RANT to your hearts content about aspects of
SWIMMING and SWIMMERS that bug YOU

I encourage you to be good natured and hilarious

you may find it cathartic

Ande

aquageek
July 5th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Ooh, a topic near and dear to my heart.

First, I'd like to rant against people who take off band-aids in the pool and leave them floating around. Gross.

Second, I'd like to rail against people who put sweaty gym clothes in the swimsuit spinner to dry them out. Nasty.

Third, I'd like to petition against folks on this board who state all that is wrong with USMS but aren't members. Annoying.

I feel better now, cleansed.

jean sterling
July 5th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by aquageek
Ooh, a topic near and dear to my heart.

Second, I'd like to rail against people who put sweaty gym clothes in the swimsuit spinner to dry them out. Nasty.

I feel better now, cleansed.

The swimsuit spinner in my locker room has a sign on it saying that it is for swim suits and not to put trash in it. Apparently some people mistook its function.

dorothyrde
July 5th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Really, people do that with the spinner, ewwwww.

A.K.
July 5th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Pool personnel cleaning the pool and missing the large ball of hair that floats by making you think there is an eclipse.

Noodler instructors moving the pace clock mid-set.

Not being able to practice starts even though we could probably still do one in a 3-foot pool, pike dive no less.

scyfreestyler
July 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM
People who can't swim straight annoy me. Lane hogs.

People who give piss poor swimming advice to other swimmers annoy me. All too often I hear people in nearby lanes giving advice to other swimmers that is not worthy of repeating. I am sure these people mean well and they think they know what they are talking about, but everybody would be much better off if they just kept it to themselves. A most recent example was to lead the pull with your elbow, the faster your arm moves through the water the faster you will go. :rolleyes:

People who hold their suits in the spinner for 30 seconds. In my experience, a quick 5 second spin works quite well and more time only serves to annoy those waiting behind you.

Sydney
July 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM
People who try to race you during the drill set. Or those who don't understand yet that going ALL OUT for every single set (including the recovery ones) won't make them faster in the long run.

aquaFeisty
July 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Oh AMEN to the people not leaving the full 5 seconds behind you! It sucks when you're constantly getting your toes tapped!

thewookiee
July 5th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I always love the people(one's that don't swim well) that push off the wall, right as you are doing a flip turn.
One would think that they would wait til you either stopped or pushed off before they do, but nope.

nkfrench
July 5th, 2006, 04:10 PM
So many pet peeves ... one that comes to mind is when we're doing a 10 x _ _ _ kind of set and on the first few repeats somebody a little faster than me will just blow me away while I kill myself trying to stay in it. Then, I start to narrow the gap and when I think I have finally ground them down over the long set and will "win", they get out and leave ! Either they didn't want to get caught by me, or the reason they were going so fast was because they knew they were only doing a part of the set/workout anyhow.

A variation is when they sit out a repeat and put on fins.

nkfrench
July 5th, 2006, 04:51 PM
We'll be doing some kind of short-rest "benchmark" set to show progress from one month to the next. Mid-set, the person in front of me will wait until it's his turn to start a repeat, will hesitate for 5-10 seconds (blowing my send-off) and then decide to sit out the repeat. Or he decides to swim breastroke as a recovery repeat mid-set but still goes in front in a 6'-wide lane.

scyfreestyler
July 5th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Fins are one of my biggest annoyances. You know the type, they swim sans fins for a few hundred, come in panting to the wall, put on some fins, and then leave the wall every time I do. Arggg!
It is quite satisfying to keep up with or pass somebody using fins though...that makes it all worthwhile.

nkfrench
July 5th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I'm on a roll...

How about the lanemates that seem to have raw garlic and onions every day for lunch, or have gum disease ?

scyfreestyler
July 5th, 2006, 04:57 PM
How about the large and fast swimmers who create a huge wake forcing me into the lane rope? Now that is annoying!

Or how about when your stuff gets stolen in the locker room? :eek:

knelson
July 5th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by nkfrench
Mid-set, the person in front of me will wait until it's his turn to start a repeat, will hesitate for 5-10 seconds (blowing my send-off) and then decide to sit out the repeat.

Obviously he's waiting for you to take over the lead so he can then draft off you for a while! Actually, by you not going on your sendoff, you're the one messing up his set ;)

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 5th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I hate people cutting through the middle of the pool. I always inform them that there is a reason why there are lap lanes. I makes me so mad, that I'm mad now just thinking about it.

TheGoodSmith
July 5th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Middle aged people who workout for more than an hour a day 4-5 days a week.

Get a life !

John Smith

scyfreestyler
July 5th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by TheGoodSmith

Get a life !

John Smith

:D

gull
July 5th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Middle aged people who don't need to work out more than an hour a day 4-5 days a week to swim extremely fast.

knelson
July 5th, 2006, 05:41 PM

People who can swim incredibly fast despite working out less than 4-5 days a week for an hour or less :D

Dang, beat by gull by one minute!

gull
July 5th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Yeah, but I didn't include a smiley face.

dvarner
July 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Dry Hair People.

Kinda like no-sweat running, no out-of-breath anything. What's the point? Where's the joy?

DV

Peter Cruise
July 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM
My pet peeve about swimming posts on a different website now.

dorothyrde
July 5th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I think the only thing that really annoys me is the very heavily perfumed person next to me. That stuff gets in my mouth, my lungs, gah. Who needs perfume to go to the pool?

jean sterling
July 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by A.K.

Noodler instructors moving the pace clock mid-set.

We had a noodler instructor who used to yank the cord on the pace clock, so she could plug in her boom box. I'd finish a 50 or 100 in a set and would wonder if I was really that fast, or, even worse, could I possibly have been that slow. Finally a swimmer told the noodle instructor if she unplugged the pace clock again that she (the swimmer) would yank the cord on the boom box.

Matt S
July 5th, 2006, 08:58 PM
- Aerobocops that swim every workout like someone offered them $5 to finish early. (You know the type, they shorten every interval to almost touch and go, for them, impossible for everyone else in the lane, AND spend even less time on the wall in between sets.)

- People who think drill sets are their chance to keep up with the faster lane's interval.

- People who shorten the interval, then quit mid-set because even they can't keep up on that pace.

- My fins rubbing abbrasions into my feet, and I have to wear duct tape on the sore to let it heal.

- Sharp lane lines (OW!)

- Clock-watching, pushey lifeguards ("GET OUT NOW! I gotta a date tonight!")

- People who kvetch and complain and ask for changes, at the last minute, for major meets when they were no where to be found months ago when their comments could have made a difference, and when they could have contributed to organizing the meet.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to gripe in another discussion thread about the FINA site being down and my inability to see the psych sheets for Worlds.

Matt

A.K.
July 5th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by jean sterling
We had a noodler instructor who used to yank the cord on the pace clock, so she could plug in her boom box. I'd finish a 50 or 100 in a set and would wonder if I was really that fast, or, even worse, could I possibly have been that slow. Finally a swimmer told the noodle instructor if she unplugged the pace clock again that she (the swimmer) would yank the cord on the boom box.

The Noodle instructor would put on this coma music and drag us down, so the next day I tried to switch her radio to a high energy rock station, unfortunately it would not pick it up.

Another pool where I occasionally swim, the Noodle Instructor puts on bad 70s-80s disco- I almost drowned from laughing while swimming. Picture a pod of 12 400+ pounders aqua dancing to Village People's YMCA

jean sterling
July 5th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by A.K.
Another pool where I occasionally swim, the Noodle Instructor puts on bad 70s-80s disco- I almost drowned from laughing while swimming. Picture a pod of 12 400+ pounders aqua dancing to Village People's YMCA

Sure beats some of the music our noodlers exerise to. Talk about sleep inducing!!

flipper79
July 5th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Swimming and looking out at bandaids in your lane. Sharp (broken) lane lines.

ande
July 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Here's several of mine

I don't like to swim next to walls
My hand hits the wall underwater on my freestyle outsweep and there's no lane line to pull on in backstroke
My hand sometimes hits objects on the side of pool above the water

skinny lanes

W A V Y pools

smacking hands above the rope

missing a taper

people who I swim faster than in practice who whup me in meets

getting slower

training partners and friends moving away

dorothyrde
July 6th, 2006, 10:26 AM
People who circle swim when they don't have to and nobody else is. Finally had to swim into a guy this morning that kept crossing into my lane because he was doing that. The other fellow that he kept crossing lanes into just looked at him, like, what the heck is he doing.

Frank Thompson
July 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Get a life !

John Smith

Aren't we being a little sensitive here. I work out about 90 minutes 5-6 days a week and think I have a life. In fact I know I have a life compared to the Triathletes that workout a lot more than me.

meldyck
July 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get a life !

John Smith
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since my ancestors evolved from the sea creatures, water IS my life. My pet peeve is those land creatures who feel that they have to crawl out of the motherland to scurry off to do some highly important task for a pittance!

-- mel

aquageek
July 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Get a life !

I guess I could sit on my backside and eat cheetos and get blubbery like 2/3 of the rest of Americans. But, I prefer the gym and pool to that.

Dobbie
July 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
When swimmers hang on lane ropes bewteen intervals and push them into the path of other swimmers hands.
When you get 7 in a lane and some turkeys wont go less than the 5 sec gap but keep forcing the lead guy up the last ones tail.
People who fudge their drills.

dorothyrde
July 6th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Get a life !

John Smith

I do my more than an hour a day early in the morning, so I can have a life!

Dobbie
July 6th, 2006, 02:02 PM
It is quite satisfying to keep up with or pass somebody using fins though...that makes it all worthwhile.

I also enjoy overtaking a freestyler while doing backstroke .

knelson
July 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by ande
I don't like to swim next to walls

Me either. I remember a particularly bad outside lane to swim in. This was in a L-shaped 50 m pool in the lane next to the diving well. There was a lane line demarcing where the lane ended and the diving well began, but it was about a foot in from the corner of the L. I was always freaked out I would run right into that corner while doing backstroke!

Frank Thompson
July 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Kirk:

Is that the Michigan State outdoor pool you are referring to. We had a masters meet there about 2 weeks ago and I remember it being L shaped and you going to school there.

ande
July 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
people who won't let you pass
or
make it difficult to pass
as you are about to lap them

people who sit on lane ropes

hofffam
July 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
People who drive their Camry in the left lane going slow....

Oh yeah - this is about swimming.

OK - how about hot pools (say 84 deg F).

Racing against people that haven't taken 25 years off.

Jeff Commings
July 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM
people who I swim faster than in practice who whup me in meets
Is this a rant against you? Or the people who are not good workout swimmers?

dvarner
July 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Bad imitations of successful pool designs.

At the Dad's Club in Houston, they built a bad copy of the Mexico City Olympic pool. The Mexico pool had a molded plastic screen in front of some very deep gutters, so water was shaved off and then dropped into oblivion, producing a fast result for the era. At the Dad's Club, someone saved some money and used shallow gutters and -get this - a perforated metal screen. The holes were about pinky sized. Woe to those whose wingspan wandered.

DV

dorothyrde
July 6th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by hofffam
People who drive their Camry in the left lane going slow....

Oh yeah - this is about swimming.

OK - how about hot pools (say 84 deg F).

Racing against people that haven't taken 25 years off.

In Illinois it is now illegal to drive slow in the left lane.

Rowdy
July 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by dorothyrde
I think the only thing that really annoys me is the very heavily perfumed person next to me. That stuff gets in my mouth, my lungs, gah. Who needs perfume to go to the pool?

Last night I started to gag when somebody got in the pool. I would have preferred the fuel taste from the planes flying over head or boat fumes. Mmmmm diesel.

globuggie
July 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Swimmers who come to practice, are perfectly capable of doing the entire practice, and choose to slack off, making it impossible for those of us who actually want to work hard to do so.

geochuck
July 7th, 2006, 09:49 AM
You would hate me in a practice globugie when I swim I stop quite often, but make sure I am out of the way.

globuggie
July 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM
I don't mind the people who stop more often and try to stay out of the way as much as possible. What bugs me is the swimmers who stop in the middle of the pool during a 50 to fix their hair or goggles, getting in the way of everyone behind them, or the ones who swim slowly during a sprint set (like 25's on the 1:00) because they can still make the interval, or many other things of that nature. Fortunately, these swimmers are less common in Master's than in other swimming groups

Dennis Tesch
July 7th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Ok, I have jump in on this one. Many of your comments are making my laugh out loud. I'm glad I'm in my own office with no one around. Here's my list in no specific order.

1. I really hate butt suckers (drafters) who draft all the time. I don't mind someone drafting from time to time, but every set!!!

2. People who dive into the pool in the shallow end where it says "no diving". I'm waiting for our first neck injury :(

3. Lazy ass coaches that sit on deck and don't help the swimmers.

4. Coaches that make forever lasting announcements. Fine tell us about the meet, but I don't care about the concert coming up, or who had the latest baby, or why you think George Bush is whatever.... Give me the next set and lets get going.

