PDA

View Full Version : How long before improvement????

Concho Pearl
July 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM
How long does it take before you start seeing improvement?

I know it's only be a month, but I'm not seeing much improvement in my 50 yd free time.

I do however feel like my body is with standing longer yardage, without stopping.

I swim an avg. of 3 days 30 mins avg. 300-400yds
1- day 60 mins avg. 800 yds. I use the workout room, 1 mile 20 min.-walk, different cable weights for 20 mins, 1 mile bike 1-2 times a week. No weight loss yet.

Trying to remember that I must really be improving it's just not showing yet.

Any advise??:confused:

dorothyrde
July 19th, 2006, 07:45 AM
What I have learned is the shorter distances are harder to improve and improvement is smaller. As you swim more, the distance swims will improve greatly. A month is a very short time.

Also, when we try to swim a 50 fast, our stroke tends to break down. Again, a month is not long enough to teach your body to retain the good stroke at a faster speed.

You also need to train speed to get speed, so once your base is at a good level, you need to train intervals a couple times a week. But training for this speed without the technique or base won't work real well.

Rob Copeland
July 19th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Concho Pearl

I do however feel like my body is with standing longer yardage, without stopping. Being able to swim longer without needing to stop IS improvement.

Also, as far as weight loss is concerned… this is more a factor of calories burned vs. calories consumed. While exercise will increase muscle mass, it won’t by itself reduce weight.

Congratulations on your improvement.

hofffam
July 19th, 2006, 10:40 AM
While exercise will increase muscle mass, it won’t by itself reduce weight.

Huh? Sure it will. Exercise consumes energy. A 170lb person swimming 30 minutes at a vigorous pace will consume about 500 calories. One pound of body mass = 3500 calories. The key to losing weight of course is a simple math issue: calories in < calories out.

Energy cost of exercise can be estimated here:

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm

rtodd
July 19th, 2006, 11:57 AM
I agree with dorothyrde

If you are fortunate to have excellent technique, it will be hard to gauge improvement in the 50. Try doing 200 or 500 yd time trials every once and a while. As a new swimmer this time should come down fast as your speed endurance improves.

Also a gage of improvement will be extending your distances. You need to work up to a 500, 1000, 1500 without stopping. Just a little at a time. How are you making out with upping your non-stop yardage?

Dont wait too long to incorporate interval training (like dorothyrde said, to be fast you need to swim fast!!!). This is imperative to improving good form. This good form will cary over into longer swims, where the stroke can break down from fatigue. You can start with a set of 10x25's, full recovery. Practice good form. When you get more comfortable, work up to 10x50's, 10x100's.

Make sure you swim with others and get help with your form.

BORN2BNH2O
July 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Ahhhhh the human body. It is truely amazing! Hang in there with the weight loss issue. Just keep swimming swimming swimming.

A month isn't a very long time. BUT don't be discouraged! you are on the path to body/mind transformation. Be patient. What and how much you eat is 90% of the process. Remember, your body needs fuel to burn fat and to recover after workouts.

I really like Body for Life's (book) regime for eating. It makes sense and it's a good starting point for revamping "old" eating habits.

Good Luck.

LindsayNB
July 19th, 2006, 06:19 PM
1- day 60 mins avg. 800 yds.
No weight loss yet.

Since you are currently averaging 10-13 yards/min I would think that your first priorities should be increasing your endurance and improving your technique. Increasing your endurance will allow you to practice your technique for longer periods of times and longer distances, and in turn improving your technique will let you swim longer and further and eventually faster.

Think of technique and endurance as foundations that need to be in place before you start to concentrate on speed. Keeping track of the distance you can swim should provide positive feedback in the short term while you build the foundations for your other goals. Endurance will be of the biggest help if weight loss is an important goal for you.

Good luck!

ande
July 19th, 2006, 06:29 PM
read swim faster faster

give us specific times
specific dimensions and facts about you

ande

I know it's only be a month, but I'm not seeing much improvement in my 50 yd free time.

I do however feel like my body is with standing longer yardage, without stopping.

1- day 60 mins avg. 800 yds. I use the workout room, 1 mile 20 min.-walk, different cable weights for 20 mins, 1 mile bike 1-2 times a week. No weight loss yet.

Trying to remember that I must really be improving it's just not showing yet.

Any advise??:confused:

Sabretooth Tiger
July 19th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Per Ande's request Concho, it's hard to offer even the most general comments absent knowing your age, gender, height, weight, swimming experience, etc.

Getting in 300 to 400 yards in a half hour will be seen very differently depending on whether you are a 25 year old male with excellent swimming skills (not likely) or a 90 year old woman with no competitive swimming experience . . .

my guess is that you're somewhere in between . . .

other questions:

any physical challenges/disabilities?
what is your current 50 free time?

Concho Pearl
July 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I'm a female age 44 soon to be 45
Currently weigh - 127lbs. like to loose another 10
I've been watching my diet for about 8 months, lost 10lbs, but have been sitting at the same weight now for maybe 4-6 months.

Swam competitive for 10years- 27 years ago on HS varsity swim team. Could have gone to state, but I let life mess with my head.

