PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for a mock meet

sundevil86
July 16th, 2006, 01:34 AM
I've been working hard over the last month and a half or so and I think I've improved a whole bunch working with Masters. I'm anxious to see exactly where I'm at in comparison with "good" times in my events: 50, 100, and 200 free, and 50 back. My Masters coach suggested that I set up a mock meet for myself, plan a day to do it about two weeks out and start preparing as if it were a real meet.

She's given me a little advice on how to prepare, but I want to hear from some other people too...what do I need to do to get ready for something like this?

Dobbie
July 17th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Masters coach suggested that I set up a mock meet for myself

Does your coach mean you turn up to training as usual but then just run through a short warm up and the chosen races ?
How realistic is he/she suggesting you go ?

sundevil86
July 17th, 2006, 05:49 PM
she wants me to treat this as a real meet, so that i can know what my absolute best time possible would be as a benchmark for how much more training i need before being ready to really compete seriously.

scyfreestyler
July 18th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I think you are ready to compete seriously already.

As far as getting an idea of your best times I would suggest resting for a few days, swimming a moderate warmup, and then giving it your all. If you normally take weekends off then make your first weekly swim your meet.

I suggest that you find the next meet in your area and sign up. Your times will be what they will be. You will then have something to work from. Remember, Masters is supposed to be about having fun.

Dobbie
July 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Go ahead and do the mock meet.
Why not decide now though and come back with a date so we can all follow the progress.You needn't wait for two weeks.You could do it even sooner.
Decide on 3 or 4 events and predict your times.Do a warm up and then do each race.Plan to start race one at say 9am and then the others every 15mins.Force yourself to stick to the start times.If you want it to be even more realistic then do one race every 30 mins etc..Hey... you could even eat pasta the night before.