5. Lap swimmers who expect their own lane!!!!

6. Facility directors who don't help promote your program, or better yet, those directors who really have no idea what your program is about. :confused:

7. Pools that don't have Masters programs :eek:

8. Probably one of my biggest pet peeves is when triathletes and/or fitness swimmers who change a sprint set to an aerobic set because there is too much rest between swims. I try and try to explain what sprinting every once and while can do to help improve their swimming, but alas...... there is just too much rest coach:mad:

geochuck
July 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Dennis those go without saying, I agree with all. Order of 3 and 4 should be 1. & 2. - #1 is a givin when swimming circles. the rest fit in well

knelson
July 7th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Frank Thompson
Kirk:

Is that the Michigan State outdoor pool you are referring to. We had a masters meet there about 2 weeks ago and I remember it being L shaped and you going to school there.

That's the one. I think they finally fixed that problem, though. That pool is actually 55 yards long, by the way (which is 50.29 meters).

Glad you made it to the meet. One of my old college teammates, Mark Lisenby, organizes it. I hope they continue to do it bacause I'd like to swim in it some year.

ande
July 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Have you ever been adjusting your googles then they slip out of your fingers and POP you in the eye?
OUCH

Swimmers who are sick and contagious who show up for practice anyway and infect their lane mates

globuggie
July 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM
One thing that can be annoying (or can be fun if you want it to be) is pools with weird lengths. They're building a water park near me with several 60-yard lap lanes! C'mon, just make it 50 meters, it's about 5 1/2 yards shorter! The fitness swimmers won't even notice the difference, and it'll be so much easier for the real competitive swimmers.

LindsayNB
July 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
smacking hands above the rope

I hate workout groups that make every lane circle in the same direction (as per the diagram on USMS) so that you are ALWAYS swimming with people on either side that are swimming in the opposite direction instead of the much more sensible circling in alternating directions so the people on the other side of the lane rope are swimming in the same direction as you, thereby greatly reducing the likelyhood and severity of colliding hands.

nkfrench
July 7th, 2006, 06:37 PM
But if you alternate clockwise in one lane, counter clockwise in the next ... you can end up swimming right next to somebody for the entire length (can be painful if they breaststroke kick below the lanerope, recover their hands over your lane, etc).

At least when everybody circles the same way you only have somebody next to you for a second or so.

The only time we alternate which way we circle is when we are outdoors and only put in half the ropes.

LindsayNB
July 7th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Although people with a wide breaststroke kick are a menace under any system I can see your point wrt breaststroke. For freestyle however I have never had a problem with an adjacent swimmer going in the same direction. On the other hand I have some actual scars to remind me of watch-wearing freestyle swimmers swimming the opposite way.

Speaking of only putting in every second lane line, as someone who likes swimming butterfly I actually prefer the double lanes to individual lanes as it reduces arm collisions drastically. It also lets you move away a bit if you end up next to a breaststroker. The downside of course is the extra waves.

In any case, it nice to know there is some rationale for the every lane in the same direction approach. ;)

Dobbie
July 8th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Lazy ass coaches that sit on deck and don't help the swimmers.

Couldn't agree more....particularly coaches of kids squads...what's the point if they write a set and walk up and down?

Matt S
July 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Lindsay,

I disagree. The main reason we swim on the right all the time (and the Aussies swim on the left) is that is what people are used to doing without thinking about it. The last thing I want to have to do in the middle of a hard aerobic set is remember if I'm in a left or right lane today (and when I'm leading, at what point the trailer has past and it's safe to cheat over to the...was it right or left side again? to avoid the drafting swimming right on my kiester). Just like driving, do it the same way every time and there is less chance of an accident.

Matt

Dobbie
July 8th, 2006, 10:47 PM
I've come to the conclusion that training all the time in one direction is short sighted and mindless.We all know the benefits of working each side of our bodies equally and yet we spend years doing flip turns and twisting on the same side.Going in one direction over and over builds the hips and back up more on one side and places excess stress on one foot more than the other.

ande
July 10th, 2006, 10:16 AM
I hate it when I breathe water or swallow water while I'm training, today I pushed off the wall and breathed at just the right instant for a wave to crash in my mouth, I almost choked, but swallowed instead

not a fan

ande

Sonic Swimmer78
July 10th, 2006, 12:11 PM
All of these replies are so funny!

I hate wall lanes, which explains why I got DQ'd on my 100 Breast two weeks ago.

I love Lane 5 when it's free to swim in. ...okay, that wasn't called for, my bad. I don't mind sharing lanes with someone, especially when a cute female swimmer comes by and asks if she can share lanes with me. For the ladies, anytime!!

Poorly kept city pools: Y'know the ones I'm talking about. Cloudy water, band-aids floating about and the occasional diaper. ...Yes, you heard me, *DIAPER*! There's a story behind the diaper...

a few years back, a friend and I were going to go lap swimming, but our usual pool was closed for maintainance (a good thing, *VERY* good thing) so we decided to swim at one of the city pools here in town. We didn't mind the cloudy water that much until my friend had a close encounter of the diaper kind. We were so repulsed, that we left the pool, showered at *HER* place and had our lunch a little bit later than expected because the thought was still fresh. *EWWWWW!!!! NAAAAASTY!!!!!*

People who blow their snot into the pool's gutter. That's just *SICK* (The same applies when you're using the pool's showers)

Cancelled Swim Meets: WHY?!?! *irritated*

geochuck
July 10th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I got $200 off my next trip to an all inclusive hotel in Mexico after finding a diaper in the pool at the hotel. My rant at the hotel paid off.

Trinubntraining
July 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM
a pool with no lane ropes or lane lines

a pool where you're the only one swimming laps and everyone stares at you

getting overtaken by someone who first hits you in head around the ear and then kicks you just below the lip on your chin, and then that same person subsequently acting as if nothing happened!!

FindingMyInnerFish
July 10th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Trinubntraining
a pool with no lane ropes or lane lines

a pool where you're the only one swimming laps and everyone stares at you

getting overtaken by someone who first hits you in head around the ear and then kicks you just below the lip on your chin, and then that same person subsequently acting as if nothing happened!!

:eek: Sounds like a person with serious issues... [quick side note--I'm in the Philly area too! Watched the '06 Oly. tri, which unfortunately had the swim cancelled due to debris in the river...don't know if that included diapers, but lots of stuff you could hit your head on... hoping it's better for you guys next year]

My addition: a long while back, I swam in a pool divided for lap and open/rec swimming. That wouldn't have been a big deal, except that often people didn't respect the boundaries. For instance, I once had to work my way around two women who were just standing in a lap lane chitchatting and not moving aside so people could <ahem... excuse me?> .... um... swim? I seem to remember too that they weren't even all that apologetic when reminded that it was a lap swimming lane. But since it was a long time ago, I could be remembering that part wrong.

Peter Cruise
July 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Based upon past threads like these, we're about due for someone new to the forums to denounce us all for being hateful, intolerant people and promise to never darken our door again.

knelson
July 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I thought of one that happened yesterday: when the lane lines are not tight enough and the swimmers in the next lane cause your lane to shrink to about half its normal size.

chickadee
July 10th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Pet Peeves...is this like confession?

Having the aquatic director send everyone to talk to me about the Master Swim Team while I am trying to get a workout in...

Band aids, hair elastics, drawstrings, barrettes etc in the lane - I have to do a clean up lap to start...

Aquacise instructors that encourage the class to make extra waves for the lap swimmers...and trust me this group can generate waves...jokes on them I pretend I am open water swimming.

Aqua classes that end late at night and the guards take their sweet time to put in the lanes

Swim instructors who use the lap lane times to offer private kiddie swim lessons...we have discovered a few laps of butterfly sends them to the other pool.

Lousy Coaches who dismiss you because you didnt swim competitively as a fetus...

Wonderful coaches who inspire you but who move away for a better job ....:(

Peter Cruise
July 10th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Kirk- if lane lines are too loose just get everyone in your land to do butterfly or breastroke- that will whip the rope back into the path of the next lane.

aquaFeisty
July 10th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Swim suit hickeys!

The kind you get from wearing the wide-strapped suit on 4x1000 freestyle day... then takes forever for it to go away...

A.K.
July 10th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
Kirk- if lane lines are too loose just get everyone in your land to do butterfly or breastroke- that will whip the rope back into the path of the next lane.

I'll hand tighten the ropes or ask the guard for pliers or a wrench. Usually a few clicks by hand tightening does the trick.

If they don't tighten enough and there are no available tools to help, swim close to the lane rope to get it back over.

Back to the thread.

We've actually had to get out because the chlorine was "too high". I think the guards pulled a fast one when they used this one :)

Rowdy
July 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM
No backstroke flags in the 50m outdoor pool we swim in for the summer.

Switching back and forth between short course and long course all summer. Those early morning practices seem to have an extra level of difficulty some times: 800 warm up. Is that 16 or 32 today?:confused:

ande
July 10th, 2006, 07:50 PM
no backstroke flags is annoying
discovering there are no backstroke flags by crashing into the wall at full spend is painful

there's also touching the wall so hard you sprain or break a finger like when neil walker broke his finger on the wall at the 1997 NCAA's when he was blazing fast

trying to keep count on longer swims, anything above a 250

another rant is
when you're swimming second in your lane enjoying a great draft on the swimmer who's leading, then you catch them, tap their toes and now they insist you now lead the lane, which causes you to lose the draft you were enjoying and now the work begins

also my fellow ranters please feel free to provide solutions to each of your RANTS

ande

Originally posted by Rowdy
No backstroke flags in the 50m outdoor pool we swim in for the summer.

Switching back and forth between short course and long course all summer. Those early morning practices seem to have an extra level of difficulty some times: 800 warm up. Is that 16 or 32 today?:confused:

Sabretooth Tiger
July 10th, 2006, 08:13 PM
[i]also my fellow ranters please feel free to provide solutions to each of your RANTS

ande [/B]

Ah, but then you move the premise from a cathartic bitch session to constructive problem solving . . . a sure way to kill a discussion. :D

ande
July 10th, 2006, 08:19 PM
true, should I delete it?

though it might be an excellent opportunity to write more funny stuff

ande

Originally posted by Sabretooth Tiger
Ah, but then you move the premise from a cathartic bitch session to constructive problem solving . . . a sure way to kill a discussion. :D

nkfrench
July 11th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Poorly kept city pools: Y'know the ones I'm talking about. Cloudy water, band-aids floating about and the occasional diaper. ...Yes, you heard me, *DIAPER*! There's a story behind the diaper...

One fine summer morning we were getting ready to get in for morning practice and our young Masters coach spotted something floating in the water. He bent over, picked it up and asked, "What's this ?"

One of our older daddy types said, "It's a diaper"

Coach dropped it and squealed "Eek!" along with a big cringe. He was horrified. That was really funny to watch. "It's not radioactive, Coach, it's just a diaper".

My rant - the hoodlums that climb the tall fence (w/ barbed wire) and trash the outdoor pool overnight so when you arrive there are filthy trash cans, all the pool furniture, and the full lane rope reels in the pool. Instead of a swim practice you're going to help pull the flotsam/jetsam out of the water and make sure that the laneropes and reel you did the fundraiser to buy aren't broken.

geochuck
July 11th, 2006, 01:29 AM
I had a swim school in Burlington Ontario. It was an outdoor pool and to my surprise I came to the pool at night and caught 2 grown men swimming in the pool they climbed the fence. To my surprise it was the 2 priests from our church. One of them became the bishop of Calgary Alberta, they said they hoped I didn't mind but it was a very hot night. I really did not mind.

craiglll@yahoo.com
July 11th, 2006, 10:14 AM
I have been warned by this woman who does a head up breast stroke that I had better start to behave or she was going to take matters into her own hands. she said that she has complained to the lifeguards several times that since I swim faster than anyone else in the pool (can you believe that!) I cause waves that disrupt the regular flow of the water. She is really nuts. seh claims that every one at the pool dislikes it when I swim there because I cause so many prolbems with the water. I have one simple little phrase for her.

Rowdy
July 11th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
I have been warned by this woman who does a head up breast stroke that I had better start to behave or she was going to take matters into her own hands. she said that she has complained to the lifeguards several times that since I swim faster than anyone else in the pool (can you believe that!) I cause waves that disrupt the regular flow of the water. She is really nuts. seh claims that every one at the pool dislikes it when I swim there because I cause so many prolbems with the water. I have one simple little phrase for her.

Hmmmm, wonder what that phrase is?

ande
September 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM
thought I'd resurrect this thread
please feel free to ADD your latest RANTS

today I want to RANT ABOUT the species of swimmer I call

EAGER BEAVER EARLY LEAVERS

these are the swimmers (who swim in the lane next to mine, or one or two over) who are always in a hurry to begin the next set.

When we're about to begin a new set and the clock is on :10

Our lane will decide to go on the top, but
the E.B.E.L.s will leave on the bottom
since we swim on faster intervals we usually reel them in during the set

EBEL's tend to dive in early or on time for warm up and tend to swim warm up at a faster pace.

There's also the individual E.B.E.L.'s who habitually pushes off early. If we're supposed to leave on the top, it's a safe bet that an EBEL will push off on the 57 or 58, but when we're doing fast swims, even though they left early, they base their times like they left when they should have. It's also not good to have an EBEL swimming behind you, capturing a greater draft.

do you know any EAGER BEAVER EARLY LEAVERs?
are you an EAGER BEAVER EARLY LEAVERs?
if you are one, I beg you to repent and change your ways.

