PDA

View Full Version : Fast Food

geochuck
June 24th, 2006, 08:21 PM
How many times in a month do you have fast food. My wife and I had a trip to Vancouver Island last month we went to Tim Hortons and had a Chicken Salad Wrap. It was the first time to a fast food place in 2 months. The only other thing I buy out is a Double Shot Latte at Beanies in Ladner, I do this very often.

A.K.
June 24th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Now? Not too often.

Back in the day..... 4 times a day and sometimes $20 a pop at BK lounge for one meal after ocean diving or a hard workout.

Did a calorie count in my jumior High School year and averaged 7,000 calories a day intake...... not including the splurges :)

sparx35
June 25th, 2006, 05:12 AM
3 maybe 4 times a month,worked into a calorie counted diet:eek:

knelson
June 25th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Probably less than five times per year. Not that I eat great, but I don't eat much fast food.

Gil
June 25th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Never, since about a month ago. Our book club read Fast Food Nation and that changed our collective minds about fast food from reasonably positive to absolutely negative.

A.K.
June 25th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Super Size Me (http://www.supersizeme.com/)

Check this show out. It shows an individual eat nothing but fast food for 30 days and the effects it has on him. Humorous and scary.

When I was younger and pounded out the yardage it didn't seem to faze me. Now that I'm older and less active, I believe eating fast food everyday would impact me.

hornHead
June 25th, 2006, 09:14 PM
George - I hope you came over to The Island for more than just a Timmys?

Peter Cruise
June 25th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Yes, The Island demands a visit to Serious Coffee...

geochuck
June 26th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
Yes, The Island demands a visit to Serious Coffee... I was actually heading to the Island to get my accountant to do my income tax, had my coffee and was going to go to your place Peter to pick up a good book but the accountant took too much time.

Peter Cruise
June 26th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Ah, George- the bookstote is a sad place these days; it tears my heart out, but we're going to close it at the end of the summer. Too much money lost, alas.

JimCanSwim
June 26th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Once a week or so. The thing is, traditional "fast food" isn't what it used to be. These days, there are many good choices. Most places have salad and can broil or grill chicken instead of frying it.

I know I have a Mandarin Chicken salad from Wendy's a couple of times a month. I order it with one of the low fat/low cal dressings and I'm fine. I think you can get healthier food at fat food places today. You just have to be really informed and careful about what you order.

JIM

jim clemmons
June 26th, 2006, 02:09 PM
These days, there are many good choices. Most places have salad and can broil or grill chicken instead of frying it.

I've been reading a book on the development of the "Fast Food Industry" and many of the ramifications that have resulted.

Though I agree it is better to have it broiled or grilled as opposed to fried, the way the chickens are fed - and what they are fed with - while being raised for fast food "service" might make you rethink the term "good choices".

I don't have the book title handy but will post it when I do.

Crazy D
June 26th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Just earlier this month I had a meet. The night before, my daughter and I did McDonalds. I did not have a good meet the following day, and those were my races that I wanted to really jump on. I had very little enthusiasm, less energy, and I just wasn't clicking. It was a tough meet. I made it through and in the process vowed to never have fast food the day before a meet. Might as well stick a fork in the weekend.

Other than that, at least once a week. The office goes to Hardee's for lunch on Thursdays. There's a couple of days the wifey doesn't want to cook either. So, I'm looking at about twice a week, if you don't count pizza (which I don't, as it is barely considered fast by the time the pizza dude gets to my front door).

hornHead
June 26th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I was actually heading to the Island to get my accountant to do my income tax

George - Do they not have accountants in the GVA? Isn't a $100 ferry fare just a little steep to get your taxes done or do I smell a DOUBLE / DOUBLE business deduction?

geochuck
June 26th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by hornHead
I was actually heading to the Island to get my accountant to do my income tax