Like I said I've been swimming for 4 weeks.
I currently best 50yds was .35 secs. 100yds 1.20

I've researched times for my age group and I feel confindent I can better my times and be competitve again.
I'm trying to tell myself to give it a year.
I think I'm just try to find a breaking point with my weight and swim times. If anyone see it, please send it my way.

dorothyrde
July 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM
How tall are you because maybe the reason the weight is not coming off is because it is a good weight for you. With swimming, you will add some muscle mass, so you will appear smaller than your weight actually says.

your swim times are already good for your age and the number of weeks that you have been swimming. I suggest you work on building up your endurance. 300-400 yards is not a lot of yardage, so try to build up to doing 1000-1500 in that same 30 minutes. I think you will find that once your level of endurance reaches that amount that lowering your sprint times will become a little easier.

also, be careful about undercutting your calories too much in the quest to get the weight to budge. There is a fine line if you cross that you will hurt your training. You are not there because you are really not training that much, but as you train more, you will need to fuel more, and you will need to find how much you need to sustain the work-out, but lose the weight. Not easy and different for everyone, and different for a 20 year old compared to a 45 year old.

globuggie
July 20th, 2006, 08:47 AM
If you're only able to swim a few hundred yards a day, a 50 is still a long distance for you. Work more on endurance, gradually increasing both the total distance you swim and the longest you can swim without stopping. If you're currently doing 400 yds in 30 min, next week shoot for 450 yds each day, then 500 yds the next week. You may also want to work on technique. It sounds like you are reasonably in shape, but cannot move through the water efficiently. Find some drills to improve your stroke. Technique is why a very out-of-shape former swimmer is often a faster swimmer than a very in-shape runner with little swimming experience.

Sabretooth Tiger
July 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Concho,

As noted by others, increasing yardage should be a priority. Based on your stats, I'd think that you should target about 1500 yards in a 30 minute workout. Working out w/ a group/team and a coach would probably be great. Do you have that option?

And don't do the resistance training right before swimming . . . that'll prevent you from adding the distance.

Concho Pearl
July 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I'm 5' 4

I do my walking, bike and weights on differnet days than my swim days. I'm currently working out at our YMCA.

Another issue is I'm currently swimming an avg. of 3 days per week. I have a 14yr. daughter and we homeschool, how do I find a balance between what I want and what my family needs?

How do ya'll do it?

dorothyrde
July 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I think 5-4 and 127 is a good weight. 117 may be too thin, although without seeing your bone structure hard to tell.

I have an 18 year old and 13 year old, work full time and do lots of volunteer work with all of their activities, plus a few of my own.
I get up early to work-out, most mornings before 5. I swim at lunch a lot and eat at my desk(which probably is not a good habit, but do what I have to do).

About 10 years ago I switched from doing weight work in a gym to working out at home, which is much better for time management, although all the equipment tends to clutter my family room.

Your 14 year old would be having PE classes in school, so have PE classes at home and do your dry-land work-out with her or teach her to swim and get her in the pool as well. There is a homeschooler that swims with the adult lessons at the Y, and she seems to have a good time.

It is a matter of scheduling time for yourself and making sure your family knows this aspect of your life is as important as other things.

Concho Pearl
July 20th, 2006, 12:25 PM
I forgot to mention I do take her with me and work with her swimming. Right now I'm kinda doing about 150-200 on my own, then I do another 50 - 100 with her and switch back and forth.

I guess I just need to schedule some time just for my self. dorothyrde your are a great encourgement, thanks - I'm working on it I'm just find it sooo hard to get up early in the morning and swim. However it may be the best thing for me.

Also, the times I'm currently doing are pushed off the wall, I haven't even started working on my starts yet. How much can a person expect to shave off there push off time with a racing start?

ande
July 20th, 2006, 01:00 PM
thanks for some of your info
it helps
please test and provide us with times for your
100 and

what is your most important goal?

My initial suggestions are for you to do
more training
attempt to do more yardage per practice
and more practices per week
get a coach or training partners

do more stroke work to improve your distance per stroke and efficiency
it would help to see you swim
usually I can look at a swimmer and figure out
what's the most important thing to fix first

hope this helps

ande

dorothyrde
July 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I sometimes swim with my 13 year old. She is a good training partner, we are comparable in speed. It is fun.

If your starts are good, you can get at least a second, maybe more. I think your times right now are pretty darn good and if you work on your endurance, you will find them drop.

We women often tend to put everyone else first and forget to take time for ourselves. If morning does not work for you, schedule an hour at lunch, and hour later in the day, but say to yourself, this is my time, I deserve it, and stick to it! My family KNOWS not to bug me during my work-out time. They wait unless the house or dog or something is on fire. :D

ljodpundari
July 21st, 2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by hofffam

Energy cost of exercise can be estimated here:

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/jumpsite/calculat.htm
I notice that site isn't restricted to sports. They have such things as "bathing dog".

Of course for a real workout I could try "bathing cat".;)

Sabretooth Tiger
July 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM
Concho,

At this juncture, you're probably better off focused on increasing yardage rather than improving your 50 time. That will come with the yardage. You can worry about speed improvements once you get to a reasonable training level. IMHO you're not there yet.

You say that you can do a 50 in 35 secs and a 100 in 1:20 (I'm assuming SCY).

So why not do a 300 warmup, then

5 x 100 on the 2:00 then
10 x 50 on the 1:00

then a 200 cool down

there you are at 1500 and it should take you about a 1/2 hour.