Ande

nkfrench
September 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I know one who does this kind of stuff: The coach will say "OK, the next set is 5 x 100 ... " and our E.B.E.L. takes off ... as the coach finishes "backstroke catchup drill no fins with x seconds rest".

chaos
September 20th, 2006, 01:59 PM
how about aquatic directors that don't provide access to the pool deck until about ten seconds before our scheduled session!
(are we supposed to stretch in the slimy locker room?!)

lapswimmr
September 21st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Band Aids on the bottom and hair balls rate pretty high on my list.
Also people who play and hog the lap lanes when the pool is busy and theres lots of room in the shallow end. Swimmers who swim laps dont bother me. Cold water in the showers, yucky puddles standing on the floors now and then. and oh yes.. the one thing I really find GROSS.. people who leave ..gasp.. gag.. !
Q-Tips laying on the locker room floor.. That last one is my #1 rant!

aquageek
September 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by lapswimmr
Q-Tips laying on the locker room floor.. That last one is my #1 rant!

That may take the prize, truly nasty.

I was in Hartford, CT for a few weeks and used their downtown Y to swim. Every afternoon there was a dude who would be in the shower before and after I swam avidly sudsing his body. It was very bizarre. Needless to say I didn't take a shower at that Y but went right back to my hotel.

proberts
September 22nd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Pools that are 95 degrees like the one I swim at has been for the last few days...the water aerobics class complains so the pool guy turns up the heat. Seriously it was 95 degrees, I cannot do a swim workout at 95 degrees. The heat goes down to 78 ( perfect) and they act like they are swimming in ice water, so up it goes again. I feel better.

KaizenSwimmer
September 22nd, 2006, 06:18 PM
I thought EBEL referred to the triathletes who want to practice drafting on every repeat throughout workout, always leave the wall on the heels of the swimmer ahead of them - max 3 seconds behind. I'm far more annoyed by that as I like to leave as much space as possible both in front of and behind me, to swim with as little distraction as possible.

I AM the other kind of EBEL, but I don't see why it should bother anyone else if I:

- begin the warmup early if possible -- so I have the time to warm up fully and without feeling hurried (never at high speed.)

- start a repeat or set 10 seconds before the group -- so I have the space to swim without someone on my feet

- keep swimming easily between sets (or between repeats on longer rest stuff -- because at 55 I recover more fully with active rest than passive rest.

swimr4life
September 22nd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Swimmers that wear fins for the whole workout.

Swimmers that cruise through a set to save up and sprint for the last repeat. REALLY irritates me...but actually probably helps me! I know they'll do it so it makes me push even harder at the end of the set when I'm hurting! Maybe I should be thankful they do that? It just makes me mad!
;)

People leaving early when we are doing timed sets or best average sets.

There...I feel all better now!
:cool:

ande
September 29th, 2006, 10:24 AM
These recent rants are excellent!

here's my rant for today

I absolutely hate it when I tie my swim suit tight and then attempt untie the bow, wind up with a knot, it's not like you can get someone to volunteer to help you undo the knot

ande

scyfreestyler
September 29th, 2006, 12:44 PM
it's not like you can get someone to volunteer to help you undo the knot

ande

Why not? ;)

I can't think of anything to rant about aside from my schedule being so busy I am only swimming twice a week. Swam last night at my new location, where the age groupers are swimming, and the outside temp was about 55 F. I can't begin to explain how much better it feels to swim a workout in cold air as opposed to a stuffy indoor pool. I might be back here ranting when it starts raining and drops to the low 40's.

thewookiee
September 29th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Here is my rant for the day.

When swimming on your own, in a crowded lap lane, someone stops you and asks" Are you finished or about finished? How much longer do you have left"
It seems like it is ok for people to stop lap swimmers and interrupt their workouts. Yet, people wouldn't interrupt people running on treadmills or in the middle of lifting weights(while they are in mid lift) to ask them how much longer they had left.

quicksilver
September 29th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Why not? ;)

...if the guy in the next lane asked you to undo his knot... The rant to end all rants.

scyfreestyler
September 29th, 2006, 08:52 PM
...if the guy in the next lane asked you to undo his knot... The rant to end all rants.

I would laugh my arse off if that happened.

What I was reffering to was a fellow swimmer of the OPPOSITE sex.

geochuck
September 29th, 2006, 09:42 PM
What is strange about asking the guy in the next lane to untie the knot. I had the world record holder tie my trunks up before a 100. I told him I could not control my fingers enough to tie it up (I pretended to be shaking). He tied it up then I told him if I beat you to the turn you have had it, he lost his temper and started swearing at me. He beat me to the first turn and led the race for 90m but he came in second and I came first. So I think you should ask the guy in the next lane.

quicksilver
September 29th, 2006, 10:40 PM
This could be worthy as one of the Top 10 "Swim Faster Faster" tips.

...definitely a unique strategy.

geochuck
September 29th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I would tell you the guys name but he is still alive he is also a hall of fame swimmer. It worked for sure his coach never spoke to me again.

quicksilver
September 30th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Don Schollander?

geochuck
September 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Not Don I had meet him and was at swim meets that he was in (he was an age grouper) we never competed against each other.

However even if you guessed like in the movie Don't Say A Word with Mike Douglas "I'll never tell" untill he passes and who knows I might get to the big pool in the ski before he does.

quicksilver
September 30th, 2006, 12:06 PM
http://www.ishof.org/91rcleveland.html

Did you ever race this guy? He would appear to be one of your contemporaries.

geochuck
September 30th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I raced him a few times he was a great swimmer. Raced him at Yale University pool never able to beat him but had beaten John Devitt from Australia a couple of times. It was not him either. Richard I believe liked golf better then swimming.

quicksilver
September 30th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Alright I give up. But I bet you knew this guy too...

http://www.ishof.org/70jmclane.html

geochuck
September 30th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Jimmy McLane a great 1500m swimmer. We were both at the 1955 Pan Am Games together. I swam the 100m came second to Clarke Scholes. Jimmy did something unusual there, Mexico City is 7000+feet above sea level. During the 1500m swim he breathed every stroke, when rt arm entered he would breathe on the left, when the left hand entered he breathed on the right. I had never seen any one else do this. Another friend of mine was http://www.ishof.org/73jmarshall.html he died in a car accident after the 1956 Olympics.

geochuck
September 30th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Breaststrokers who can't really swim breaststroke in my lane kicking me when they are going in the opposite direction.

quicksilver
September 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM
The competitive swimmer's nightmare.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5288134348632408410&q=senior+swimming&hl=en

jean sterling
September 30th, 2006, 06:10 PM
The competitive swimmer's nightmare.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5288134348632408410&q=senior+swimming&hl=en

FUNNY!! But not so funny if she was in my lane.

geochuck
September 30th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Last time I went to a masters practice I think they placed her in my lane.

lapswimmr
September 30th, 2006, 10:18 PM
And really not so funny when someone looking like her in the flower cap blows by you wearing fins...Hmmm.. LOL

FindingMyInnerFish
September 30th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Not a rant but an upcoming "humble pie" meal: when I first began doing swim workouts at my Y, there was a woman who could barely swim, never mind swim laps. She took lessons, and now she's not far behind me. I'm waiting for the day she breezes by me. She's not, however, wearing a floral cap. I want to see where I can get one of those! Will make me easy to spot in open water if I ever get into trouble! :joker:

geochuck
October 1st, 2006, 02:34 PM
If she sees you wearing a hat like that she will want one.

Ian Smith
October 1st, 2006, 02:54 PM
related to being kicked by adjacent breaststrokers....

Having to expain to your wife that those scratches on your back are really from the backstroker in the next lane.

The Fortress
October 1st, 2006, 09:01 PM
People who constantly criticize people who have to use fins or give them that "look." I have run into so many folks who think "real" swimming can only be done without fins and scorn even limited use of fins, which seem to have some real value when used to strengthen the core or in drills. I have to use fins a majority of my workouts, especially for fly and free, because I have awful, cranky rotator cuffs loaded with scar tissue and loose cartilege from my youth and I do not choose to have surgery. I realize it gives me artficial speed during practice, but I am tired of people making me feel bad about using fins. I see people dragging out those huge paddles all the time and I don't complain. I don't use paddles and I just let them go ahead. Besides, fin use doesn't seem to hinder me unduly in my own racing. I'm doing just fine as a achy shoulder fin addict. Leslie

swimr4life
October 2nd, 2006, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=swimr4life;63572]Swimmers that wear fins for the whole workout.

Leslie, Let me clarify that.....Swimmers THAT DON'T HAVE SHOULDER PROBLEMS that use fins for the whole workout!

I had shoulder surgery years ago and had to use fins a lot in my rehab. I had to slowly build my shoulder back....very painful and took a long time. I know how frustrating a painful shoulder is! If my comment offended you, I'm sorry.

chickadee
October 2nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Having to leave in the middle of a 5 am workout to call home because you can't remember if you re-set the alarm for your hubby - did it this am.
Having to go all the way to the front lobby to use a phone because the swim office doesnt open til 6:30am -
Having to cover up per Y policy while you run to the front lobby - wouldnt want to offend the spandex crowd in the exercise room....:rolleyes:

And re the "flower cap" in the earlier rants - I believe I saw one in the Kastway catalog, thougth of getting it for a team mate...

The Fortress
October 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Nah, I've grown a tough skin. But I am afraid to take off my fins. I did it a couple times last year, and, after pounding out a long freestyle set or springing fly, both times I came down with very painful rotator cuff tendonitis. Physical therapy didn't work for me. I finally got better using ART therapy. Now I can do more butterfly. But I'm scared to leave my fins on the edge of the pool. I'm glad you recovered from your shoulder problems. I know some people that just don't after surgery. Leslie

aquageek
October 3rd, 2006, 09:54 AM
Is the theory behind using fins that it causes you to use your arms less and thus reduces your chance of shoulder injury?

nkfrench
October 3rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
I have a nonpropulsive kick when barefoot. With the fins I have motivation to use the legs as they now accomplish something noticeable. The kick eliminates "dead spots" in my stroke and help with rotation so my hands can get to a good catch position quickly. The good catch (not pressing down flat on the water) is important. I also get a more balanced stroke using more than just my arms and torso to swim. Even if I don't kick much, the "longer feet" change my height:width proportions and provide a rudder (evident when pulling backstroke w/ fins left on)

The Fortress
October 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM
Yes, fins keeps your hips up and in correct position and noticeably take the pressure off your shoulders. They help me hold my form better during long sets and I can actually swim fly without my rotator cuff muscles swelling right up. Also, if you use the fins to actually kick hard (as opposed to just floating along the surface) it really ramps the cardio workout up. They are also useful for practicing dolphin kicks off the wall and doing certain drills. Mostly, though, I just consider them shoulder savers. After two bouts of horrific tendonitis last year, I would like to have a pain free year in the water. Leslie

geochuck
October 3rd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Leslie can you swim in a meet with the fins now that could be an advantage.

The Fortress
October 3rd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Don't I wish. But I do OK in meets without them. I try to take them off more before a meet. In either Japan or China, can't remember which, monofin swimming is a separate sport. Leslie

ljodpundari
October 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM
There's one swimmer at the local Y who always wears fins (and a snorkle), and a flowered cap to swim laps. He's at least in his 70's, and started swimming as cardio rehab.
He's actually one of the easier people around to share a lane with.

aquageek
October 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Yes, fins keeps your hips up and in correct position and noticeably take the pressure off your shoulders.

What does this mean, correct position? Using fins puts your body in a different position, not a correct position. If you use fins all the time, or a great deal of the time, you'll never be able to properly swim without them.

I will accept you use fins to take pressure off your shoulder but I'm not buying they are useful to put your body in a correct position.

The Fortress
October 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Hmm... Good point. I just meant they keep my hips up and I can concentrate on my stroke a bit more. They're mostly shoulder savers. Not sure I could swim at all without them. Some people can't. When I did some research after all my shoulder problems this year, I read that Amy Van Dyken can't swim without fins anymore. Now as to never swimming "properly," I did just win several medals at Worlds. I'm not that bad at swimming. And my times keep improving. Everything's a trade-off. No fins, a breakdown. Mostly fins, ability to swim at some reasonable level.

fish07
October 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM
New to the forum and I had to jump in on this one...

Folks who take up a full lane which is dedicated for circle swimming and start a set of walking in place with a hip-float.
Folks who jump in right in front of you as you are breaking out of a turn.
Folks who get in the lane with you in the middle of a sprint set and swim down the middle like a tug-boat.
Folks who borrow your gear without asking and then break your gear.Soap Box:
Along the lines of the fins, like many other aids, fins have a purpose. When used as an aid for a purpose, they can add value.
When used as an excuse, they add no value.

And lastly, a younger swimming commenting on how a 3,500 yard / meter workout is easy compared to a 5,000 yard / meter workout.How old would you be if you did not know how old you are??:cool:

ALM
October 5th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Physical therapy didn't work for me. I finally got better using ART therapy.

