
5 Corrin C Popps 40 MICH Michigan 25.08
6 Kathy L Garnier 44 CMS Colorado 25.25
7 Carolyn C Voorhees 43 TERR Potomac Valley 25.35
7 Mary B Lueker 40 RMST Potomac Valley 25.35
9 Carol C Olson 42 OMAH Midwestern 25.38
10 Beth O Mc Gee 43 GAJA Georgia 25.46

100 Freestyle SCY Women 40-44 (2005) # Name Age Club LMSC Time