PDA

View Full Version : Pan Pacific 2006 Swimming Championships

Peter Cruise
July 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I just received my tickets for 2 days of this years PanPacs in Victoria, B.C. Aug 17-20. I will be seeing heats & finals day 2:
100 free, 100 brst, 400 IM, 800free relay; heats & finals day 4:
200 IM, 50 free, 200 brst, w800 free, m1500 free, 400 medley relay. I am stoked to see Phelps et al, possible Japanese-American clash 100brst etc. This, I think, will be the signature international meet of the year (except Masters Worlds, of course) and I would urge anyone within reasonable travel distance to consider attending, as it is a great spectator pool & very fast.

I am disappointed though, that Amanda & her wedgie likely won't be there...

cjquill
July 8th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Any chance this will be on Canadian TV? I'll be up that way and would love to see it!

geochuck
July 8th, 2006, 07:55 PM
The event will be broadcast on TSN in Canada and NBC in the U.S. The worldwide TV audience is expected to reach 200 million while organizers anticipate the championship website will receive seven million hits a day.

http://www.swimming.ca/swimming/index_e.aspx?DetailId=2614

knelson
July 9th, 2006, 01:44 AM
It does seem like a good excuse to get up to Victoria. I'll definitely think about it. Any idea how much spectator space there is at that pool, Peter?

Peter Cruise
July 9th, 2006, 02:18 AM
They say over 2000, which is what they squeezed in for the Commonwealth Games, but I'd expect less. I'm expecting that that someone will throw down at least one absurd time, it always seems to happen midway between olympics. My choice is Phelps in 200 IM.

Peter Cruise
August 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Now I'm really getting psyched! After many breathless days spent staring at the rich visual treat that is the Hy-Tek real-time results, I turn my attention to my two days (this Fri & Sun) that I get to watch, in person, the PanPacs (heats & finals). I mentioned in another thread that I think Hansen could get below 59 seconds for 100 breast (he said the other day that he felt lots more in the tank) and that Phelps may have been aiming at this meet (in which case anything could happen), but now Roland Schoeman just went under 21 secs (20.98) for scm 50 free & he is coming (and I will see that).

Any fearless predictions, male or female, individual or relays?

Jeff Commings
August 13th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Peter Cruise
...I think Hansen could get below 59 seconds for 100 breast (he said the other day that he felt lots more in the tank)...

He also said he was disappointed in his swims at nationals.

I broke a world record at masters worlds, and while I didn't swim the time I visualized, I couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear until I went to sleep that night.

I used to like Brendan. Now he's getting too cocky for his own good.

I'd love to see what Schoeman pulls out this weekend. He was supersonic in workouts this summer.

Peter Cruise
August 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Yeah Jeff, you did very well for a guy with self-described 'weird feet'. I think Roland gets the record in 50m; Hansen does seem full of himself, but ya gotta like that stroke.

geochuck
August 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Pan Pacific Championships: Psych Sheets http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/11838.asp

jean sterling
August 17th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Any fearless predictions, male or female, individual or relays?

I pick Ryan Lochte in the 200 IM.

Frank Thompson
August 17th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by jean sterling
I pick Ryan Lochte in the 200 IM.

I don't know about this. Ryan has been closing the gap lately in this event, so it is possible. Michael has not lost this race since 2001, so if this happens it will be considered a major upset. Usually Michael wins by a close to a second but 2 weeks ago only won by .29, so it should be real close. I would say that Ryan's chances of winning are the same chances that Phil Mickelson has of beating Tiger Woods this weekend at the PGA Championship.

Tonight is the night to analyze both swimmers. Today in the prelims, Ryan qualified 1st ahead of Aaron Piersol with a best time of :53.78 to Aaron's :53.88 and Randal Bal at :54.09. This looks like an exciting race because everyone knows that Ryan is the best in short course with his :44.60 SCY time and his :49.99 SCM time. But this is Long Course where Aaron has been the king for the last 5 years and so until he gets beaten, I can't pick against him. I wonder if tonights winner will break the World Record at :53.17.