Leslie,

Finally, someone besides me who has undergone ART (Active Release Therapy). I have used it off and on over the past 10 or so years for shoulder and hamstring problems. For soft tissue injuries, it is great.

Anna Lea

The Fortress
October 5th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Anna:

That's so great! I hardly hear of anyone doing it either. A triathlete friend of mine turned me on to it. It's a miracle. I'm actually going in for a tune up tomorrow after doing some 400 IMs. Ouch! Usually when I say I'm doing ART therapy, people think I'm painting or something. It's the best.

proberts
October 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Can you describe ART therapy? Thanks

The Fortress
October 5th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I copied this from the ART website. www.activerelease.com (http://www.activerelease.com). ART basically breaks up scar tissue and nerve impingement, thereby releasing the pain Read on.

What is Active Release Technique (ART)?
ART is a patented, state of the art soft tissue system/movement based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. Headaches, back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, shin splints, shoulder pain, sciatica, plantar fasciitis, knee problems, and tennis elbow are just a few of the many conditions that can be resolved quickly and permanently with ART. These conditions all have one important thing in common: they are often a result of overused muscles.
How do overuse conditions occur?

Over-used muscles (and other soft tissues) change in three important ways:
acute conditions (pulls, tears, collisions, etc),
accumulation of small tears (micro-trauma)
not getting enough oxygen (hypoxia).Each of these factors can cause your body to produce tough, dense scar tissue in the affected area. This scar tissue binds up and ties down tissues that need to move freely. As scar tissue builds up, muscles become shorter and weaker, tension on tendons causes tendonitis, and nerves can become trapped. This can cause reduced range of motion, loss of strength, and pain. If a nerve is trapped you may also feel tingling, numbness, and weakness.

geochuck
October 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I prefer to Dream Heal http://www.dreamhealer.com/who_is_adam.htm Saw this gimmic guy on TV last night he is rolling in the dough.

The Fortress
October 5th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Ok, but ART is real. Is he real? I'll check the website.

geochuck
October 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM
He is for real but... I would not go to him but a lot of famous people say he cured their ailments. One who thinks he is the greatest is Rocking Ronnie Hawkins. http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=U1ARTU0001571 Ronnie is a friend of President Clinton.

proberts
October 6th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the info Leslie, I have several injuries that this might wok on, Shoulders, Legs etc. I broke my leg in 7 places and have been working on getting range of motion back. Thanks.

geochuck
October 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Anyone here please do not take my post Dreamhealer as a recommendation. He is actually reaping in millions of dollars. He almost makes as much as Terry L.:laugh2:

I do however recommend TI.

ande
November 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Does anyone have any decent rants?
Bones to pick?
Venting?

here's a few

Our locker room recently got a suit spinner, which is a great thing. I now don't like locker rooms that don't have suit spinners.

swimmers who lead and move to the other side of the lane so I can't draft

swimmers who draft and won't pass

whiners

The Fortress
November 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Ande:

So this is why you added drafting to your tips... I'm not so fond of drafters. We try to stick to our intervals.

I don't believe that anyone would ever be close enough to you to actually pass you, though. Good god. 49 in the 100 free.

I love suit spinners and am quite irritated that the one at my pool is broken.

I hate it when breaststrokers swim down the middle of the lane when I am ahead of them turning.

With respect to whiners, my teammate always asks "Would you like a piece of cheese with that wine?"

islandsox
November 9th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I think this thread is a HOOT !!! Most have covered mine, but I have a couple:

Pool temperature too hot (I get out and leave)

Drafting: when a person in the draft line cuts over in front of the lead swimmer mid-pool and takes the lead themself, then stops at the wall and proceeds to go to the back of the line.

When someone decides to swim butterfly when everyone else is doing freestyle circle style. I had an injury because of this doofus.

Right before you make a turn, someone jumps in where you would be turning toward. And they don't swim, they just jumped in.

Swimmers in the wrong-speed lanes; wrecks my sets.

People in medium-fast lanes who decide to hang on the wall--can't they move to the outside lanes?

People who blow snot in the gutter and miss.

People who you have tagged on the foot and at the wall they don't let you pass, they keep swimming slow.

And, because I am one of these, no backstroke flags!!!

Donna

The Fortress
November 9th, 2006, 10:14 PM
People who blow snot in the gutter and miss.

Can you believe this actually happens? I see people "blowing" their nose in the pool quite a bit. Yucky. :shakeshead: And one definitely cannot swim backstroke without backstroke flags. I don't even like it when they're flopping in the wind outdoors.

islandsox
November 10th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Sprinter Girl,

You have probably already figured this one out, too, but just in case, I never look at the flags, I look at the line they are mounted on so when the wind is really blowing and the flags are at horizontal rather than vertical, my stroke count into the wall remains about the same at all times, even when the cord itself is moved slightly due to the wind.

Figured this out when I flipped over and the wall wasn't there and I was DQd for "swimming freestyle."

Donna

The Fortress
November 10th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Donna:

You are much smarter and more experienced than me. I am still blaming those fluttering flags for my absolutely god awful finishes in my backstroke events at my last outdoor meet. I dove for the wall on one event and wasn't even close. It really cost me. I had to come back up and take another stroke. But I will keep this in mind for next summer.

chickadee
November 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Whining narcissitic lap swimmers who complain to management and get a whole Masters swim team time moved because they think lap swimming means if they get in the lane first they get the whole lane to themselves. I kid you not this just happened to our team this month. I told the Aquatics Director that he needed to educate the membership as to what lap swimming really means and what etiquette is required when lap swimming.
Sooooo...most of us are not going to swim at the new time, and we are now offically "lap swimmers" who will swim at the old time.....:thhbbb:

The spin machine at our facility is on the end of my arm.....

gbrittongeology
November 10th, 2006, 06:24 PM
OOps. I'm new to this. We have some "floaters" that have petitioned [yes I said petitioned] the management to raise the water temp to 85-86! Any suggestions?

The Fortress
November 10th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Whining narcissitic lap swimmers who complain to management and get a whole Masters swim team time moved because they think lap swimming means if they get in the lane first they get the whole lane to themselves.

I agree. Now why are lap swimmers like this? When I go swim myself and ask to share a lane during "lap swim" time, I get glared at. What's so bad about sharing a lane if you split sides? I like your version of civil disobedience. I hope it works.

Shadowvcd
November 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Money grubbing administrators who move a whole Masters swim team, who are all dues paying members, to a later time, because a class for fee paying non-members draws better at 7pm than 9pm

3degree
November 16th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Folks who take up a full lane which is dedicated for circle swimming and start a set of walking in place with a hip-float.

:frustrated:

After swimming laps at the local Y for years, I wholeheartedly AGREE with this one..... The Water Walkers are the WORST. They think they should have the whole lane for one person taking up a few feet in the deepend, but that their hair (much less their face) should NEVER GET WET! Don't even think of doing a flip turn near them! They'll report you to the Y Directors!

This pool is only 4 lanes to begin with!

There was one in the later pages in this thread on the guards clearing the pool from high chlorine..... That might not have been a joke That has happened more than once at our local Y. :shakeshead: It generally means they dumped a "toxic" amount of chlorine into the water and are actually scared they are going to harm you (Strip Skin, dissolve hair etc.) ! But then this would have to be a huge amount at our Y, over and above what they normally ran the chlorine at.

(see "booger-eating hillbillies"-as one of my old bosses used to say) The Aquatics Director there believes that the chlorine should be at >3+++, to keep down the germs in the pool with all the kids. So (as all of us chemists know) More HAS to be better! The chlorine test sample is a bright neon yellow, way off the scale of the tester! So the pool EATS suits in <1 month of 5days/week swimming there! Not to mention what it did to my hair!!! (and it had to be bad, for me to complain as a guy). The folks at work thought I was coloring my hair as it was lightening so quickly-not to mention its great straw like consistency. At least it wasn't green--too much bleach to even keep that color! Unfortunately the local health dept. does not have an upper limit on the chlorine concentration for a guideline.

This is the same pool and aquatics director who decided to remove all the competitive lane lines and put in ropes with float buoys as brand new lane markers-how proud they were of that (think shallow depth markers). The wire broke in one lane line and it would be too expensive:rolleyes: to replace. So all the real lane lines were taken out. It was too much of a hassle for the guards to take them in and out for the noodler classes and swim lessons and the aquatics director was worried one of the guards would get hurt with the heavy bulky lines. Forget the function of those wave breaking lines! So now It's like wake jumping in there on some mornings, esp from the water walkers and floaters of substantial mass bobbing up and down. :applaud: They actually create more wake than a streamlined swimmer ever could.

The old guys in the morning who take up 2+ lanes playing water basketball (the Y has one setup in the shallow for the kids and it never gets taken down).
The only amusement comes from the geezers, having finished their "workout" (of standing around and b%^*@ng, then become the geezer hotshot basketballers who "accidentally" splash one of the walrus walkers with their ball and misplaced shot and proceed to set off a screaming match :rofl: that the Youngster lifeguard has to try to diffuse (and she was the only guard desperate enough for money to be up and in at <6am in the morning-thinking that normally she would just watch us swimming boring laps).

OK, I feel a tinsy bit better! Thanks.

fanstone
November 16th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Here is one I just remembered and it only works for people who have coaches. You come to the pool really wanting to swim. The coach has all these mats set up and begins to make you go through P.I. or Phys. Ed., or whatever it was called when you were in high school and weren't doing any other sports. So, jumping jacks, sit ups, various forms of calisthenics and other stuff are done right in front of the pool. After half an hour we went into the pool and did 250 meters of leg drills, three to each lane with one mat for the three. This only happens about twice a month. The coach wants us to be in better shape. I tell him, fat people only like to be in the water. What I really enjoy is when he says: "Give me 1,000 meters, with the fins, and keep the style fluid, alongate your arms well." Now, that is true swimming! billy fanstone

TacJag
November 16th, 2006, 09:45 PM
:frustrated:

After swimming laps at the local Y for years, I wholeheartedly AGREE with this one..... The Water Walkers are the WORST. They think they should have the whole lane for one person taking up a few feet in the deep end, but that their hair (much less their face) should NEVER GET WET! Don't even think of doing a flip turn near them! They'll report you to the Y Directors!

Just ran into this yesterday at the Y. There was a "water aerobics" class in lanes 5 & 6, 2 very slow lap swimmers in 4, 2 very slow lap swimmers in 3, 1 "water walker" in 2, and three "water walkers" in 1. I jumped in and started my workout in 2, hoping the walker would move over to 1 ... especially since the other walkers were on the other end of the pool. Nope. I could tell she was not happy, but I know she REALLY did not like my 25 yard fly sprints!! (Although I did take care not to hit her ... she was on the end of the lane and I stopped short). But she was clearly not happy. The guards do nothing, even if you complain about the walkers. After about 30 minutes the aerobics class ended and a lane opened up for me to finish.

Cheers!!

Ken

Shadowvcd
November 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Can I rant at myself? For forgetting to empty my swim bag the last time I swam, so now I can look forward to putting on a cold wet suit this evening?

Warren
November 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I dont like when people talk to me in between sets and causing me to miss the time im supposed to go on.

3degree
January 2nd, 2007, 08:47 PM
Corporate Idiocy (another overly redundant oxymoron)

My place of employment actually offers a "Fitness reimbursement". They will reimburse the employee 50% up to $250 (so 1/2 of 500) of health club fees, fitness classes, stationary exercise equipment. :applaud: I bought my elliptical under this last year.:groovy:

However, they will not cover "recreational equipment" such as bikes, golf clubs, tennis, etc.:mad: So if you were a triathlete who never went on a stationary cycle or indoor treadmill, you are excluded totally!

As we are now into the new year and I can submit again, I asked our HR rep who is supposed to handle the program at our location if I could submit my masters swimming club and USMS registration fees. She forwards it to a corp benefits rep (as our local rep doesn't seem to be able to handle any of it herself :rolleyes: ) but prefaces the request by indicating, "I don't think this should be covered but...." and then makes it sound like they are my swimming club dues (like a local neighborhood pool) or swimming classes.

The corp rep automatically backs her and says they don't cover swim lessons or fees to a local recreation center. :frustrated:

I replied back to both of them indicating that these are supervised directed workouts and definitely for FITNESS purposes! I gave them links to the USMS site and our local Masters site. :argue: Letting them know that this is not just lounging around on a raft under a diving board with a umbrella drink!

I have to wait and see if they can do more than just read their policy; it specifically uses the example of aerobics classes or jazzercize-so the reps look only for those titles. Now if we can just get those folks in corporate to understand that we swim miles a day in the pool and are in better shape than any foo foo aerobics class or trendy jazzercize class taker..... Although this could be like teaching the proverbial pig to sing!!!! :D Maybe I can get our club to call these "water aerobics" classes!!!:thhbbb: Problem is I doth protest too much and have already shown up on the HR radar by raising this issue and "making them 'think' ".

(I also need to get the the local recreation center to call my karate classes something like "cardio kickboxing' so maybe these idiots will cover it too.....)

