PDA

View Full Version : OT--Lost my home page on my computer

msgrupp
July 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I have an HP desktop computer. It comes with a standardized home page that includes news and some links to video from sources like abc and cbs.

Was doing something with my spyware and lost the home page. Stupidly didn't have it bookmarked so I can't find it.

Can anyone help? I purchased the computer about a year ago from HP and it runs Windows XP 2nd edition.

knelson
July 19th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Maybe it was the msn home page? www.msn.com

bud
July 19th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Most browsers allow you to set any URL (web site) or HTML file (even one on your local system) as your “home page”. So you get to choose any home page you wish. I frequently suggest Google as a home page ‘cause it loads fast and you can generally get anywhere you want on the web pretty quick from there (with the right keyword[s]).

In most browsers, the easiest, simplest, and most bulletproof way to set your home page is to get it displayed in your current browser window, then use the menu option to set your currently viewed page as your home page.

In Microsoft Internet Explorer (MSIE) v6.x the set home page option is available through the following main menu bar sequence:
Tools >Internet Options >Use Current
(the “Use Current” button comes up on the default “General” tab of the Internet Options dialog box. Again, be sure the page you want as your home page is currently displayed before you set it. You can use Google (http://www.google.com/) to help you find a good home page if you do not already have one in mind.)

Again, most all browser’s have this easy "set home page" feature, and the process for setting the current page is pretty similar in all flavors. For example - In Netscape v7.x it is:
Edit >Preferences >Use Current Page
(The “Use Current Page” button comes up on the [default] Category frame under “Navigator”.)

Check your browser’s help file (or google <setting your browser's home page> (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=setting+your+browser%27s+home+page)) for more info. In the MS Windows OS (operating system) you can typically get help by hitting the “F1” key. This works for just about any MSW based program while you are using it.

Computers are dumb as a box of rocks, you have to tell them to do everything. Unfortunately there are some ways that others can tell them what to do without your really knowing it (like when that program changed your home page).

Good luck, and have fun!