Also today I noticed that Michael Phelps did not do the double of 200 Free and 200 Fly. He qualified 1st in the 200 Fly at 1:55.30 ahead of Takeshi Mateshi of Japan at 1:56.22 and Ryuichi Shibata at 1:56.26 in the 3rd spot. What is interesting here is that these two Japanese guys were at World Record pace at the 150 mark. Shibata was at 1:24.31 and Mateshi was at 1:24.89. Phelps 150 World Record split at the 2003 Worlds was 1:24.28. The Japanese swimmer that qualified 5th at 1:56.84 (Takashi Yamamoto) was the one that gave Phelps a race at Athens getting the silver by .52 seconds. Its a good thing he is swimming this instead of the 200 Free because Japan could go 1-2-3 in this. I think this will be an exciting race and look for Phelps to win and possibly break the World Record from 2003 at 1:53.93.

Peter Cruise
August 17th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Good analysis, Frank- except each country can only qualify 2 swimmers in each finals, but as many as they want in heats; the reason that so many Americans are going lights out in heats isn't just to be one of the 2 for finals, however, they can also use these times to qualify for world champs next year & improve upon Nats times. Natalie Coughlin went so far as to skip 100back at Nats, because she could swim it here & qualify for Worlds (and maybe set a world record tonight).

geochuck
August 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM
First results are in? http://www.swimnews.com/News/displayStory.jhtml?id=4696
http://www.wcsn.com/article/news.jsp?ymd=20060817&content_id=3567&vkey=wcsn_news&dpre=

Omega results for today coming in shortly here click on Day 1 or Day 2 http://www.omegatiming.com/swimming/racearchives/2006/victoria_2006/index.htm

ande
August 18th, 2006, 01:07 PM
today's events have begun
you can watch the heats at:
http://www.omegatiming.com/livetiming/index.htm

peter have fun working the wedgie patrol
feel free to share your observations and comments.

ande

I just received my tickets for 2 days of this years PanPacs in Victoria, B.C. Aug 17-20. I will be seeing heats & finals day 2:
100 free, 100 brst, 400 IM, 800free relay; heats & finals day 4:
200 IM, 50 free, 200 brst, w800 free, m1500 free, 400 medley relay. I am stoked to see Phelps et al, possible Japanese-American clash 100brst etc. This, I think, will be the signature international meet of the year (except Masters Worlds, of course) and I would urge anyone within reasonable travel distance to consider attending, as it is a great spectator pool & very fast.

I am disappointed though, that Amanda & her wedgie likely won't be there...

aquaFeisty
August 18th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Was anyone 'watching' the men's 200 fly on Omega last night? Phelps was slightly behind at the 3rd turn and then won the event by over 2 seconds. I would have loved to have seen that last 50m.

wow.

aquageek
August 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
NBC is showing the meet next weekend. I guess I'm just happy they are televising it at all.

Frank Thompson
August 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Good analysis, Frank- except each country can only qualify 2 swimmers in each finals, but as many as they want in heats; the reason that so many Americans are going lights out in heats isn't just to be one of the 2 for finals, however, they can also use these times to qualify for world champs next year & improve upon Nats times. Natalie Coughlin went so far as to skip 100back at Nats, because she could swim it here & qualify for Worlds (and maybe set a world record tonight).

I have never heard of a meet run like this. It seems to penalize countries that have good depth in events and penalize them. It also puts other countries at an advantage because they do not have to go all out in the prelims to make the finals and can coast a little more and make it and have more energy for the evenings finals. Last night Randal Bal had to swim in the B heat and he had the second fastest time in the event. He was out faster than anyone at the 50 mark with no one pushing him. Tonight Eric Vendt is almost 10 seconds faster in the 400 IM then people in the A heat. Cullen Jones also has the same problem in that he may watch up to seven swimmers go slower than himself in the A heat. This seems like a stupid way to run a meet. What if someone in the B heat breaks a World Record and they would not be recognized as the Pan Pac Champion. Its not likely but possible.