Anybody else with this problem?

swim4me
January 2nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
My company has the same type of policy, but they will cover the cost of bikes and other types of exercise equipment (HR monitors, fitness balls, etc...) and fees for fitness centers 100% up to the allowable amount. I am going to submit my masters fees tomorrow and see if they will accept them. Someone I work with was taking dance classes with his girlfriend (not sure what kind of dance) and the company would not pay for that. However, I think that swimming is TOTALLY an activity that should receive reimbursement. I'll let you know how it turns out - might be a few weeks.....

SwimStud
January 2nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
My wife just started taking belly-dancing lessons...I wonder if that is covered...

funkyfish
January 3rd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Here's a peeve from my wife. Swimming 500s when the guy in the next lane decides to "race" you 25yds out of every 100 you're doing.

Here's a peeve for me. Being able to squat 405, but having a breaststroke kick that propels you backward.:frustrated:

CreamPuff
January 3rd, 2007, 12:06 PM
My wife just started taking belly-dancing lessons...I wonder if that is covered...

Small world! My husband and I attended a "belly dancing" party put on by one of his female colleagues. I'll just say it was interesting watching women of all ages and sizes dance around in elaborate, revealing costumes in the middle of southern suburbia. She ended up leaving her high paying techincal job and now operates her own belly dancing studio.

Running around in your speedo is nothing compared to what these women "perform" in.

I'm not bashing belly dancing. Whatever floats your boat.

Sheesh - I just forgot what this thread topic was all about.

knelson
January 3rd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Running around in your speedo is nothing compared to what these women "perform" in.

I'm not bashing belly dancing. Whatever floats your boat.

It seems like people who belly dance tend to have a little bit in the belly department, doesn't it? Seeing someone's belly jiggle doesn't do much for me, but as you said: whatever floats your boat!

SwimStud
January 3rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
It seems like people who belly dance tend to have a little bit in the belly department, doesn't it? Seeing someone's belly jiggle doesn't do much for me, but as you said: whatever floats your boat!

Are you calling my wife fat?

Your theory is not really accurate. Some fat people belly dance, and some fat people swim.
Belly dance has nothing to do with fatness or fitness. I remember being treated to a belly dance on my 16th birthday at a restaurant. The girl had no belly as you seem to allude to it...just a nice balanced hourglass figure with soft curves--she was beautiful. :D

ande
January 9th, 2007, 12:24 PM
here's my rant for the day
in practice, crowded fast swimmer lanes (4 - 5 swimmers per lane)
while there are empty slow lanes (1 - 2 per lane)
the slow lanes could fit many more swimmers cause they won't catch each other.

and my other rant is injuries
Injuries should be outlawed

one more
swimmers showing up sick at practice and infecting everyone else with their disease

one more
swingers,
those swimmers who wildly swing their arms over the lane when they swim freestyle and you wind up smacking their hands and arms several times per practice

Ande

swimr4life
January 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM
here's my rant for the day

and my other rant is injuries
Injuries should be outlawed

one more
swimmers showing up sick at practice and infecting everyone else with their disease

one more
swingers,
those swimmers who wildly swing their arms over the lane when they swim freestyle and you wind up smacking their hands and arms several times per practice

Ande

Amen Ande! Injuries should be outlawed! I've had way too many setbacks due to them. I know it is because I think I'm still a teenager and can push through the pain like I did back when my body could bounce back! Getting older sucks....you really have to take better care of your "boat" with a kinder, gentler approach. I'm such a sprinter that I'm used to going full steam ahead from the minute my body hits the water. You really have to change your thinking once you get "up" in age.

I've hit hands with one of the best swimmers in the world at warm-ups in Arizona. My rant was when we both stopped, she actually growled at me and scowled.....like it was totally my fault! That was one of the only times I've hit hands with anyone. UNBELIEVEABLE. I can't see her and not think about how she acted....not telling....don't even ask!:rolleyes:

SwimStud
January 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM
one more
swingers,

Ande

Theres an older guy who must swim a mile or so but he has a great left arm stroke but his right is almost a fly stroke. Of course, he may have an injury that makes him swim this way, but I can't get in his lane with him.

Last night I am standing there with my stop watch on my interval in the FAST lane no less in hops a guy, who proceeeds to do a realy leisurely 25 free, 25 breast (head above) severeral reps. OK not his fault the place was mobbed...but you still don't get to swim down the centre like it's the St. Patrick's Day parade...

aztimm
January 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM

Our coaches keeps the lanes pretty well balanced. Many times the fast people don't want to move to the 'slower' lanes, even though they aren't slow anymore with fast people in them. We also have an alternate area across a bulkhead that we sometimes use when it is unusually busy, to avoid having 6+ people per lane. In some extreme cases I've asked the coach to move someone who was well faster or slower than the rest of the lane, they've done it without any issues.

My rant is a faster person who says, "I'll do stroke so I'll go behind you." When they say that, I assume they will NOT be doing free....but then again, freestyle is a stroke so they're not outright lying by doing it.

I also don't like when (again someone obviously faster) dives in on my toes during warmup, especially when I'm the first one in the lane. There's been a few times when I didn't know they were behind me and I switched to breast the next length, to have them nearly run over me. I like having some flexibility to warm at my own pace, and I'll give a good 5-10 sec after someone turns before I dive in.

nkfrench
January 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM
How about people who have no clue and give unsolicited free advice ?

Like the one who told me this last weekend I should try swimming as "it's perfect for old overweight people." Grrrrrr.

A lingerie saleslady measured me when I was in shape 15 years ago and suggested that maybe I could do a few "exercises" to enhance my chest (I was benchpressing my bodyweight 3x/week). What on earth would she suggest ?

SwimStud
January 9th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Like the one who told me this last weekend I should try swimming as "it's perfect for old overweight people." Grrrrrr.

You should have told her to try yoga...that way she'll be stretching when she puts her foot in her mouth...some folks are so DUMB and RUDE.

jim clemmons
January 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Corporate Idiocy (another overly redundant oxymoron)

My place of employment actually offers a "Fitness reimbursement". They will reimburse the employee 50% up to $250 (so 1/2 of 500) of health club fees, fitness classes, stationary exercise equipment. I bought my elliptical under this last year.

I have to wait and see if they can do more than just read their policy; it specifically uses the example of aerobics classes or jazzercize-so the reps look only for those titles. Now if we can just get those folks in corporate to understand that we swim miles a day in the pool and are in better shape than any foo foo aerobics class or trendy jazzercize class taker.....

3degree,

I just read a good article by Todd Bryan, Boulder Aquatic Masters, which he wrote for a local Colorado newspaper. Maybe the article would provide you with a little ammunition and a little insight for your HR folks.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/jan/07/go-swimmsing-and-nothing-will-happen/

3degree
January 18th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Well, I have to move this Beef from the Rant page to the AntiRant page.....

To be retitled-- Corporation Sees the Light!

The Corp HR rep reviewed what I had presented about our program and decided that the Master's Swimming Fees WOULD BE COVERED--:woot:
"Because your swimming program is a structured fitness program, your request has been approved for reimbursement".
:groovy:

We managed to get a corporation able to see our work as more than just pool lounging-- and pay money for it!!!

:banana: :wiggle: :banana: :groovy: :wiggle: :applaud: :woot: :groovy:

shark
January 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Swimmers who have talent and refuse to work hard in practice and end up asking me at the end of the season, "What happened to me coach?"

ande
January 19th, 2007, 02:24 PM
you're swimming a super hard set,
lots of heavy breathing going on while you rest,
then you get blasted by waves of a brisk halitosis breeze from a person in your lane,

you wretch from the stench

is it garlic?
were they out drinking late into the night?
forget to brush?
no mouthwash?
did a pet crawl down there and die?

the pace clock ticks
57, 58, 59 ...
you push off to begin your next hard 100
and ponder whether you should let them know or not

SwimStud
January 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM
you're swimming a super hard set,
lots of heavy breathing going on while you rest,
then you get blasted by waves of a brisk halitosis breeze from a person in your lane,

you wretch from the stench

is it garlic?
were they out drinking late into the night?
forget to brush?
no mouthwash?
did a pet crawl down there and die?

the pace clock ticks
57, 58, 59 ...
you push off to begin your next hard 100
and ponder whether you should let them know or not

Is the halitosis regularly evident or is it periodic? It can be caused by ilness and such...even brushing and mouthwash won't kill it. No I don't suffer from halitosis it but I know catarrh is a real bad cause of stinky breath.

U could kick them in the ribs mid length Andy, and enforce a "chlorine rinse" :rofl:

Deb
January 19th, 2007, 02:34 PM
I think you got all of mine, except maybe the guys who do chin-ups on the starting block bars while you are trying to share a lane.

ensignada
January 19th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I think you got all of mine, except maybe the guys who do chin-ups on the starting block bars while you are trying to share a lane.

Ok, half-serious question: what's up with the pool chin-ups? I can do those and I haven't been able to do a dryland chin-up in, in, well in a long time. Is it preening or is there some benefit?:dunno:

thewookiee
January 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Here is a rant that I have experienced a lot this week. One day, my strokes feel great. I can zoom through sets. The next two days, it feels as though I have a totally different stroke, without trying to make any changes....uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhh

swim4me
January 19th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Is the halitosis regularly evident or is it periodic? It can be caused by ilness and such...even brushing and mouthwash won't kill it. No I don't suffer from halitosis it but I know catarrh is a real bad cause of stinky breath.

U could kick them in the ribs mid length Andy, and enforce a "chlorine rinse" :rofl:

I complete agree with Ande's rant. An to to answer SwimStud's question, the similar experiences I have had with the halitosis rant, it is a more than regular event:shakeshead: :shakeshead:

The Fortress
January 19th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Here is a rant that I have experienced a lot this week. One day, my strokes feel great. I can zoom through sets. The next two days, it feels as though I have a totally different stroke, without trying to make any changes....uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhh

I completely agree with the Wookie's rant. This seems to happen to me on a regular basis. What gives?

thewookiee
January 20th, 2007, 12:15 PM
As one coach told me....AGE. Seriously, it may have something to do with how our bodies recover as we get older. Also, I have found that if I change time zones for work, then swim at a time later than I am used too...esp. at night, if feels funny.

ande
June 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM
anyone have anything to rant about

SwimStud
June 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM

why if your a really slow lap swimmer would you ask to more athletic types to circle swim when you could have asked the small kid and his dad who are hogging another lane...granted we were in the slow lane but this same guy doesn't seem to mind jumping into the fast lane to swim real slow...

I was a slow lap swimmer once but I wouldn't jump in with the guys that were doing hard work...
...damn undercover noodlers

lanehog
June 15th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Once, I was doing lap swim in a 6-lane, 25-yard pool. When I got there, I think 3 of the lanes were taken, so I hopped into an empty one and started my workout. 45 minutes later, I was by myself in the pool. Then this one guy comes in, walks to the other end of the pool to get some equipment, and proceeds to dump them directly across the pool from me. I thought, well maybe he's going to move into a lane next to me. He couldn't possibly want to share a lane when there are five others available. So I hung out at the wall watching this and joking with the lifeguards, who were also chuckling at the idiocy of getting into the ONLY OCCUPIED LANE of an otherwise empty pool. Sure enough, the man sat down, put on his fins, and hopped into my lane.

I figured asking him to move was more trouble than it was worth, so I scooted over to the next lane. I wasn't mad -- in the end, there were just two of us in the entire pool, so it wasn't a big deal. More like flabbergasted. And amused. I wonder if he got the hint when he realized that I'd moved.

swimr4life
June 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Once, I was doing lap swim in a 6-lane, 25-yard pool. When I got there, I think 3 of the lanes were taken, so I hopped into an empty one and started my workout. 45 minutes later, I was by myself in the pool. Then this one guy comes in, walks to the other end of the pool to get some equipment, and proceeds to dump them directly across the pool from me. I thought, well maybe he's going to move into a lane next to me. He couldn't possibly want to share a lane when there are five others available. So I hung out at the wall watching this and joking with the lifeguards, who were also chuckling at the idiocy of getting into the ONLY OCCUPIED LANE of an otherwise empty pool. Sure enough, the man sat down, put on his fins, and hopped into my lane.

I figured asking him to move was more trouble than it was worth, so I scooted over to the next lane. I wasn't mad -- in the end, there were just two of us in the entire pool, so it wasn't a big deal. More like flabbergasted. And amused. I wonder if he got the hint when he realized that I'd moved.

Wow....:shakeshead:

Maybe he was lonely?
Maybe he was scared to swim alone?
Maybe he shouldn't breed? :rofl:

SwimStud
June 15th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Maybe it's the only way he could get next to a girl in a bathing suit?
:lmao:

MichiganHusker
June 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Hard to believe someone is that self-absorbed. Perhaps he wears glasses and wasn't able to see you?

dorothyrde
June 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM

I guess that is one way for him to meet women.

FindingMyInnerFish
June 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Makes me think of the times I ride on a bus or subway with lots of empty seats and some guy decides to sit next to me. Raises all kinds of red flags. What's up with that? In your case... empty pool and guy choosing your lane when he can have one to himself. Did he think perhaps that only that he was only allowed to use that one lap lane? I'd definitely be uncomfortable. But at least he didn't try to follow you to your next lane... I hope. (I had a guy follow me on a subway once when I switched seats. He'd chosen the seat I was in when there were plenty of empty ones, then gave me almost no room, so I moved, and when I did, he followed me... even to the next car. Now that was very weird! I finally escaped by getting off at the next stop just as the train door was about to close so he wouldn't follow me off the train.)