George - Do they not have accountants in the GVA? Isn't a $100 ferry fare just a little steep to get your taxes done or do I smell a DOUBLE / DOUBLE business deduction? I have had the same guy to do my taxes for 20 years, not only that but I love the coffee from Tim's in Parksville and it also allows me to visit my three daughters who live on the Island. During the week I only pay for the vehicle and my wife and I ride the ferry free (sr citizens ride free Mon to Thurs) It was much better when I used to go to the A&W in Parksville for breakfast but now I only do Timmy"s. DOUBLE/DOUBLE is a Canadian word, and I am not going to spill the beans (coffee beans)

hornHead
June 27th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I like A & Dubya because they provide the Province & Times - Colonist. Green Tea & a toasted bagel with peanut butter. Sometimes I have a coffee.........refills are always free, the tables and chairs are not cemented into the floor like Snortin' Horton's.
I sit at the same table almost every time with a couple of regulars. Kind of like CHEERS.

We are also just minutes from the ocean so a daily walk along the beach at this time of year is a must.

knelson
June 27th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Crazy D
The office goes to Hardee's for lunch on Thursdays.

Sounds like you need an office with better taste in food!

geochuck
June 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by hornHead
I like A & Dubya because they provide the Province & Times - Colonist. Green Tea & a toasted bagel with peanut butter. Sometimes I have a coffee.........refills are always free, the tables and chairs are not cemented into the floor like Snortin' Horton's.
I sit at the same table almost every time with a couple of regulars. Kind of like CHEERS.

We are also just minutes from the ocean so a daily walk along the beach at this time of year is a must. A & Dubya is too much like an old age home in the mornig - Free refils, Bacon and Eggs $1.99, free papers. I had to quit going my wife refused to enter with all those old people and all the yelling because they think you are as hard of hearing as they are. I loved it but I was starting to feel very very old.

Crazy D
June 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by knelson
Sounds like you need an office with better taste in food!

This was actually something that started out of accident. I went to lunch there, because it was the shortest line. Met a co-worker there. The next week, more people came. Now, it's a weekly thing. We're all engineers and we make decisions constantly. So, in an effort to avoid making another one, we just go to Hardees. That is unless someone else has a different idea. Basically, it's a predetermined solution to avoid another decision.

geochuck
June 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I was wondering what the schedule is like in the local pool there. We usually stop near Gilette when we drive to our hometown Hamilton Ontario. Do they have open lane swimming there. My wife and I have actually had a sausage sandwich for breakfast at Hardee's in Gillette.

Crazy D
June 27th, 2006, 12:00 PM
There are two (2) swimming pools in town. There's the Campbell County Aquatic Center, which is an Olympic size facility (10 lane 50 meter pool with one moving bulkhead). This has very limited open lap time. It used to be from 6 AM to 7:30 AM during the school year, but that got axed.

The other pool in town is the Campbell County Recreation Center. It's a 6 lane, 25 yard shallow-deep pool. It has a wading pool wing and a diving well wing off the main line (it's 'C' shaped). This has lap swim throughout the day. Right now, the lap swims are early in the morning with the doors opening at 5:00 AM to 9:00 AM and 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM. I'm in the water at 6:00 AM. Sometimes you have to throw some elbows with the senior citizens in there who like to walk laps, bob up and down in the middle of the pool, and talk to their friends about this, that and the other, and complain that I splash too much and I get their hair wet (yes, there has been a formal complaint concerning my swimming while they are in the pool, during lap swim times, at 6:00 in the morning). So, there are some obstacles, but for the most part, it's a pretty cooperative community of pool users. There's free coffee in the lobby, which isn't bad at all, and on a truly good spirited day, yours truly will bring in some donuts from the bakery (because that's how I roll). The water's a little on the warm side, but you adjust, and eventually get used to it. I think it sits at around 85 degrees F.

There is works in progress about the Rec. Dept. building another lap pool, though I am propositioning it to be a multi-use pool facility, that can handle both swimming, water polo, syncro swimming, instruction...etc. I actually designed the plan and profile for the new Niagara Falls High School pool, named after my dad, the E. Paul "Coach" Maynard Natatorium. It's a way nice facility and one of the fastest high school pools in the state. But I'm getting away from your question.

