PDA

View Full Version : Rules - Fina World's - Compression Strap?

Xenadiva
July 9th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew if a compression strap (Cho-Pat) would be legal to wear at Worlds in CA.

Do the FINA rules allow this?

https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=6

Anthony Thompson
July 10th, 2006, 10:42 AM
FINA and USMS rules address issues like buoyancy and pacing devices, but not compression strap. A lot of the new "full body" swim suits also provide compression as part of the design. Other "auxillary" items are allowed like: swim caps, nose clips, ear plug, and even medical bandages.

I'll forward the question to the USMS Rules chair.

You might also ask the local organizing committee at Stanford.

ande
July 10th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I'd never heard of a compression strap
then I checked the URL

I thought it might be something women use to compress and flatten their frontal curves which might decrease water resistance for those who are amply blessed

I would think compression straps would be allowed since they are unlikely to float

ande

Originally posted by Xenadiva
I was wondering if anyone knew if a compression strap (Cho-Pat) would be legal to wear at Worlds in CA.

Do the FINA rules allow this?

https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=6

Kathy Casey
July 11th, 2006, 01:56 AM
There are two FINA rules regarding swim wear and accessories:

GR 5.3, p. 85 of the FINA Handbook, "...the competitor must wear swimsuit in one or two pieces which shall not extend beyond the ankles, the wrists and the neck. No additional items, like arm bands or leg bands shall be regarded as parts of a swimsuit."

and

SW 10.7, p. 139 of the FINA Handbook, "No swimmer shall be permitted to wear any device that may aid his speed, buoyancy or endurance during a competition (such as webbed gloves, flippers, fins, etc.). Goggles may be worn."

We were told last year that FINA did not allow the TYR Aqua Band sleeves (separate sleeves that cover the forearms) for competition.

I will contact a FINA rules expert specifically about the Cho-Pat and post the answer.

Kathy Casey, Chair
USMS Rules Committee

Kathy Casey
July 15th, 2006, 02:57 AM
The FINA Technical Swimming has not officially dealt with the Cho-Pat (arm band); they have dealt with the TYR arm bands and disallowed them. You would have to ask the referee at the meet about the Cho-Pat, but be aware that it might not be allowed.
Kathy Casey, Chair
USMS Rules Committee

Xenadiva
July 15th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Kathy,

What I don't understand is why the cho-pat and tyr bands are being compared to each other. Cho-pat is a medical device that compresses the tendon to prevent further tears and damage. It does not increase or enhance streamlining there is a big buckle on the side so this is obviously not the purpose... It defiantly would create drag if anything.

The Tyr bands are used for faster swimming without the hindrance of wearing a full suit. It would be like wearing a fastskin II full body style with the arms cut off and leaving just the forearm part on.

I guess I'll have to check with the ref then.

Kathy Casey
July 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM
As I said, FINA has not dealt with it yet. Since it is a FINA meet and not a USMS meet, I cannot hazard a safe guess as to how they will rule. I would err on the side of caution and be prepared in case they disallow it. It will have to be taken up with the referee at the meet.