PDA

View Full Version : Significant Other a Swimmer?

bbpolhill
July 21st, 2006, 04:06 PM
As someone who has been recruited to Masters swimming by my spouse who is a Masters swimmer, I was interested to find out what percentage of Masters swimmers have a "significant other" (partner) who is also part of USMS or USA Swimming.

SearayPaul
July 21st, 2006, 10:31 PM
My wife does not swim but she is my greatest supporter. Jane always encourages me to go swimming even sometimes when I don't get all of the work done. Come to think about it she is my favorite supporter of all my endevours.

Have a great day

Paul

Edward The Head
July 24th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I meet my wife at the pool a few years ago. Actually started talking to her at a meet.

osterber
July 24th, 2006, 10:05 AM
I met my fiancee at the pool swimming masters. We're getting married in three weeks.

-Rick

osterber
July 24th, 2006, 10:08 AM
... and there are at least three other married or engaged couples on our team that met through masters swimming, including the coach. (Disclaimer: the coach met and dated and married the other swimmer when he was "just a swimmer", well before he was the coach.)

There are probably more on our team if I think about it enough... I know we have other married couples on the team.. but I can't remember if they met before masters, or during masters.

-Rick

bbpolhill
July 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Congratulations and best wishes, Rick and to the other engaged couples on your team.

It is interesting to see how many have met through swimming. Our kids (now 16 and 13) actually started swimming before either of us. My wife became an age group coach shortly thereafter and has been a Masters swimmer for several years. Not your usual progression I admit, but it works for us. It has really helped us to appreciate how hard our kids work at practice and what top notch athletes swimmers are.

I am the last one to "drink the Kool Aid" so to speak and I am eternally grateful to my wife for her encouragement and support in everything I do.

tuck
July 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM
My wife and I got into Masters swimming through our kids too. My 11 yr old is still a USA swimmer and my 8 yr old is a diver. Last season my wife had the chance to swim in one section of the pool while my oldest swam with her team and the youngest dove with hers. Really, really cool but hard to duplicate, I don't know if we'll be able to do that again, but swimming is a family thing with us.

Oh yeah ! Gotta crow a little, my oldest swam a 3K Open Water this weekend, under and hour ! :)

aquaFeisty
July 25th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Met my husband on our masters team in Delaware. There was one other couple that met and got married on the team (he proposed to her by contacting the meet director of an upcoming meet and putting a special 'Will you marry me?' insert in the meet program... how cool is that?)

... and this was on a team of less than 30 people over the course of only 2 years!

Now we are out in Illinois and I can think of at least 3 now married couples that have met through masters swimming here...

TRYM_Swimmer
July 25th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Susan and I were probably one of the first Masters couples. We met at a Masters meet on St Patrick's day, '73. We were married the next year and our ten-week old son Dan attended his first Nationals at Knoxville LC, '75. Neither of our children were very interesting in competition, quitting after a year or two.

We have been involved in a number of firsts:

Charter members of DC Masters, '73
DC Masters Team Championship, Chicago LC, '73
Australia and New Zealand Masters meets, '74
1st two National Masters Synchro, Reading PA '75 and DC '76 (first mixed duet champs)
National YMCA Masters meet, Reading PA, 76

We've lived overseas and in small towns without pools, so we haven't been competing consistently, but lately we have been involved in forming another team:

Twin Rivers YMCA Masters, New Bern, NC

We are excited about being back in the groove, and are looking forward to seeing our friends from the early days.