The next time you shoot through Gillette, stop by the Rec Center (located on HWY 59 a.k.a. Douglas Highway) between 6 and 7 in the morning and say Hi. I'm the only guy in the water wearing a speedo. *laugh* And if you're looking for some good all-day grindage, check out Lulu Belle's on the corner of 1st Street and S. Gillette Avenue. That's some good, greasy spoon, eats right there.

See you in the pool!!!

Peter Cruise
June 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM
In the interior of BC there is a city where one of the attractions is Fort George Park. No lie.

geochuck
June 27th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
In the interior of BC there is a city where one of the attractions is Fort George Park. No lie. My blind son in law used to bike ride on a bicycle built for two thru the park. My daughter said he wanted her to go only on the dangerous trails.

Peter Cruise
June 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
And of course, the city in question is called Prince George...

jim clemmons
June 28th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Hey, I remembered I promised to post the name of the book I was referring to earlier in this forum.

It's "Chew On This - Everything You Don't Want To Know About Fast Food" by Schlosser and Wilson.

It only costs about 2 or 3 fast food meals (depends on how much of a "pig" one can be) and may save you and your kids life if you are overindulging.

jim clemmons
June 28th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Back on topic I guess.

geochuck
June 30th, 2006, 03:11 PM
I went to a Swedish restaurant this morning (Ikea) had a wonderful breakfast with Chuckie. I let her pay... Hash browns, 2 sausages, srambled eggs and a croissant $1.00 each.

geochuck
August 13th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Crazy D
This was actually something that started out of accident. I went to lunch there, because it was the shortest line. Met a co-worker there. The next week, more people came. Now, it's a weekly thing. We're all engineers and we make decisions constantly. So, in an effort to avoid making another one, we just go to Hardees. That is unless someone else has a different idea. Basically, it's a predetermined solution to avoid another decision. I was in Gillette a month ago Sunday morning the Rec center pool was not open. Came back This Friday but arrived to late to see you, arrived at 10 am. Met a girl in the office on crutches I believe her Name was Vivian and the pool manager Joss Bott. I also met a lady in the pool who had swum in the Pan Am Games 35 years ago. She was interested in getting back to swim in Masters. Vivian mentioned that the swim googles were in and I should let you know.

geochuck
August 15th, 2006, 10:10 AM
On my trip from Vancouver to Hamilton Ontario (my home town) 4500k each way and $1600 in gasoline (the price has gone up) I was waylaid by fast food. A couple of MacDonald's Sausage biscuits ($1.00 each and a sr coffee @ 25 to 50 cents) and an occasional Subway Italian BMT.

Good meals at my wifes sisters house they have a great garden. Fresh fruits and vegy's every day we stayed there for a week and delicious meat or fish every day there.

I also spent a week at my brother Thurlows house it was fast food there, food from the deli roast chicken diners with mojos, store bought potato salads and macaroni salads. Pizza one night, subway sandwiches another night, fish and chips at the Burlington legion.

It surely is good to be back home after 1 month on the raod and back to Chuckie's home prepared meals.

lefty
August 15th, 2006, 05:55 PM
2 x 4500 KM = 9000 KM * .62 = 5500 Miles @ 20 Miles per gallon = 275 gallons of gas. 1600/275 = $5.85 per gallon! We don't have it so bad in the US.

geochuck
August 15th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by lefty
2 x 4500 KM = 9000 KM * .62 = 5500 Miles @ 20 Miles per gallon = 275 gallons of gas. 1600/275 = $5.85 per gallon! We don't have it so bad in the US. Actually drove the states in the Motorhome my gas milage not great about 12m per US gallon

A.K.
August 15th, 2006, 09:25 PM
"4500k each way and $1600 in gasoline "

That's alot of beer money gone to the oil companies. :)

geochuck
August 16th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by A.K.
"4500k each way and $1600 in gasoline "

That's alot of beer money gone to the oil companies. :) Yes! and almost a years supply of fast food.