PDA

View Full Version : DVD instruction for kids

regiolanthe
June 26th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Hello,

Swim father of two in a local swim club (8yo girl - fairly competitive; 10 yo boy, happy to be in club and middle o' pack).

Just wondering if parents had any luck using swim DVDs with their kids - and if so, which they would recommend (for example, the Go Swim series, the Swim Fast series, or any others).

My kids are at the point where they have the basics down for all four strokes, and can do flip turns. My daughter has a good instinctive feel for swimming ... good for her age (not upper echelon, but usually top 3 in AG at meets and top 20 at regionals in most events she entered) - and son is a decent breaststroker, but mostly content just to swim.

Unfortunately the club they belong to seems understaffed and short on individualized stroke instruction (i.e., mostly laps), so I was wondering if the DVD route was worth going for added tips. I'm not competent enough to provide any worthwhile input myself ...

So ... long and short. Any parents out there had any success using DVDs with their kids as an added training tool, and if so - which seemed to have the clearest examples/footage/drills, and had broad enough appeal for the younger set?

PS - Not esp. interested in TI input. I've had a TI workshop myself, but I'm more interested in information for competitive swimming ... individualized drills/instruction for all four strokes and turns.

Thanks in advance,

Reg.

tuck
June 27th, 2006, 01:14 PM
I never could get my kids to watch the DVD's I brought home, I even went to the library and had them stock them for me. I liked them though and got alot out of them. Sorry I don't remember the names. But really I couldn't even take anything from the DVD's to teach to my kids (11 and 8 ), and they refused to be coached by their Dad ( smart kids ). I finally took them from their team, practices 3 min from the house, to a team that is 70 miles round trip from home, and it's been worth every dime in gas. If you have the chance, shop around for other teams. We got alot out of looking what coaching the competitors are getting and we really could see where our team was lacking.

cjr
June 28th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Check your local library. Also USMS has it's own library that you can borrow from.

dorothyrde
June 29th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Honestly, kids this age don't want to watch swimming videos. In the water instruction is the best for them. If you don't have that, look for it, ask around and find out how to get it for them.

hofffam
June 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM
My two swimming kids don't like to watch any swimming videos unless they are in them.

geochuck
July 10th, 2006, 10:23 AM
DVDs here are some videos you can watch http://www.online1966.com/all.asp

bip
July 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I have a just turned 9 year old, and I had the same problem as you. Frankly, I think the "70 mile trip" advice might be the best. Nevertheless, as your question was about DVD's, I'll give my 2 cents on that.

Firstly, as to whether a kid will watch an instructional DVD - I think depends entirely on the kid. My daughter loves watching them, and so do a couple of other kids. On the other hand, I haven't found a boy of that age that will, and a few girls she has mentioned this to have looked at her like she was nuts. Also, there's no reason why you can't look at the videos yourself and try and just get them to look at the parts you think might be relevant. So, this issue really depends on your kids and you.

I bought 4 DVD's, 2 from Total Immersion and 2 from the Go Swim series. I also bought the "Swimming Fastest" book by Maglischo (it's like an encyclopaedia, so think twice before giving it to kids) I also got "The parents guide to swimming, which is a small paperback that I found amazingly worthwhile!

The 2 TI videos are: Freestyle made easy and 4 strokes made easy. The Go swim titles are All strokes, and Breaststroke with Amanda Beard.

Despite your comments, I really recommend the two TI DVD's. The drills in "freestyle made easy" work best with two swimmers working with each other. That one may not be your cup of tea, as it goes back to first principles (which my daughter needs) but the "4 strokes made easy" is really great, and personally I think this is right up your alley. This DVD goes well beyond the TI balance stuff and really deals well with the individual strokes and provides good drills to improve them.

The 2 Go Swim DVD's are good, but don't seem to have nearly as much content as I expected. Nevertheless, there are good tips useful for ALL levels and I would recommend them. Still, you can speed through those 2 DVD's in a heartbeat and wonder where your $100 (can) went, while the TI "4 strokes" impressed me with the volume of content.

Again, if you're going to just give them to the kids, it will depend entirely on them as to whether they will be interested - a bit of a crap shoot. On my daughter's team some of the kids just want to swim without thinking. On the other hand, some of the kids are amazingly self-analytical. One of them never ceases to amaze me with her constant analysis of herself and others. (No wonder she's the best 8 year old around!)

Good luck. Message me if I you want any other information on what I bought or researched.

geochuck
July 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Worst swimming coaches I know of are parents who know it all after buying a DVD or seeing a video. Take your child to a swimming club and get proper coaching.

bip
July 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Worst swimming coaches I know of are parents who know it all after buying a DVD or seeing a video. Take your child to a swimming club and get proper coaching.

Geo, you cannot just stereotype without knowing more.

Not every parent that buys a book or a DVD thinks he knows everything. In fact, some parents are so paranoid that they don't know anything that they engage in considerable study before making any comments to their kids whatsoever. Also, some parents actually consult with a coach after buying the DVD's and get advice as to how to implement what they've seen. Funnily enough, not every parent is a little league parent rushing in to take over... But thanks anyway for your lack of confidence.

If you read my post, you would have noticed that my first recommendation was the 70 mile trip that another poster referred to.

Re just taking your kid to a club. Our club is in hiatus for the summer and my daughter desperately wants to improve her swimming before they get back because she feels like she's behind all the time.

Not all parents are asses, and frankly not all coaches are great. There is such a thing as balance and you cannot just assume the worst!

geochuck
July 10th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Bip I did not mean all parents but generally parents cause more problems in clubs, then move there homes to be close to another coach. It has happened over the years and many of the kids who move to the socalled better coach ends up getting worse. Yes the worst coaches I know are some parents.

bip
July 10th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Bip I did not mean all parents but generally parents cause more problems in clubs, then move there homes to be close to another coach. It has happened over the years and many of the kids who move to the socalled better coach ends up getting worse. Yes the worst coaches I know are some parents.

Ok, well your terse reply didn't seem to leave much grey area!

Anyway, the real point is that it takes more than just taking your kid to a local club and hoping for the best. It takes research, discussing with other parents, speaking to the clubs, getting opinions from other sources - like this, etc, etc. After all, what if someone lived in Oakville and took their kid to the nearest club - the Oakville Dolphins - and later found out that the coach had been convicted of drug trafficking, been part of a major steroid ring and admitted burning the dismembered body of one of his steroid ring partners....?

As I'm sure you know that's the guy that was allowed back to coach at Oakville. So, coaches run the gamut from great to terrible. Few things are black and white, and I'll bet you that some of the best coaches were also parents. Or are you suggesting that only the sterile should get to coach? (ok, I'm just kidding there, Geo).

But seriously, at our club ALL the coaches are parents. Some of them are really good. Yes, a little knowledge CAN be a bad thing, but let's acknowledge that some parents can also contribute without ruining everything.

geochuck
July 10th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I knew that coach he was an Idiot he also did some work with a swim clinic out of Florida. He wanted to coach with my brothers club in Burlington Ont.