PDA

View Full Version : first time in a wetsuit this year and having problems.

rtodd
July 3rd, 2006, 08:32 PM
I've been swimming regularly in the pool for amost a year. The last time I wore a wetsuit was in August of 2005. Here it is almost a year later and I wore it for the first time.

I had great difficulty trying to get my kick into any sort of rythym. The movement of my legs seemed restricted. I also had trouble with the added boyancy. It also seemed to interfere with my balance and kick and also restricted my normal breathing.

The suit may be a bit small, but it is not too small. I just think that I am having trouble making the adjustment.

I have a triathlon next week and I may just do it in my fastskin.

Does anyone else feel frustrated when trying a wetsuit if most of their training is in the pool?

aquaFeisty
July 5th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Yes, swimming in a wetsuit does not feel at all like swimming in a swimsuit. The wetsuit makes you more buoyant (especially your legs if it is a long-leg wetsuit), which can easily make your kick feel 'off'. It also affects the location of your center of gravity?/buoyancy?, pushing it down your torso.

I'd try to do a few practices in the wetsuit before doing the tri. Our team consists of a mix of competitive swimmers, triathletes and fitness swimmers (and people that are a combo of all three). We have open water practices outdoors once a week in the summer and a lot of the triathletes use these practices specifically to work on sighting and swimming in the wetsuit. Also, practicing in the wetsuit can help remind you where to liberally apply the Bodyglide to keep as much skin as possible on your body during the race. :)

rtodd
July 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM
It is a sleevless wetsuit and I cut the lower legs off and it really helps restoring normal kick mechanics. I think this is the best setup for me. The water is not cold, so I only need boyancy in the torso and upper legs.

I could not imagine swimming in a full suit. I guess it is something you just need to practice. The feel is completely different with and without a suit. With the suit it just feels like a pull set with dead legs.

Frank Thompson
July 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by rtodd
I've been swimming regularly in the pool for amost a year. The last time I wore a wetsuit was in August of 2005. Here it is almost a year later and I wore it for the first time.

I had great difficulty trying to get my kick into any sort of rythym. The movement of my legs seemed restricted. I also had trouble with the added boyancy. It also seemed to interfere with my balance and kick and also restricted my normal breathing.

The suit may be a bit small, but it is not too small. I just think that I am having trouble making the adjustment.

I have a triathlon next week and I may just do it in my fastskin.

Does anyone else feel frustrated when trying a wetsuit if most of their training is in the pool?

Why where a wetsuit if it makes your swimming uncomfortable? Is it because you would be giving up a competitive advantage by not wearing one? Is it because the water is cold? I have heard that at some triathlons they do not let the swimmers wear a wetsuit if the water temperature is above 77 degrees or something. I could see in the total mix of things why wearing wetsuit would be advantagous and that if you didn't wear one you would look foolish. One of the triathletes that I know says that you do not use your legs as much as you do in the pool because you have to save them for the bike and run. So the kick becomes not important and the extra boyancy from the wetsuit compensates for this weakness in balance, kicking, and normal breathing.

rtodd
July 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
That's a real good point about keeping the legs fresh. I never thought of that. I am doing a team event, so I will only be swimming. I wonder if I would be faster without the suit and maximize my kick. It is only 500m, so the kick is important.

I have no experience in knowing if a suit would be faster over that distance. It is difficult to do a hard comparison because my pool is kept too warm to even try a suit. I think with the lower legs cut off, I have a good suit for this distance.

The other observation I've made in some traithlons, water temperature permitting, is that some of the first people out of the water don't have a suit.