I realize that times from the B heats can go toward qualifing for the World team but what ever happened to the Trials meet where you have to perform to make the team. It seems to me that this can create a lot of loopholes with swimmers trying to make the team. For instance, what if a swimmer in a Trials meet beats two swimmers that have faster times from a meet like this. Sounds like it could create a controversy. The only meet that I have ever heard of this format is the Olympic/World Trials to pick the top 2 swimmers in an event to make a team. Is this rule in because of what the USA did in 1976 in Monreal when they went 1-2-3 in 4 events?

Tonights big race is the Men's 100 Breast. Will Brendan take the momentum from the two World Records and beat Kosuke Kitajima. I remember Long Beach and how I thought he was a shoe in to win both events at Athens. Last years race in Montreal was decided by .16 so it will be real close and hopefully history won't repeat itself after Hansen set 2 World Records in 2004 and lost his next biggest race. I pick Hansen in a close one.

Rolland Schoeman is in an outside lane and he seems to swim the best when he is there and I pick him to win the 100 Free. Phelps and Hoff will win the 400 IM's. I am going to pick Amanda Weir to win the 100 Free tonight. I also pick Tara Kirk to win the 100 Breast also.

Jeff Commings
August 18th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Ya don't think Natalie's going to be pissed about losing the 100 back last night (and her American record in the 100 free) that she won't fight hard for this win?

I'm anxious to see if Brendan is prepared to back up his talk. Kitajima has battled illness this summer so he's said he might not be able to race Brendan. But we'll see.

Peter Cruise
August 19th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Wow- lotsa wedgies even without the estimable Ms. Beard. Sat through heats & finals today (Fri) and the place was jumping. Hansen looked lethargic on his first lap of 100brst, picked up last half when Rickard was at his shoulder at 75m mark, did 59.9.
Women's 100brst saw the 'B' finalist winner (Jessica Hardy) smoke the winning time from the 'A' flight, another weirdity of a strange qualifying process for finals. Crowd went went wild when Brent Hayden touched out Lezak for 100free with a 48.69; Coughlin looked very tough in her winning 100free & I swear would have clobbered the world record if she hadn't tightened up the last few strokes. Tara Kirk seemed to cruise the 400IM, taking it out slower than she has in the past, coming home very strongly and Phelps did just a routine 4:10 in his event (his breastroke is getting better and better).
Random obervations: believe it or not, at this level, I saw more than one swimmer swim circles rather than a straight line (and I don't mean just a little bit, or attempt to draft).
Saw much less of the single dolphin kick on the breastroke than I expected; some swimmers seem to be sticking it amid their bubbles from their dive rather than with their pullout.
Gary Hall was singlehandedly getting the American swimmers involved in their compatriot's races; leading cheers, yelling congrats after swims etc.
When the officials were led ceremoniously into the pool tonight, some wag played "Who let the dogs out?" on PA...
I am very tired, had two hour drive home after finals ended.
Rowdy seemed to get to the NBC booth late, after a swim during warmups, they put a shirt on him, but as far as I could tell he was wearing his wet trunks still while on air...
Met the father of Jessica Hardy, had a good chat with him that caused me to watch his daughter's swims very closely...watch out, Lethal Liesel.
More after finals Sunday.

knelson
August 19th, 2006, 01:10 AM
So does this mean Megan Jendrick is our for Worlds? She got touched out by .02 today by Tara Kirk, however Hardy botched her prelim swim, had to settle for 9th winning the B heat, but was faster than both Kirk and Jendrick. I assume this means Kirk and Hardy get the two Worlds spots, correct?

If so, I feel sorry for Megan. She missed out on the 2004 Olympic team by about a tenth of a second, too. Maybe she'll make it in the 200.

Frank Thompson
August 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Ya don't think Natalie's going to be pissed about losing the 100 back last night (and her American record in the 100 free) that she won't fight hard for this win?

No, I just thought that Amanda Weir would win based on the clip of the race I saw last week when she broke the American Record. She came back in :27.97 compared to :27.59 and that was the difference. Natalie was back in :27.98 compared to :28.33 last week to hold on and win by .05 seconds. Today I noticed that Natalie stratched the 100 Fly and will swim in the relay tonight. If she leads off, I wonder if she can break :53.58?