SwimStud
June 16th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Makes me think of the times I ride on a bus or subway with lots of empty seats and some guy decides to sit next to me. Raises all kinds of red flags. What's up with that? In your case... empty pool and guy choosing your lane when he can have one to himself. Did he think perhaps that only that he was only allowed to use that one lap lane? I'd definitely be uncomfortable. But at least he didn't try to follow you to your next lane... I hope. (I had a guy follow me on a subway once when I switched seats. He'd chosen the seat I was in when there were plenty of empty ones, then gave me almost no room, so I moved, and when I did, he followed me... even to the next car. Now that was very weird! I finally escaped by getting off at the next stop just as the train door was about to close so he wouldn't follow me off the train.)

Sorry, I just didn't know how to start the conversation... ;) j/k...

Pretty scary though

mantagirl
June 17th, 2007, 02:59 AM

Besides the creepy hairballs that are always in my lane? :cry: Dang, how do you get all that hair out at once anyway? Ick!

*Yes, when the locker room is like a sauna and you have to dress for work after your workout and you're sweating like you ran a sprint and didn't take a shower. :frustrated:

*When the showers are preset to a specific temperature---too warm! And you have to push a freakin' button and it only lasts for a few seconds. :frustrated:

*When kids don't ask if they can get you to circle swim when you're swimming split lane with another person, when they think lap swimming means swim two feet then walk on their hands underwater, sit on lane ropes, crash into lap swimmers swimming backstroke, and the life guards are somewhere else and you have to talk to them about it and they look at you like they want to have a Jerry Springer brawl in the pool.:sad:

*When the guy in your lane acts like practice is a competition and he's tells you to get ready for an ass whopin'--dude we're in lane 2, get a life.

*When a class mate designs a really cool workout which includes swimming 50 yds, jumping out of the pool, doing pushups or situps on the bulkhead, jumping into the deep pool sculling across and back, etc. and this same guy is doing one-handed push-ups on the bulkhead, and calls you a wimp 'cause he's swimming 100's instead. :yawn:

*When your fins rub the top of your feet leaving icky scars. Why can't I just have fins sprout out of my feet when I get in the pool? Oh, 'cause I'm not a mermaid. Dang! :D

Ah, that's enough for now. I do feel better. Thanks Ande.

3strokes
June 17th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Maybe it's the only way he could get next to a girl in a bathing suit?
:lmao:

I prefer getting into the "next" lane (either side doesn't matter -unless she's in an outside lane, of course; I don't need that much resistance and drag even if she were a 10+). Swimming in the next lane, one can go in the same direction, + or - at the same speed and get to admire their form, I mean style (swimming style, naturally).

3strokes
June 17th, 2007, 07:29 AM
...........I was by myself in the pool. Then this one guy comes in, ........... He couldn't possibly want to share a lane when there are five others available. So I hung out at the wall watching this and joking with the lifeguards, who were also chuckling at the idiocy of getting into the ONLY OCCUPIED LANE of an otherwise empty pool. Sure enough, the man sat down, put on his fins, and hopped into my lane.

Was your lane the "fast" lane"?
He might have misinterpreted the meaning of the sign.................

Allen Stark
June 17th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Mantagirl,I agree about those push button showers. The temperature is rarely right and if it is you are just beginning to relax when you have to push it again:frustrated:

geochuck
June 17th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I have read all these rants.

Breastrokers should not be able to Rant!!!

Only true swimmers flyers and crawlers only should have this right.

I only have two real rants, #1 breastrokers in my lane, they really mess up my lap swimming. #2 backstokers who cannot swim straight when doing laps.

Peter Cruise
June 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I probably would be upset at the older guy trying not to spill his margarita glass whilst lapping...

nkfrench
June 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Rant. The fitness club I sometimes swim at on my own has 4 lanes and the expectation is "no sharing". So if you don't get your own lane, you just have to wait until somebody decides that they are done lane hogging (ie, by standing in the water talking, swishing their arms a little). Circle swimming is unknown; splitting a lane is unheard of unless you are related; and when most of them swim, their arms and legs cover the width of the lane so there's not much point introducing the concept. There are no pool rules posted other than "No Lifeguard" "Swim at your own risk". If you are doing intervals, other people assume when you stop on the wall that it's OK to swim right across your lane to get across the pool. When somebody did that behind my back it made for a nasty collision.

Headbangers: at my Masters practice years ago there used to be a woman who would shut her eyes while she swam (because it relaxed her) and she would swim right down the middle of the lane (so she wouldn't scrape her knuckles on the ropes). Never mind that there were 3-5 other people in the lane. Coach said, "Oh, that's just Betty; deal with it".

Another headbanger: Novice teammates who will swim backstroke outdoors and won't check to see if they are going straight after 2 head-on collisions during a freestyle set. We only had 2 laneropes for the 6-lane pool, and the swimmer was all over the place.

lanehog
June 17th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Was your lane the "fast" lane"?
He might have misinterpreted the meaning of the sign.................

Hehe. We have a few lanes designated for different speeds, but I've never seen anyone actually pay attention to them. I wasn't even in the fast lane -- I was in lane three or four, I think, somewhere in the middle of the pool, because that's the one that had been empty when I'd arrived.

Oh well. I remember calling an old friend from my swim team back home afterward and telling her. She got a laugh out of it too.

FindingMyInnerFish
June 17th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Sorry, I just didn't know how to start the conversation... ;) j/k...

Pretty scary though

If I'd only known it was you... c'mon, ya gotta not be so shy! :D

Of course, I wouldn't have picked him out as you b/c he wasn't nearly as good looking as the pix of you. You don't by chance travel in disguise do you, the better to fend off all those eager ladies? ;)

SwimStud
June 18th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Of course, I wouldn't have picked him out as you b/c he wasn't nearly as good looking as the pix of you. You don't by chance travel in disguise do you, the better to fend off all those eager ladies? ;)

I just don't travel...I can barely ride my mower/tractor in my speedo for fear of being mobbed these days ;)

I guess I photograph at +10 *shrug*

Mausy
June 18th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I read all the rants with great laughter before leaving for swim practice. At swim practice I was involved in a situation I would like to rant about.

I usually swim during the day, but decided to swim at night with an organized masters team. A lady in my lane took one look at me and decided that she was faster than me. So, we are doing a 600 free and I am right on her toes when she decides to switch to backstroke. I pass her and then in the next set of 3x200 she tells me that she is faster than me and demands to go in front of me. When I tell her that I think I would prefer to be in front of her, she pushes off the wall and goes. URGH!

The next set was 6x100 and I pass her during the first one. I then decide to give the person in front of me a little more space and has my feet leave the wall she rams into me. Apparently, she decided that since I was giving someone a ten second space, there was no reason for her to give me any space.

At the end of practice, she told me that just because I am tall does not mean that I should have swum in front of her.

I feel better for ranting. I think I may just stay with noon masters.

geochuck
June 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Rant all you want guys I am going on a trip to Moline Illinois for a week. On Friday I am going to have a party with Chuckie, 50th anniversary. Chuckie punches me when anyone asks how long have you been married and I say Too Long.

FindingMyInnerFish
June 19th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Rant all you want guys I am going on a trip to Moline Illinois for a week. On Friday I am going to have a party with Chuckie, 50th anniversary. Chuckie punches me when anyone asks how long have you been married and I say Too Long.

Have fun, George, and be sure to give us the rundown when you come back, although I bet it'll be too good a time to post in the rant section. You'll need to post your party report as an "anti-rant"! :)

FindingMyInnerFish
June 19th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I read all the rants with great laughter before leaving for swim practice. At swim practice I was involved in a situation I would like to rant about.

I usually swim during the day, but decided to swim at night with an organized masters team. A lady in my lane took one look at me and decided that she was faster than me. So, we are doing a 600 free and I am right on her toes when she decides to switch to backstroke. I pass her and then in the next set of 3x200 she tells me that she is faster than me and demands to go in front of me. When I tell her that I think I would prefer to be in front of her, she pushes off the wall and goes. URGH!

The next set was 6x100 and I pass her during the first one. I then decide to give the person in front of me a little more space and has my feet leave the wall she rams into me. Apparently, she decided that since I was giving someone a ten second space, there was no reason for her to give me any space.

At the end of practice, she told me that just because I am tall does not mean that I should have swum in front of her.

Yikes! I guess I've been lucky--I've dealt with all different kinds of people, but in masters' practices, everyone's usually pretty polite.

But I've seen people like this woman in other settings: she will not re-examine her viewpoint regardless of evidence to the contrary because she's clung to it probably for a very long time, like a "security blanket," and she'll treat anyone who proves her wrong as somehow the one at fault, usually by citing something totally irrelevant (like height, in your case) to show how wrong you are and how right she is. I've found that the only way to deal is to recognize that such a person must be terribly, terribly afraid of any truth about him/herself that doesn't match his/her expectations. Must be painful to live like that--like wearing ill-fitting shoes all the time because one is convinced that they are the only right ones to wear.

SwimStud
June 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Must be painful to live like that--like wearing ill-fitting shoes all the time because one is convinced that they are the only right ones to wear.

Or that you actually look manly in a Speedo thong...not that I wold wear one...rumour has it Jim Bork does though...

Hoosier
June 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I want to rant about the aqua aerobics people..
1. although they have two lanes (made into one big one) they all stand along the lane line between them and I, and look mad when they get splashed when I swim by..
2. Request and are granted that the pool temp be put to 86 degrees because they are cold.
3. Sing "Its a small world after all" during their warm up... Ever tried to swim hard with "its a small world after all" going thru your head? (Just looked at me with a blank face when I asked the instuructor if she knew any Led Zepplin.)
I actually now go at 6am instead of 7, just to miss them.

SwimStud
June 19th, 2007, 12:52 PM
...3. Sing "Its a small world after all" during their warm up...

thinking about the usual participants in aqua aerobics...is anyone else highly amused by the irony of this???

knelson
June 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
#2 backstokers who cannot swim straight when doing laps.

I plead guilty to this. At least outdoors. To compensate I always hug the lane line. The problem with this is I end up whacking it lots of times when my hand goes in. Man that hurts! I don't quite get why this happens, either, because coaches tell me I overreach on backstroke.

Actually this reminds me of a story. The outdoor long course pool I used to swim in as a kid was L shaped with the dive tank as the other leg of the L. There was a lane line strung across the dive tank, but it was attached about a foot in from the corner. In other words the wall lane on that side of the pool had a sharp corner where the two legs of the L met. I was always deathly afraid of crashing into that corner doing backstroke in that lane! I don't think I ever did, though.

nkfrench
June 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM
The outdoor long course pool I used to swim in as a kid was L shaped with the dive tank as the other leg of the L. There was a lane line strung across the dive tank, but it was attached about a foot in from the corner. In other words the wall lane on that side of the pool had a sharp corner where the two legs of the L met. I was always deathly afraid of crashing into that corner doing backstroke in that lane! I don't think I ever did, though.

I've plowed into the corner of the penninsula at another pool and even going slow YES it hurts. I got a bruise about 4" x 8" on the tip of my shoulder. Between that, ladders and a slide it was a rough summer since the outside lanes didn't have a lanerope.

I wonder if somebody makes swim crash helmet or curb feelers ? Apparently my sonar isn't good enough.

3strokes
June 19th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I've plowed into the corner of the penninsula at another pool and even going slow YES it hurts. I got a bruise about 4" x 8" on the tip of my shoulder. Between that, ladders and a slide it was a rough summer since the outside lanes didn't have a lanerope.

I wonder if somebody makes swim crash helmet or curb feelers ? Apparently my sonar isn't good enough.

Why don't you (all in similar situations) ask the pool management
(or whoever/whatever plays that role) to get a small gallows-like stand with a tennis ball or something that will act like an approach warning. (Kind of like the landing-ball on aircraft carriers? As you backstrokers (if you really don't want to switch) approach the corner, the ball could be too far to the right or to the left and you would/could have enough distance left to the "ouch" zone to make a quick adjustment?

Dennis Tesch
June 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM

That is too bad!!! I've heard many complaints from swimmers at your pool. Steiner masters is really getting a reputation.

Some things I need to rant about:

1. Coaches who think their time on the deck is to announce all their personal info to the team. This wastes swimmers time who are paying the coach paying the coach for a workout, not a diatribe. :mad:

2. Coaches that just sit on the deck and don't make corrections or offer suggestions to improve your technique.

3. Swimmers who drag (butt suck) you all the time. I don't mind once and while, but every set!!!:mooning:

4. Swimmers who complain about not improving and do nothing to improve.

5. One lap swimmer per lane. :dunno:

6. Pools that are under utilized!!! (Typically bad management)

I have a few others, but I'll leave you with a great quote I heard today.

"Vision is the art of seeing things invisible" Jonathan Swift

nkfrench
June 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Why don't you (all in similar situations) ask the pool management (or whoever/whatever plays that role) ...

