PDA

View Full Version : Strength Training Poll

proberts
July 9th, 2006, 02:44 PM
How Much Strength Training do you do?

geochuck
July 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Hey it takes all of my strength to get out of a chair.

Xenadiva
July 9th, 2006, 07:16 PM
What qualifies as strength training?

proberts
July 10th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I guess I was thinking along the lines of dryland resistance training of any kind, weights, push ups etc. Personally I hate strength training and would love to do all my training in the pool. Since I train alone I was just wondering what other swimmers were doing. Thanks, Paul

Thrashing Slug
July 10th, 2006, 08:03 PM
No weights during race season, strength training consists of fins and paddles. Off-season, I lift maybe 2-3 times per week.

Usually when I lift weights I do 2 sets of 4-7 reps at the maximum weight I can lift (for each muscle group).. going for explosive power, until muscle failure. Otherwise it feels like I'm just re-training the same muscle fibers swimming already exercises. The exception is rotator cuff exercises, which I do at low weight/high reps.

You can probably tell I'm no fan of strength training either. I usually spend more time stretching.

dorothyrde
July 10th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Personally I love weight training, more than swimming(I know blasphemy!), but I have been weight training 25 years, swimming only 6. I find they compliment each other quite well.

Gulf Coast Swimmer
July 10th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I lift 3-5 times per week...more if I can afford the time. Building more muscle keeps me slim and raises my BMR!

JimCanSwim
July 11th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Since we're on the subject:

In relation to swimming, when do you do strength training? 12 hours from swimming? 6? 3? Also (if less) lifting before or after a swim workout?

I've been doing a 1/2 an hour a day of strength training. But it's mostly been lighter weights with more repetition to build more lean muscle.

Any opinions welcomed and appreciated!

JIM

dorothyrde
July 11th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I train both weights and swimming when I have time, so I cannot necessary try for the optimum time. I know that if I get up and train weights at 5 am, and then swim at noon, my swim suffers from the weight training. But the same does not hold true for swimming prior to weights. If I swim at 5 am or noon, and lift after work, I don't seem to have ill affects. Also, if I really work the weights hard, the next day, I really feel it in the pool, kind of a dead feeling in the muscles.

I rarely do meets, but when I do, I stop doing any lifting a couple weeks before so my muscles are more fresh. I find it is good to take a break like that anyway about every 6 weeks of a week off. But I consistently work hard with weights so need the break.

mattson
July 11th, 2006, 04:37 PM
My reply would be completely different if the question was "how much *should* you do". Swimming helps my endurance, but for some reason doesn't help out much with the muscle strength.

Dominick Aielloeaver
July 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I Like varity in my work outs. Like free hand excerise. Such as chins , push ups, dips , sit ups,etc. I also like weights , used in various excerises. As for swimming I am a lap swimmer , but ca n swim long distances free non stop. But my aim or goal is to keep three things in mind. Carido , Restesince, and common sense eating. Dom. ;) :cool: ;)

JimCanSwim
July 12th, 2006, 07:36 AM
I believe in those 3 things, too, Dominick. What I'm wrestling with right now is the proportions. (of resistance & aerobic). Last week I pulled one of the muscles in my shoulder. (This week I'm fine). But when I did that (still not sure how), I suspended all upper body muscle training.

I want to swim and do strength training. But I don't want to injure anything. It can be a delicate balance.

JIM

Dominick Aielloeaver
July 12th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Jim. I dont know how old youare. But when you strain or pull a muscle, no matter slight, you have to step back from exceriseing for a day or two. And try again but wityh caution. by that I mean go light , with less reps. A lot will have to do with height and wright . Mostly how long you been working out. Also remmber weights, free hand excerise, and areiobics , are different from one another. But all have a helping hand for swimming. And last but not least what type of excerise do you do. I always recommend a lot of reps . with weights light er with higher reps. Dom.:cool: :rolleyes: :)

JimCanSwim
July 13th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Dominick,

I just turned 50. And I did step back from the injury. (It was more than a week ago). I do use relatively lighter weights with alot of repetition.