So does this mean Megan Jendrick is our for Worlds? She got touched out by .02 today by Tara Kirk, however Hardy botched her prelim swim, had to settle for 9th winning the B heat, but was faster than both Kirk and Jendrick. I assume this means Kirk and Hardy get the two Worlds spots, correct? If so, I feel sorry for Megan. She missed out on the 2004 Olympic team by about a tenth of a second, too.

Kirk, this is exactly why this is a stupid way to run a meet. Think if this keeps happening how it will screw the TV coverage up. You could have swims like Jessica Hardy's that they won't show because its the B Final. As a sponsor, Mutual Of Omaha should have a say about this. If two countries can't have more than 2 medals, fine, let the fastest swimmers swim by time in the fastest heats like masters do and figure out the awards later. This way the fastest swimmers will be in the best heats and it will be best for TV viewing. Figure that each country can only get 2 awards max based on the final swims. That makes a lot more sense then what they are doing now.

Today, Ito of Japan that beat Natalie in the 100 Back qualified 4th and has to be in the B Final with a 2:10.76 in the 200 Back. I could see her doing what Hardy did and not be the Pan Pac Champion. Ryan Lochte got hit twice today getting 7th in the 400 Free and not making any finals and getting 4th in the 200 Back and making the B Final. Let just say he hits the jackpot and has the fastest time but does not get to race the guys in the A Final. Same thing could happen with Peter Vanderkaay in the 400 Free.

Some good races tonight. I pick Crocker and Shipper to win the 100 Fly. In the 400 Free I am picking Ziegler in a close one over Hoff and Klete Keller based on his good 200 swims in the relay and individual event. It will be interesting to see how the 16 year old Park from Korea does tonight.

In the Women's 200 Back its a toss up and anybody could win. Kristi Coventry is usually the favorite in this but is not having a good meet so far. Maybe this event will change things. In the Men's 200 Back Micheal Phelps maybe the best swimmer in the world but he is not the best backstroker in the world and that title belongs to Aaron Piersol and until he gets beaten I cannot pick against him tonight in the final.

The USA will win both relays and the surprise here is that South Africa for the second year in a row as not entered a Men's 400 Free relay in the major international competition. Last year in Montreal they had 3 out of the 4 swimmers from 2004 at the meet and had another fast guy and did not swim the relay. This year they have two from that relay plus Gerhard Zandberg that was in the 100 Free. I am surpised they keep ducking this event especially since they are Olympic Champions and World Record holders.

I will predict that at next years World Championships the Men's 800 Free Relay will break the World Record held by Australia. Those guys dropped 1.3 seconds off the American Record and were only .62 seconds from the World Record at 7:05.28. Maybe if Phelps didn't have the 400 IM right before the relay they might have got it. I am not sure if the 400 Free Relay can match the efforts of the 800. If they can then they get the World Record tonight.

Peter Cruise
August 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I agree that it is a screwy way to run things; I was one of the few people in the section I was sitting in who knew how it worked, so I ended up explaining it to everyone who all agreed (general public) that it was incomprehensible and unfair therefore must have been designed by a lawyer.

The committee in Victoria, for having only 5 months notice to stage this things have largely done a wonderful job; plenty of cheerful volunteers, but where Swim Canada are involved they show a glib contempt for the public that was personified by keeping our lineup for finals waiting in the hot sun with no shade whilst federal official VIP's were gadded about the premises.

Most of the Americans I've spoken to seem to wish to retire to Victoria and the rest of the island, they certainly have been seeing in fabulous weather. I can only thank our lucky stars that the Geek didn't come up to see the meet...

Watch out for the Brazilian men's team in a few years, they're coming on big time.

Tomorrow morning I get up early, drive a couple of hours & see what Michael plans for his 200im...I predict a new world record for US in the 4x100 Men's medley relay.

knelson
August 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Most of the Americans I've spoken to seem to wish to retire to Victoria and the rest of the island, they certainly have been seeing in fabulous weather. I can only thank our lucky stars that the Geek didn't come up to see the meet...

Don't worry he's already mentioned his dislike of summer weather in the PNW in another thread. Something to the effect "summer is for sweating," if I recall correctly. If you haven't been here in the summer you don't know what you're missing, IMO!

Peter Cruise
August 19th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah Kirk, I did notice that remark; I did not question it at the time, after all, sweating, North Carolina and various unmentionable acts do seem to go together.

geochuck
August 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM
The 50m final should be pretty good lots of 22+ finalists.

aquageek
August 20th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by knelson
"summer is for sweating,"

I'm tired of sweating, it's been brutal this summer and football season hasn't begun yet.

gull
August 20th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Very sportsmanlike conduct by Schoeman after the 50 prelims (reported in the New York Times):

American Cullen Jones was fastest in the men's 50 free preliminaries, touching in 22.14. Roland Schoeman of South Africa was second.

Jones was part of the U.S. team that broke South Africa's 2-year-old world record in the 400 freestyle relay Saturday night.

''Cullen who?'' Schoeman said after the 50 preliminaries.

By the way, Cullen Jones is African American.

Frank Thompson
August 20th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by gull80
Very sportsmanlike conduct by Schoeman after the 50 prelims (reported in the New York Times):

American Cullen Jones was fastest in the men's 50 free preliminaries, touching in 22.14. Roland Schoeman of South Africa was second.

Jones was part of the U.S. team that broke South Africa's 2-year-old world record in the 400 freestyle relay Saturday night.

By the way, Cullen Jones is African American.

Gull:

There is more to the story than that and I linked it here - http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/sports/AP-SWM-Pan-Pacific-Swimming.html

What I would like to ask Roland is why he is standing on the sidelines watching this for 2 years instead of swimming and challenging the Americans. He complains that it has taken 2 years to break this record but at least the USA swims in the relay at big international meets and does not duck its competition. Last year the only swimmer they did not have was Darian Townsend and they had a replacement that was just as fast. They didn't even field a relay in Montreal. This year they are mssing Ryk Neethling but so what, put a relay out there and see what you can do.

Yesterday I said that the USA had a chance to break the World Record if they could match the intensity of the 800 Relay. They did that and more and with Piersol being hot from last night they have a chance to break 3:30.68 from 2004 in the Medley Relay tonight. Aaron will go for the World Record tonight and the key legs in my mind will be Hansen and Crocker (assuming Crocker swims and not Phelps). Jason Lezak had a great pressure split last night and I expect him to do the same tonight. He comes thru on those relays when he has to.

Benndan Hansen has the 200 Breast tonight and it will be the first time he will face Kosuke Kitajima in this event since 2004 Olympics. Kosuke did not qualify last year for this event when Hansen won in Montreal so this will be the first time Hansen could win head to head in this race. I didn't give Kosuke a chance judging from what he did in the 100 and a rumor of him being sick and off. His prelim swim suprised me but maybe he went all out because he had to beat two Japanese swimmers to get in the final. I pick Hansen here for a close win and maybe not a World Record. Just as the pressure is on Hansen to win there will be pressure for Megan Jendrick to win and make the World team. I am predicting she will win and have enough to make the time standard to qualify for the World team. What happen to Jessica Hardy in the 200 Breast? Going 1:06 in the 100 and then 2:37!

The 50 Free in both the Men and Women look good tonight. I am going to pick Cullen who to win and beat Rolland even though he just set a SCM World Record. I think Cullen can take last nights momentum and win. He is capable because he has already gone :21.94 at Nationals. I pick Kara Lynn in a close one with Natalie but it could go either way. In the 200 IM Katie Hoff is going to win and maybe hit or break 2:10.00 but I am not sure if she has enough for the World Record.

The Mens 200 IM is the race that everyone is looking forward to. Ryan Lochte stratched the 200 Back yesterday to get extra rest that he will need if he is going to win tonight. You would think that Michael would be tired from all the swimming he has done and this would be the time for an upset. Not likely. I just can't pick against Michael the way he is swimming in this meet. He seems to feel how to seal the deal when he is on the last 50 of his IM. The last time he was challenged in an IM was against Vendt in 2002 and it will take an even greater effort by Lochte than that to get the win. I pick Phelps by .50 but I don't believe he has enough in the tank for a World Record.

I am going to take the winners of last nights 400 Free in the Womens 800 Free (Shibta) and the Mens 1500 Free (Park) because they are swimming well but its really anybody race and it will come down to who has energy left after a long meet.

craiglll@yahoo.com
August 20th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by aquageek
NBC is showing the meet next weekend. I guess I'm just happy they are televising it at all.

Does anyone know when NBC is going to televise the program? I looked in our local newspaper's TV section and nohting was listed. Or at least I couldn't find it.

geochuck
August 20th, 2006, 06:25 PM
ABC said next Saturday. However I may be wrong in what I read.

aquageek
August 20th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by craiglll@yahoo.com
Does anyone know when NBC is going to televise the program? I looked in our local newspaper's TV section and nohting was listed. Or at least I couldn't find it.

According to TiVO, Sat at 2 pm and Sun at noon, ET.

geochuck
August 20th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Brendans breaststroke swim http://www.swimnews.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1158&Itemid=2

ande
August 20th, 2006, 09:34 PM
great IM race between Lochte and Phelps
Lochte has made huge improvements

also how about last nights world record 4 x 100 free relay
phelps lezak jones and walker
it's likely to take a 48 mid 100 free to make the US olympic team
i was glad to see jones finally let it rip in his 100 free on the relay he's been way too reserved taking it out, going out in 23.5 - 7
but his 22.2 is impressive

ande

geochuck
August 20th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Phelps just set a new world record for the 200IM

geochuck
August 21st, 2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by gull80

By the way, Cullen Jones is African American. Do you think he knows who Cullen is now???

Peter Cruise
August 21st, 2006, 02:16 AM
Well, I just got home from PanPacs, tired but happy after yelling my lungs out after witnessing two world records & many other darn fine races:

Whitney Myers just looked smooth as silk in laying the boots to Hoff in the 200IM, watch out tainted world record.

Michael & Ryan staged a battle for the ages that propelled Phelps to his new world record; the joint was hopping.

Coughlin actually swam too close to ropes in her 50, I think it hampered her stroke slightly (although it is hard to tell because she shortens her stroke drastically towards the end of the race).

Cullen Jones is the real deal, he will lower the world record to around 21.50 within the next year or so, UNLESS...he goes too far with his idea that he has too lay on some muscle as his next progression (he emphasized that in post-race interview). I'd want him to be very cautious with that.

1500 was enthralling, at the 600 the first 6 were within 3 tenths or so- then Vendt started to pull away from everyone but the Korean kid Park, who while not drafting Vendt did seem to sit on him (in retrospect), 'cause at the 1450 Park just lit up the afterburners and pulled away. I was sitting directly above his lane at the start end of the pool & when Park would come directly at me I was amazed at his absolutely quiet nonresistive stroke; it was beautifully frictionless looking & no wonder he had lots left for a finish.

Both relays fell a little short of world records but still were great swims.

I saw a confused older couple mistake Rowdy for an usher; he went along with it & helped them find the bathroom- what a class act he is.

G'night.

Sam Perry
August 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM

1500 was enthralling, at the 600 the first 6 were within 3 tenths or so- then Vendt started to pull away from everyone but the Korean kid Park, who while not drafting Vendt did seem to sit on him (in retrospect), 'cause at the 1450 Park just lit up the afterburners and pulled away. I was sitting directly above his lane at the start end of the pool & when Park would come directly at me I was amazed at his absolutely quiet nonresistive stroke; it was beautifully frictionless looking & no wonder he had lots left for a finish.

It was amazing watching the 1500 on the Omega site. It was so close for so long. What really impresses me about Vendt is the fact that he has only been back in the water for 3 months after a 2 year lay off. I don't know how anyone can go close to 15:00 for the mile with that little time getting back in the water. He is a true animal in the purest sense. Someday I am taking a trip to Ann Arbor just to watch that grop workout. Talk about competition.

Vendt - "Michael why don't you lead this set of 30X100M on the 1:05?"
Phelps - "Ok Eric, but Klete better not draft this time"
Keller - "I won't draft as long as Peter won't leave 3 seconds behind."
Sandeno - "You wusses shut up, I'll go!"

geochuck
August 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
I just wonder is the Park guy a long lost relative, my great Grandfather was a seaman and was all through that region and had a few wives on his trips to the orient.

Sam Perry
August 21st, 2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
I just wonder is the Park guy a long lost relative, my great Grandfather was a seaman and was all through that region and had a few wives on his trips to the orient.

There's a joke in there somewhere....

:D

Jeff Commings
August 21st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by geochuck
Brendans breaststroke swim http://www.swimnews.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1158&Itemid=2

This link is outdated. That swim is now the second-fastest in history.

Just wanted to say how proud I am of all the Americans at this meet. I think the Aussies who stayed home -- with the exception of Grant and Liesel -- should be quite worried about what the Americans did. That women's 400 free relay will be monstrous at worlds.

Deep down, I want Ryan Lochte to take that 200 IM record. But do it at the Olympics, on the world's biggest stage. He's improved so much in two years that I think he really deserves it. The fact that he was within two-tenths of breaking it proves that he wants it.

newmastersswimmer
August 21st, 2006, 02:37 PM
Deep down, I want Ryan Lochte to take that 200 IM record. But do it at the Olympics, on the world's biggest stage. He's improved so much in two years that I think he really deserves it. The fact that he was within two-tenths of breaking it proves that he wants it.

originally posted by Jeff Commings

I wonder why Ryan didn't swim the 400 IM? I understand that he scratched the 200 back to better rest and prepare for the 200 IM......but why not swim the 400 IM? Isn't he close to Micheal in that event as well?

Newmastersswimmer

p.s. BTW Nice job at worlds Jeff!

Frank Thompson
August 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
Jeff:

Thanks for the clarification of that link. As I was watching the clip I expected to see a lot closer race from lane 5. Then I realized that lane 5 was not Kosuke Kitajima because the guy didn't look like him and he congratualted Brendan on the swim and that would be a first. That must have been the prelim swim. Kitajimi was only .51 behind at the 100 and Hansen really pounded that last 100 to win by 2.37 seconds. I think Kitajimi went all out in the prelims just to make the final because he was the third seed behind his countrymen from Japan. In the finals he went .26 slower than his prelim swim and had nothing for the last 100.

I think the meet was great for the USA team. Phelps with 2 Individual World Records and Piersol and Hansen with one each makes this a better meet than Monteal was last year. And now we have a future star with Cullen Jones having a great 100 in the Relay and the win in the 50 Free at :21.85 and being less than .10 from Gary Hall Jr American Record. Speaking of Hall, I wonder why he didn't swim the 50 last night?

Ryan Lochte really showed everyone that he can swim Long Course this year and will challenge Michael in the future. Being .27 and then .24 from Phelps in the last two 200 IM races is the best he is ever done. Its too bad he didn't swim the 400 IM because the only event he had that day was the relay. Up until this past Nationals he has always been clobbered badly by Phelps in the 400 LCM IM. They have not gone head to head much but at 2004 Olympic Trials, Michael won by almost 10 seconds then this year at Santa Clara it was pretty much the same. Back in 2004, Ryan was the NCAA Champion and that year I believe he went 4:04 so his LC times didn't match up until this year. Last year he was 5th at Montreal in the 400 IM with a 2:13.67 and he still didn't match up to his SC times. The same with Backstroke in that he just smashed the short course records but has not had an impact in the International LCM formats. He has never challenged Piersol, or even Phelps or Markus Rogan. With what he did at NCAA's and SCM Worlds in China, people have been expecting a break thru and in the IM at least he is starting to seriously challenge Phelps and Czeh.

I think both Piersol and Hansen proved at this meet that they are definately the best and if they can both win in 2007 and 2008 then there is a good arguement that they could be the greatest in there strokes off all time. If this happens, Aaron Piersol will be undefeated for 7 years. He seems to do his best when he swims against Phelps in the 200 judging from WR at Long Beach and here. Cocker didn't have Phelps to push him so he didn't do his best time. His World Records in 2003, 2004, and 2005 have always been set swimming against Phelps.

The big suprise in the Women has to be Whitney Myers. Now Hoff has a challenger for the race to get the World Record. Myers had almost a 2 second drop and missed the American record by .06 and the World Record by .39 and I believe this WR will be gone at or before the 2007 World Championships. The big surprise for the men has to be Park. It will be interesting to see if he can keep improving as he gets older.

Peter Cruise
August 21st, 2006, 03:22 PM
Kitajima & Hansen did shake hands after the 200 (I was watching for it; it came after a pause while Hansen watched his finish replayed on the screen) & it seemed genuine.

I don't know what base speed Park has, but he will cerainly be a player for quite a while; getting down to Hackett territory is a question mark, though. I agree Vendt had a tremendous swim considering his short training, but also I think Park had decided to race him rather than necessarily try and blow away the field (if so, very well-disciplined of him). I cannot emphasize enough how much he had at the end.

The South African woman who won the 200brst has a beautiful gliding stroke, half the turnover of the two American girls. I don't think she can get down to Lethal territory in the race however.

I barely remember the women's 800 free, just shows how exciting the rest of the races were. When I woke up this morning I felt like I had been worked over by a 2 x 4, which I thought was a result of all the driving and maniacal cheering, but my wife pointed out that I always 'swim along' when watching good swim races (perhaps NBC will pick up a shot of me twitching & jerking while Hansen swam his 200brst).

knelson
August 21st, 2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Frank Thompson
Speaking of Hall, I wonder why he didn't swim the 50 last night?

Hall and Lezak tied for 4th, so one of them wouldn't have been able to swim finals. I heard they flipped a coin to decide who go to swim rather than doing a swim-off.

edit: no, wait a minute, since Schoeman qualified second, Lezak and Hall should have both been able to swim in the B heat. I don't get it. Seems like Hall should have been able to swim.

Maybe only three total swimmers from one country were allowed to swim finals (combined A and B heats)?

Peter Cruise
August 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM
Yup.

thewookiee
August 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM
Does Natalie Coughlin swim freestyle with a straight arm recovery or a variation of one?

BillS
August 21st, 2006, 07:50 PM
Here's the Jones/Schoeman part of the AP story for people who don't want to have to register for something to read it.

Rising U.S. star Cullen Jones won the men's 50 freestyle in 21.84 seconds, a Pan Pac record.

Roland Schoeman of South Africa took silver in 22.12. Canada's Brent Hayden earned bronze, his fourth medal.

Jones was part of the Phelps-led U.S. team that broke South Africa's 2-year-old world record in the 400 freestyle relay Saturday night.

"Cullen who?" Schoeman said dismissively after the 50 preliminaries.

He was piqued at a comment U.S. relay swimmer Neil Walker made about the record being back where it belongs.

"They've got some of the best swimmers in the world and for them to take two years to break our record, come on. Catch up you guys," Schoeman said.

Asked if he was on Schoeman's radar now, Jones didn't take his new rival's bait.

"Roland didn't really know who I was coming into this meet," he said. "He was asking around about me. Hopefully, it's a good thing because it's just competition and he and I can still be civil."

hrietz
August 21st, 2006, 10:08 PM
I wasn't very impressed with the USA women's 50 free times. That has to be encouraging news for Dara Torres. I read last week in USA Today that she is coming out of retirement to train for the 2008 Trials. She mentions a relay berth but actually I think that she has a better shot in the 50. She went a 25.98 just 3 months after giving birth so I would think that she could get down into the low 25's relatively easily. How exciting if a swimmer over 40 could make the US team!!!

geochuck
August 22nd, 2006, 08:16 PM
Times for Broadcast of events

TSN - Saturday, Aug 26 - 1:00pm EST

NBC
Saturday, Aug 26 - 2:00pm EST Sunday, Aug 27 - 12:30pm EST

cinc3100
August 27th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Talking about the Korean kid park-its nice to see someone from a different asian country than Japan which is the richest and China which has a strong state system like Russia use doing good in swimming.