One place is a city rec pool. ALL of the competitive equip (laneropes, backstroke flags, paceclocks) our team bought and we were very happy that they would allow us to keep them there between practices where nobody would vandalize them. I think our next purchase would be to replace the "hand-eater" used laneropes and buy/repair more lanerope reels so the laneropes aren't piled up between practices and getting broken dragging them along the deck to set up/tear down. We have 2 pools needing more equip. That stuff is really expensive.

As far as crash helmets, curb feelers, ... maybe I should just learn to swim straight. :cool:

chlorine addict
June 19th, 2007, 08:23 PM
How about the guy who is not quite fast enough to swim in your lane, but insists on going in front because you are female. This is not a feminist rant, the other guys in the lane were aware of it too. Finally one day they had me lead, they went in the middle, and forced this guy to go at the back. We went slower and never let him come up at all. It wasn't kind of us, but we were tired of him for doing this AND for having bad lane ettiquite AAAAAAND breathing hard, directly in our faces, when he could've easily turned to the side like the rest of us. He now only comes once or twice a month. :groovy:

Or, how about the person who is incredible foul in the mornings. Literally, when I said "good morning", she would grunt (and sometimes even added, "well, it's not"). Anyway, at the time, there were several of us who swam around the same speed and each morning we jumped into a couple of lanes, never really caring who was in what lane - we all swam well together. Exception...this gal was our same speed and we didin't swim well with her, as she kvetched and whined about the sets, her ankle, and anything else she saw fit. It got to the point that we actually used to get there a bit early and jump into lanes so that she was forced to move up because our lanes were "too full". She moved away. :cheerleader:

I'm not a passive-aggressive person by nature (and lordy have I caught grief for it), but in cases such as these, well, it seems to work out quite nicely.

I think this covers Ande's quest for rants and solutions.

nkfrench
June 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM
If somebody too slow consistently insists on going up front, I think The Rules allow you to swim right over them if they obstruct you from passing. Just grab the ankles and go over the top.

Mausy
June 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Not a rant, but I would just like to say that I love SLC Steiner Masters. My earlier post about the lady thinking she was faster than "tall" me is one bad example of swimming. For the vast majority of time, I think the people I swim with are great and very supportive. This situation developed because I don't swim with that group of people and she had no idea who I was.

Dennis Tesch
June 20th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Mausy - Don't get me wrong. Steiner Masters in general is a great group and I have many friends there. It just interests me that you had this problem at one of there workouts and it isn't unusual. In a rant sort of way, I really dislike teams that have a hard time accomidating new people and accepting them into their own lane and team habits. Maybe that is how you keep a team from getting too big when you can't get anymore lanes??

AlanM
June 20th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Why no 1500m free in the Masters World Championships? Some of us slow twitch types don't like moving down to sprint events (like the 800)!

Got Boost
June 21st, 2007, 01:30 AM
I have not read all of these so let me slide if I duplicate a couple.

Stray noodle floating into your lane. At my club during the day there is only one lane to lap swim in and it for some reason collects all the abandoned noodles.

The people who stand next to the lap lane and want me to keep from splashing their hair as I swim by or do a flip turn. Why go to a pool to stay dry. As a life guard I had a group of, well, thugs, that I would get to go splash and generally soak anyone I saw who was trying to keep their hair dry. Keep in mind this was the late 80's and big hair ruled.

This has been mentioned before but people who don't swim srtaight or stay on thier side of the lane drive me nuts.

Got Boost

Amber23
June 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM
I want to rant about the aqua aerobics people..
1. although they have two lanes (made into one big one) they all stand along the lane line between them and I, and look mad when they get splashed when I swim by..
2. Request and are granted that the pool temp be put to 86 degrees because they are cold.
3. Sing "Its a small world after all" during their warm up... Ever tried to swim hard with "its a small world after all" going thru your head? (Just looked at me with a blank face when I asked the instuructor if she knew any Led Zepplin.)
I actually now go at 6am instead of 7, just to miss them.

O.M.G. Do you goto my pool?

Just kidding. Those aerobics people drive me insane sometimes.

Once they were playing with their beach vollyball and they knocked it into my lane. Well, the woman came into my lane to get it and took her sweet time getting out. Fine, it was an accident. Not 10 minutes later they hit the damn ball into my lane again, this time hitting me in the head. So I stopped, took their ball and hit it across the pool.

Swimming at my Y is like swimming in a hottub they keep it so warm.

SwimStud
June 21st, 2007, 12:40 PM
...Not 10 minutes later they hit the damn ball into my lane again, this time hitting me in the head. So I stopped, took their ball and hit it across the pool.

Awesome...my kinda gal. That's great...:applaud:

newmastersswimmer
June 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM

Have you seen Richie's newest avatar? LOL!

FindingMyInnerFish
June 21st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Have you seen Richie's newest avatar? LOL!

Yeah, now that one DOES look like the guy I saw on the train!:p

SwimStud
June 21st, 2007, 10:58 PM
Tell me that it's not me...

I'm swimming, a girl comes up to the lane. Not wearing a real race suit or training gear.
"Hi, I'm going to swim this side!" she tells me.
I said "OK" a bit taken aback with the lack of asking and using please and thank you, but at least she didn't just jump in as I was heading for the turn.
I do a 75 and take a rest, and she interrupts me with this...
"Hi, do you mind doing me a really big favour; can you go swim in that lane?" She points to a lane two over where there is guy already swimming. Basically she wanted me to move so she could swim with her mother or friend.
I Said, "Yeah I do mind actually!" and pushed off for my next 75.
I thought it was the height of rudeness and arrogance to a think she can get me to move. A) I was doing interval work, and b) I was almost done (she'd not know that ). There was no way I was going to stop climb out walk over, wait to get this guy's attention and then start swimming again for 400 yards.
Was I selfish, or justified in my response?

ensignada
June 21st, 2007, 11:25 PM
To us, you were more than justified.

To her, you seemed like a jerk.

She'll get over it. And if she doesn't, :dunno:.
She probably had no clue what an imposition her request was.

Allen Stark
June 21st, 2007, 11:48 PM
Rich,she asked if you minded ,you did and told her so,end of discussion. It was your lane,if she wanted to swim with someone else she should have found her own lane. My rant is (generally really slow)people who think it's OK to cross my lane to get to the ladder 2 lanes away.They generally cross right before I want to leave on my interval.Even worse are the ones who think they can cross in front of me as I am swimming in for a turn or a finish. I always have to slow down to avoid hitting them,throwing my time way off.

MichiganHusker
June 22nd, 2007, 12:54 AM

I'm swimming, a girl comes up to the lane. Not wearing a real race suit or training gear.
I said "OK" a bit taken aback with the lack of asking and using please and thank you, but at least she didn't just jump in as I was heading for the turn.
"Hi, do you mind doing me a really big favour; can you go swim in that lane?" She points to a lane two over where there is guy already swimming. Basically she wanted me to move so she could swim with her mother or friend.
I thought it was the height of rudeness and arrogance to a think she can get me to move. A) I was doing interval work, and b) I was almost done (she'd not know that ). There was no way I was going to stop climb out walk over, wait to get this guy's attention and then start swimming again for 400 yards.

Does she not know that you are Swimstud?!?

Seriously, you were justified and there is nothing wrong with not caving to her request. Whenever people like that try to invade on my workout, I yell at them (but only in my head) and I say "Hey! I'm a semi-professional here and this lane is for SERIOUS swimming only!!! You should NOT be trying this at home! Do I step onto your treadmill or elliptical machine and ask you to get off? Noooooooooooooo." And then I go into the old Steve Martin phrase , "well excuuuuuuussssssseeeee meeeeeeeee!"

And I feel MUCH better. :lmao:

If I'm REALLY steamed, I follow up the yelling in my head with a few really hard and splashy flip turns while the offender is resting in between laps, you know the really loud kind that cause no physical harm, but are extremely intimidating. They usually find another lane within a few minutes after that. Works every time!

BabsVa
June 22nd, 2007, 07:00 AM
My turn!

Slow Moving Objects - should be required to wear a giant Day-glo orange triangle on their behinds. Especially when they do not comprehend circle swimming as a concept. Head-on collisions ensue. Ow.

Sharing a narrow lane - I can touch both lane lines when I reach out so how wide can that be - less than 6 feet - can be dicey, works out OK if you swim with friends 'cuz you sure gonna get to know each other!

Can I add - explaining lane etiquette in a foreign language - how the h&ll do you say 'lap lane' in French anyway.

Slowswim
June 22nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
This is an anti-rant.

There must be some Big meet in the Atlanta area. I arrived at the pool and there was one noodler. She left after a few minutes and I was alone. About 20 minutes later and good swimmer got, swam 10-15 minutes and left. Alone again. A few minutes later a noodler got in the lane next to me, but left when my Back Stroke was splashing too much. I can't believe HE was that worried about his hair. :shakeshead:

I had the pool to myself for the next 30 minutes!
:party2:

After changing, I left the Gym. I could see the pool as I exited, my private pool was still empty. Never seen that before, but enjoyed it.:drink:
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

islandsox
June 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
If somebody too slow consistently insists on going up front, I think The Rules allow you to swim right over them if they obstruct you from passing. Just grab the ankles and go over the top.

Hey, I've done this before and I've even had to do it in a tri swim because 2 fellows would not let me pass to the left or right or go inbetween, so at the last buoy I just swam on top of them and voila, I was in front. They had kept me from passing for about 200 yds and I got tired of it; I even went way left and way right and they would cut in front. Not a normal occurrence though; that's the only time it happened to me in a competition. When I used to train in pools and someone who was first in the lane was too slow, I would make a U-turn right before they got to the wall to get in front of them. Desperate times=desperation actions (sometimes).

BillS
June 22nd, 2007, 11:39 AM

Or maybe she was worried one of your clothespins might come off. If it ended up floating in the lane and she inhaled it, bad things (e.g. choking; asphyxia; death) may have ensued. It is a good look, though.

The Fortress
June 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM

I'd have said forget it too. She was the selfish one.

I was swimming in lap lanes at an outdoor pool last weekend. I was splitting a lane with a perfectly nice lanemate. Then some lady jumped in our lane and asked if she could swim breaststroke down the middle. Huh? WTF? I said she could if she wanted to get run over. I was in a testy mood. Then, later, some kid just hopped in at the other end and started swimming one my side of the lane right at me. That pissed me off too. Then it happened again. Kids apparently think it's just fine to hop in an adult lap lane and swim over adults doing workouts or swimming laps. I couldn't believe the lifeguards didn't even say anything. I don't usually have any trouble lap swimming, but I won't go on a Saturday afternoon at a public pool again.

Amber23
June 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
You can show no mercy with kids. I usually tell them once to stay out my lane, if they get in again I will just keep going and not care if I splash, kick or run them over. It works.

SwimStud
June 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
You can show no mercy with kids. I usually tell them once to stay out my lane, if they get in again I will just keep going and not care if I splash, kick or run them over. It works.

I tend to be a bit TI with my front crawl I can't see what's coming...I collided witha young guy doing backstroke. He was a good swimmer, sharing the lane well but just strayed off course. I was concerned I'd hurt him.

Lifeguard offered to toss a kid out of the lane I was waiting on one night (it was adult lap) but he was swimming nicely. So I told her to let him alone. If he was being a goof or such, then yeah I want my lane, but he was working sensibly and I had lots of time to spare.

Amber23
June 22nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
I tend to be a bit TI with my front crawl I can't see what's coming...I collided witha young guy doing backstroke. He was a good swimmer, sharing the lane well but just strayed off course. I was concerned I'd hurt him.

Lifeguard offered to toss a kid out of the lane I was waiting on one night (it was adult lap) but he was swimming nicely. SO I told her to let him alone. If he was being a goof or such, then yeah I want my lane, but he was working sensibly and I had lots of time to spare.

I am talking about the kids that are not swimming laps. Just swimming for fun across all the lanes, etc.

The lifeguards at my Y are pretty worthless.

SwimStud
June 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
I am talking about the kids that are not swimming laps. Just swimming for fun across all the lanes, etc.

I get those too. The best was the little girl who kept bobbing around on my lanerope and cutting across etc...all the while her father was diligently helping his son's swimmming techinique in the lane next to mine.

Allen Stark
June 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
I observed a swim instructor telling his students that breaststroke kick is"up out,and back.":notworking: I wish swim instruction would get in the 21st Century.I'm still bitter that the Red Cross didn't want me to swim whipkick with side stroke(for me it was much faster and stronger.):dedhorse:

geochuck
June 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Need we even mention the redcross swimming. The Canadian breastroke champion was failed in breaststroke, by the redcross after arriving home from competing in the Olympic games breaststroke events.

Warren
June 23rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
I don't like it when the head ref sucks and doesn't know whats going on. For example, one of my swimmers got dq'ed in backstroke for a noncontinuous turn, except they didn't do a back flip turn, they did a perfectly legal open turn....???

webfoot
June 23rd, 2007, 10:28 PM

hmmmm.... I used to deal with them by just swimming a lot swifter than they think you are when they are say cutting across the lane......when there is an almighty collision (that you are prepared for ;)) ......you act very apologetic & hope that their parent then tells them to keep out of the way

When I was coaching an age-group team at a local Y & we had smartass footballers hanging about & placing things over the lane ropes, I would quickly give my lot a set of 12.5m or 25m Fly sprints & 'allow' them to swim with clenched fists on the recovery :woot:I did have conerns about their shoulders ( RC ) though if they were to have an impact. :sad:

ThomasK
June 24th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Kids cutting across my lane: two types the young girls practicing synchro moves etc. I can deal with as they are having fun in the water and practicing their thing.