And I do generally enjoy doing it. This year I started adding routines to strengthen the rotator cuff. I had already been working on the deltoids, but with much lighter weights. (usually 3's)

JIM

proberts
July 13th, 2006, 01:04 PM
What is considered high reps? 10-15 or more? Also what specific rotator cuff exercises do you do? I have access to a gym with some really nice machines, would these be good, or do you need free weights. Thanks, Paul

JimCanSwim
July 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM
10-15 or more. I do it with a program on PBS called Body Electric. (http://www.bodyelectrictv.com/) You don't really count the reps, you just do it with the music. Each song lasts 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.

There are a couple exercises for the rotator cuff. In one (holding 3 pound free weights in your hands) you start with the hands up, so that they're over the elbows. Then slowly lower your hands until your hands are under your elbows. Then lift them again until they're over your elbows. Your upper arms should be straight out, and your elbows should lined up with your shoulders. It looks like this:

http://www.geocities.com/werebear55/rotator.jpg

For a visual, go to:
http://www.binghamton.edu/athletics/strength/rota.pdf

They have better pictures to explain the exercise.

For some others, try:

http://familydoctor.org/265.xml

Hope these help!

JIM

proberts
July 13th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Hey Thanks Jim! Great info...I have had rotator cuff problems in the past, from years of rowing, swimming actually seems to help, I'll give your exercises a try. Thanks Again, Paul

Dominick Aielloeaver
July 14th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Jim. O.K Good Age. I wanted to tell you, that when you do light weights , with high reps, that evaluatly , you willhave to ghange the weight . What I mean is that if you are doing 3-5 sets at 10 reps , and it is easy than add on . weather it be weights ,carido or free hand excerise. I use this method , i pick certain excerises on the weight machines to help my swimming.I may use 5 different today 5 differnt excerises the next time . But the day iswim ido not excerise . I do not do both on the same day. But I always work my ABS when swimming or exceriseing.DOM.:) :cool: :rolleyes:

JimCanSwim
July 14th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Paul,

I'm glad I could help! I feel it's important to do strength training for all the muscles of the body. But, yes, as swimmers, I think we have to especially do work on our shoulders in general, and our rotator cuffs specifically.

Dom,

I'm trying to make it a good age! :D I have been adding different weights, but it depends on the muscle group. For shoulders, I've had to stay mainly to 3 lbs. But for biceps, I use 10 or 12. For pecs and triceps, I use 8. Back 5. But I do try to challenge myself and try doing a heavier weight from time to time. But as I've said, I don't want to overdo it and injure myself.

Thanks all for the comments!

JIM

dorothyrde
July 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Jim, you can also do the rotator exercise side lying and it is actually easier to isolate the actual area better because you are not straining to keep the arm upright(all though that improves muscle in other areas). You lie on your side with your arm at your side bent at the elbow 90 degrees and rotate the lower half up. You should not be able to rotate all the way to an L pointing at the ceiling, but fairly close. I never do anything heavier than 5 on these because they isolate such small muscles. I have been working rotator exercise since my late 20's when I started dealing with issue because of softball. Weight training has given me good solid muscle to support everything so I don't have pain.

SearayPaul
July 16th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Jim

Thanks for the picutures.

Have a great day

Paul

Zirconium
July 16th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Some more info on shoulder injury prevention:

Shoulder Strenthening exercises: http://www.svl.ch/files/shoulder_strengthening.pdf

Source: http://www.svl.ch/svlimmat_ratind.html

Swimmer's shoulder II by Larry Weisenthal
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3871/is_200007/ai_n8921740#continue

gull
July 19th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Swimmer's Shoulder II by Larry Weisenthal is probably the best article I've read on the subject. Here's the link to part I:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3871/is_200004/ai_n8886189

geochuck
August 18th, 2006, 08:16 PM
OK you know I like it simple here are some easy do exercises.
http://www.netfit.co.uk/swimming-web.htm