Yesterday though there are some 20 year olds at the end of BOTH lanes in an open 50 m pool kissing and having fun and going back and forth across the lanes. The pool was open on both sides of the only two lanes set up.

I almost hit one while I am warming up and I change lanes. Then in my main set one of the girls being carried by a guy says to me when I have to stop 50 into a 400 "what's your problem? we are just moving across the lane."!

Needless to say I was ready to do sets of 50's fast with closed fists!!
-Thomas

Amber23
June 25th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Friday there was a woman who just layed on her back across the lane line into my lane. I was in the middle of swimming, so it was pretty clear I was there. I was going to just run her over, but I felt like being extra bitchy, so I stopped and gave her a little talking to.

SwimStud
June 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Friday there was a woman who just layed on her back across the lane line into my lane. I was in the middle of swimming, so it was pretty clear I was there. I was going to just run her over, but I felt like being extra bitchy, so I stopped and gave her a little talking to.

hahaha, how did that go down?

Amber23
June 25th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Let's just say I didn't have to tell her twice. ;)

Really though, I need a sign that reads "Amber's lane, stay the f*** out." :p

The Fortress
June 25th, 2007, 12:48 PM

I think I need that sign as well! I've decided summer is a bad time for attempting to do a real workout in lap lanes. Too many kids. I went to the rec center last week. One set of backstroke flags was gone, so the kiddies could dive. Noisy kids everywhere. Some dumb kid walked right up to my lane while I was swimming and picked up my fins and monofin like they were pool toys and walked away with them. Luckily, I was almost to the wall, so I stopped her. (Luckily, stupid kid did not drop it on her toe.) WTF? Parents let their kids do that nowadays? There were kids attempting to hop in the adult lap lanes constantly. Duh, it's ADULT swim. Pisses me off. Every pool I go to this summer it seems to be a problem.

:dedhorse: :sad:

3strokes
June 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Unfortunately most bad "swimmers" (although it's an insult to swimmers to call these people swimmers) can't read.

They can's read a simple, four-letter word, that starts with "F" followed by one vowel and two consonants.
I thought everybody in english-speaking countries could understand a sign that says, "FAST".
(and I don't mean, "don't eat").

poolraat
June 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM
What is it with some parents? When I was lap swimming last week, about halfway through a set of 400's, the pace clock I had set on the deck at the flags goes missing. I finish my repeat and look around and it is by a bench where kids are sitting (with parents) waiting for their swimming lesson. I yell at them to put it back and then they don't put it in the same place so I have to stop my workout, get out of the pool and put it back where I had it. Grrrrr!!

And while I'm on a rant....why does pool staff schedule swim lessons during ADULT lap swim and take half the pool away from lap swimmers? Why can't they do this during open swim? Again...GRRRRR!!!

I think I need that sign as well! I've decided summer is a bad time for attempting to do a real workout in lap lanes. Too many kids. I went to the rec center last week. One set of backstroke flags was gone, so the kiddies could dive. Noisy kids everywhere. Some dumb kid walked right up to my lane while I was swimming and picked up my fins and monofin like they were pool toys and walked away with them. Luckily, I was almost to the wall, so I stopped her. (Luckily, stupid kid did not drop it on her toe.) WTF? Parents let their kids do that nowadays? There were kids attempting to hop in the adult lap lanes constantly. Duh, it's ADULT swim. Pisses me off. Every pool I go to this summer it seems to be a problem.

:dedhorse: :sad:

Warren
June 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM
And while I'm on a rant....why does pool staff schedule swim lessons during ADULT lap swim and take half the pool away from lap swimmers? Why can't they do this during open swim? Again...GRRRRR!!!

I feel you on the swim lessons. About a month ago when I was swimming laps at the Y I got throw out of my lane because of swim lessons. There are these signs next to the lanes that say lap swim and the instruter flips the sign around to swim class when I was resting in between sets, and all the other lanes were taken so I just got out. I was at the opposite so I gave her a stare down. Then I go look at the lane schedule and see that it is supposed to be lap swim. Luckaly I didn't have to wait long for a lane to open but that was bs.

Noodles Romanoff
June 25th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Geeezzz

What a bunch of whiney prima donna’s. You guys sound worse than my 2 year old. My lane…MY lane MY LANE!

News flash your $3 does not entitle you to “ownership” of 1/8 of a public pool. What part of public don’t you understand? If sharing is so repugnant to you then rent the whole facility or better yet go build your own pool. Then you can have the whole place to yourself.

Some of you actually are looking to intentionally hurt others? Man, that’s not only childish it’s criminal. If there people swimming in the pool who are not following pool rules, then ask the pool management staff to enforce their rules.

And let me get this straight, this is Masters Swimming, where the first objective is to encourage and promote improved physical fitness and health in adults. Many adults engage in water aerobics to improve their physical fitness and health. So is the objective to only encourage these people as long as they stay away from YOUR pool? And heaven forbid swim lessons occur in YOUR pool, this could only serve to encourage more people to take up swimming as a life style choice and encroach on YOUR lane.

One more new flash… fast is relative. If you swim your 50 in under 20 seconds you are fast. Anything over that and there is a group of swimmers out there who would be able to call you slow.

If you are having problems with other swimmers in a public pool, try communications or get the pool management involved. But at the very least could you try to act like adults?

jim clemmons
June 25th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Geeezzz

What a bunch of whiney prima donna’s. You guys sound worse than my 2 year old. My lane…MY lane MY LANE!

News flash your $3 does not entitle you to “ownership” of 1/8 of a public pool. What part of public don’t you understand? If sharing is so repugnant to you then rent the whole facility or better yet go build your own pool. Then you can have the whole place to yourself.

Some of you actually are looking to intentionally hurt others? Man, that’s not only childish it’s criminal. If there people swimming in the pool who are not following pool rules, then ask the pool management staff to enforce their rules.

And let me get this straight, this is Masters Swimming, where the first objective is to encourage and promote improved physical fitness and health in adults. Many adults engage in water aerobics to improve their physical fitness and health. So is the objective to only encourage these people as long as they stay away from YOUR pool? And heaven forbid swim lessons occur in YOUR pool, this could only serve to encourage more people to take up swimming as a life style choice and encroach on YOUR lane.

One more new flash… fast is relative. If you swim your 50 in under 20 seconds you are fast. Anything over that and there is a group of swimmers out there who would be able to call you slow.

If you are having problems with other swimmers in a public pool, try communications or get the pool management involved. But at the very least could you try to act like adults?

The Noodler brings up some worthwhile points.

proberts
June 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Noodle on.

ensignada
June 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the forum, Noodles. Congrats on your first post being a cannon ball. You obviously fit right in.

(if you're an alias, disregard above comment)

Mausy
June 25th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Noodler,

The whole purpose of a swim rant, is to rant. Therefore, in a swim rant discussion you will read of people ranting. Ranting is like venting. We all need a forum to express what makes us angry and ticked off. Ranting is not looking at something objectively and from all angles. Ranting is what this discussion is and I would expect you to understand that some of us need to rant, not discuss these things logically. If you cannot understand the purpose of ranting, perhaps you should not read this thread!

proberts
June 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I think he was ranting...against the ranters.

Dobbie
June 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM
At some stage we have to move beyond ranting or we cogitate in a state of helplessness.

Heres what I implement in my lane(my lane is always the one with the warm water outlets -so stay out).

Problem A. Slow male with large muscular but inflexible body enters lane and pushes off just in front -he beleives his superior body and faster arm motion will keep him there.
Solution.Swim medium freestyle for 50 meters then push off just behind him,gain momentum,pull directly up behind and go right under his body but turn onto back as you swim below and look up smiling.Use freestyle kick then one large pull and twist and exit in front and resume medium pace freestyle.Ego damage is drastic and he wont recover.80% move over to next lane.
Problem B.Slow female enters lane and swims continually without allowing you to pass at ends.Line them up at the half way point of a lap and gently swim up the inside of them(the wrong side).They'll be confused but often they wont move the first time.Wait 2 more laps and then repeat for maximum effect.They appear not to be confused the second time and move over immediately.
Problem C.Reasonably fast swimmer wants to sit on your feet and prove his worth.OK under most circumstances but if he has pushed off in front or wont stop to let you pass then he must be moved on.Stop at one end and wait for him.Push off in front and swim slow backstroke.Allow him to think he can overtake but steadily increase speed and keep his pace high until he has to stop.Then immediately swim a lap butterfly to finish the ego damage.Think of it this way.Your'e helping him get fit and if he doesn't want that he'll move over.

I have solutions for all other problems that can occur.Many are only used under extreme cicumstances.All have been tested.

gufyduck
June 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
I have a rant to add on behalf of my mom (who has been joining me at the pool on Saturdays).

Last Saturday, she had someone get in her lane, without asking, while I was talking with the life gaurd (who is also a coach, and often gives me free advice). This lady was so horrible, she was not swimming down the middle of the lane, she was swimming in a zig-zag pattern. To top it off, she kept stealing her kick board, the extra kickboard my mom had brougth for me, and a third kickboard, all of which ended up on the far side of the pool. I swear, if my mom had the ability to do fly, I would have told her to do a few lengths of it with closed fists.

Oh, and later I asked my mom why she didn't just say "Can you join in over in this lane, I am waiting for my daughter?" Turns out, the queen of the zig zag couldn't even speak english.

Slowswim
June 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM
The Noodler brings up some worthwhile points.

I think he is HWINTBM and doesn't have a point. Public pools follow rules: Adult swim is, Taking what doesn't belong to you is stealing, there is no reward for rudeness, lap swimming is for lap swimming...

All rants are because a swimmer was wronged by rudeness or out and out bad behavior. Neither is excusable.

Don't kowtow to someone who points out the obvious but misses the sublime.:bitching:
</IMG>

Allen Stark
June 25th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I agree with Mausy.People were talking about their frustration and what they felt like doing. No one actually ran into anyone on purpose.I don't recall anyone was seriosly advocating we get special rules(though of course I'd like that),we would just like respect for the rules and good manners.

geochuck
June 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
As far as I am cocerned rants are good, noodlers are not. :groovy:

SwimStud
June 25th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Today I will:

Saunter on to the pool deck in ridiculous yellow patterned baggies. Do some Tai Chi to show everyone I'm limbering up.
Join a lane with some guy, swimming relatively fast front crawl, when he is at the far end.
Make sure to get on the same side that he has been swimming on since he spotted me doing Tai Chi. Only perform a really slow sort of backstroke and cause him to wonder what he ran over.
Swim so slow that as he comes back down the pool he touches my toes. Giggle like a girl at him and wonder why he scowls and walks in the last 10ft of the length after having his 75 interrupted.
Get out after a maximum of 100 yards and stretch on the pool deck and then leave as mysteriously as I arrived.:frustrated::frustrated::frustrated::frust rated:

Noodles Romanoff
June 25th, 2007, 10:58 PM
The whole purpose of a swim rant, is to rant. Therefore, in a swim rant discussion you will read of people ranting. Ranting is like venting. We all need a forum to express what makes us angry and ticked off. Ranting is not looking at something objectively and from all angles. Ranting is what this discussion is and I would expect you to understand that some of us need to rant, not discuss these things logically. If you cannot understand the purpose of ranting, perhaps you should not read this thread! So, you mean I wasn’t ranting properly?

I think he is HWINTBM and doesn't have a point. Jim didn’t have a point, you don’t have a point or you didn’t get my point? And HWINTBM???
He Who Is Not To Be Maimed?? Ion incarnate!!.

All rants are because a swimmer was wronged by rudeness or out and out bad behavior. Neither is excusable. Similarly to how Cho Seung-Huiwas was wronged by rudeness or out and out bad behavior his Virginia Tech classmates, before he went on his killing rampage?

As far as I am cocerned rants are good, noodlers are not. You’re half right.. Rants are good, but you misspelled Canadians:groovy:

swimr4life
June 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the discussion forum? :doh:
Lighten up Francis!

The Fortress
June 25th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Geeezzz

Noodler:

You're way off base! I share my lap lanes gladly with all. I never discourage anyone, even noodlers, from swimming with me. I've had almost no problems swimming in lap lanes before this summer. I'm used to lanes being closed for swimming lessons as well.

I only ask that people follow the rules. Kids shouldn't steal my stuff. I should have backstroke flags. Adults swim in designated adult lap lanes.

As for your contention that masters swimming is only to promote health, that's your opinion. If all I wanted to do is get healthy and swim laps, I'd go back to my LSD running. I like the competition aspect of masters swimming, so :thhbbb:. To each his own. I do a lot of things to be healthy besides swimming.

As for fast, very few people in the world go under :20 for a 50 free. I think many of us are fast even though we don't meet that artificial benchmark for elite younger swimmers. :cheerleader::thhbbb: